By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should The Xbox Controller finally incorporate a motion sensor?

Hiku said:

I didn't know gyro aiming in shooters was a thing. And I don't know what would be best overall, but on PS4 I've only ever used it in one game that forced me to use it (Infamous 2nd Son), and I'd rather they hadn't.
So if the question is if I want this feature for myself, the answer is no.

I hated it for a while and, in Breath of the Wild, I just couldn't get used to it. Then I played more and more games that offered it and after a while, it felt almost necessary. Now, whenever I play a game without the option I feel handicapped. I even replayed BotW and loved it.

But that's just me. Everything isn't for everyone and if there's ever a need, I'm sure M$ could just make it a cheap add on for those that demand it.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Well Sony has already been doing gyro features, but is it a feature people say they care about? Honestly, I've been annoyed by games that forcing it in, it just made some Vita games worse.

I really don't care if its there or not. But I think its something Sony has to keep offering for BC reasons.

Gravity Rush games would be almost impossible without motion. They would much much worse if they didn't have it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Well Sony has already been doing gyro features, but is it a feature people say they care about? Honestly, I've been annoyed by games that forcing it in, it just made some Vita games worse.

I really don't care if its there or not. But I think its something Sony has to keep offering for BC reasons.

Gravity Rush games would be almost impossible without motion. They would much much worse if they didn't have it.

While this is possibly true, GR2 was such a glitchy broken mess, I wish they could find a better way. And I did finish the first one on Vita without motion controls because moving the entire system just made it harder to see what was going on.

*Edit* I got the remaster for PS4, too. Just never got around to beating it.

Ka-pi96 said:
A what? Like... Kinect? Nah, that's garbage. Don't want crap like that which will probably just make the controller more expensive. Would much rather have a cheap, reliable controller with good battery life *glares at Sony*.

Dunno why it quoted twice but anyway. Motion doesn't bring the batt life down like that. See the pro controller on Switch. 40 hours.

Last edited by Leynos - on 11 May 2020

If they do decide to add it, I hope the technology is better than other consoles' previous attempts. Even now, despite PS4 and Switch being mostly great, you still run into games where motion controls grind the fun to a complete halt.

Make software that really benefits and not just tack it on to games to check a box. Something like Flower or Super Rub-A-Dub would be ideal.

Around the Network

Nothing wrong with options for those who do want it and use it.

Nope, what games even use motion controls (outside of 1st party stuff)?

i agree with the majority its a useless gimmick that is being forcefed like the wii was

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Leynos said:
sales2099 said:

No thank you. I feel it’s a gimmick and is unnecessary 

You don't know what gimmick really means. Graphics are a gimmick. Playing movies is a gimmick. A video game console itself is a gimmick.

"A gimmick is a novel device or idea designed primarily to attract attention or increase appeal"

Everything about video games IS a gimmick. So if you don't want gimmicks then don't play video games at all. Motion in the controller is just an additional option and is very useful in some games esp shooters. Better than dual analog. It would create more appeal as more options for Xbox and right now the Xbox brand can take any additional appeal it can get no matter how big or minute.

Ya that’s a reaching comment if I ever saw it. Gimmicks are something used on occasion that aren’t the norm that superficially change up the gameplay. 

QuickTime button pressing, bullet time movement mechanics...those are gimmicks. Sony E3 2006 trying to use the gyro motion controls to fly a aircraft unsuccessfully, that’s a gimmick. Motion controls in general just aren’t accurate enough to do exactly what you want it to do sometimes. Just my take on the subject. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Leynos said:

You don't know what gimmick really means. Graphics are a gimmick. Playing movies is a gimmick. A video game console itself is a gimmick.

"A gimmick is a novel device or idea designed primarily to attract attention or increase appeal"

Everything about video games IS a gimmick. So if you don't want gimmicks then don't play video games at all. Motion in the controller is just an additional option and is very useful in some games esp shooters. Better than dual analog. It would create more appeal as more options for Xbox and right now the Xbox brand can take any additional appeal it can get no matter how big or minute.

Ya that’s a reaching comment if I ever saw it. Gimmicks are something used on occasion that aren’t the norm that superficially change up the gameplay. 

QuickTime button pressing, bullet time movement mechanics...those are gimmicks. Sony E3 2006 trying to use the gyro motion controls to fly a aircraft unsuccessfully, that’s a gimmick. Motion controls in general just aren’t accurate enough to do exactly what you want it to do sometimes. Just my take on the subject. 

I used the literal definition.  You used the internet lingo version because you don't like it. Same kinda person that uses terms like casual or hardcore as if really means something. Anything used to try more sales or attention is a LITERAL GIMMICK.