By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm being dramatic with awful, but it is a serious step down compared to what we saw later in the gen. The texture quality, material shader quality and the physics simulations were not anything like you saw 2015 onwards. His armour has no life to it at all.

Plus UE4 produced, Days Gone, Gears 5 etc. All much more impressive than the demo for UE4.

The point of these demonstrations isn't to showcase what games will look and play like all generation long... But to showcase the individual rendering techniques and technologies that will define the games thanks to new hardware feature sets that enable them.

Unreal Engine 4.0 was showcasing the new Tessellation capabilities, Asynchronous Compute which gave us some impressive material shader effects, Cloth Physics, Post-Process effects and so much more.

Again... These demo's are NOT representations of what games will look and play like all generation long, that isn't their purpose, it's showcasing new technologies and effects, that is their purpose.
Unreal Engine 5's demonstration is it's all about it's new geometry technology, Nanite and the Ray-Traced lighting effects, Lumin, not what it means for gameplay or future graphics. - Developers will leverage those technologies in different ways, even build upon them to make them even more impressive... And that is truly something to get excited about.

That's my point entirely. That games will surpass what's shown in these tech demos. I was responding to

"If actual shipping games can meet or exceed the quality of the UE5 demo, then the jump from PS4 to PS5 will impress me more than the jump from PS3 to PS4."

and saying that UE5 shipped games will definitely look better than what's shown in the tech demo. And using a past example to back up my claim. 

curl-6 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm being dramatic with awful, but it is a serious step down compared to what we saw later in the gen. The texture quality, material shader quality and the physics simulations were not anything like you saw 2015 onwards. His armour has no life to it at all.

Plus UE4 produced, Days Gone, Gears 5 etc. All much more impressive than the demo for UE4.

Not saying it wasn't surpassed, but it does date to well before this gen started instead of the eve of the 9th gen, so I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison.

That's why I mentioned games made using UE4. Games using UE5 will 100% look better than the tech demo we all saw.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Pemalite said:

The point of these demonstrations isn't to showcase what games will look and play like all generation long... But to showcase the individual rendering techniques and technologies that will define the games thanks to new hardware feature sets that enable them.

Unreal Engine 4.0 was showcasing the new Tessellation capabilities, Asynchronous Compute which gave us some impressive material shader effects, Cloth Physics, Post-Process effects and so much more.

Again... These demo's are NOT representations of what games will look and play like all generation long, that isn't their purpose, it's showcasing new technologies and effects, that is their purpose.
Unreal Engine 5's demonstration is it's all about it's new geometry technology, Nanite and the Ray-Traced lighting effects, Lumin, not what it means for gameplay or future graphics. - Developers will leverage those technologies in different ways, even build upon them to make them even more impressive... And that is truly something to get excited about.

That's my point entirely. That games will surpass what's shown in these tech demos. I was responding to

"If actual shipping games can meet or exceed the quality of the UE5 demo, then the jump from PS4 to PS5 will impress me more than the jump from PS3 to PS4."

and saying that UE5 shipped games will definitely look better than what's shown in the tech demo. And using a past example to back up my claim. 

curl-6 said:

Not saying it wasn't surpassed, but it does date to well before this gen started instead of the eve of the 9th gen, so I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison.

That's why I mentioned games made using UE4. Games using UE5 will 100% look better than the tech demo we all saw.

I'm not saying they won't, just that I'll wait and see. There are other cases of tech demos not being surpassed by actual games. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Honestly, even if they can just match it that'd be good enough for me.

curl-6 said:

If actual shipping games can meet or exceed the quality of the UE5 demo, then the jump from PS4 to PS5 will impress me more than the jump from PS3 to PS4.

I'm happy with how my Switch games look for the moment; when the times comes I would hope it's successor can exceed the PS4 graphically and incorporate some of the advances of PS5/XSX.

The current Switch can straight up run full blown high end PS4/XB1 games. 

It's just a little cramped to do it and there are cartridge storage issues to account for also, but it can do it. 

Switch 2 will be able to do the same for PS5 more easily with DLSS factored in and larger cartridge sizes also I think. 64GB cartridges will likely become reasonably cheap and 128GB may even be an option fairly quickly. 

Not to mention SD Card options ... there are even some 1TB SD Card nowadays can be found for as low as $45 US on Amazon, let alone a couple of years down the road. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 20 May 2020

Not a lot to be honest. I really don't care about good graphics anymore, just good performance. I'm still on PS4 slim and Xbox One S, so that says all. I'm not really very excited about the new consoles until they show games I want to play.

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

It's just a little cramped to do it and there are cartridge storage issues to account for also, but it can do it. 

Switch 2 will be able to do the same for PS5 more easily with DLSS factored in and larger cartridge sizes also I think. 64GB cartridges will likely become reasonably cheap and 128GB may even be an option fairly quickly. 

Not to mention SD Card options ... there are even some 1TB SD Card nowadays can be found for as low as $45 US on Amazon, let alone a couple of years down the road. 

Sounds very much like the typical Chinese offering where devices get tricked into showing eight times the space of what is available in reality. So your example would actually be an 128 GB card advertised as 1 TB and $45 is a rather high price for that; but that's the point of the false advertising, to sell the same amount of storage for a higher price while suggesting that consumers are getting a good deal. What makes matters worse is that those cheap SD cards have also common problems with reliability, so they stop working fast. They are an all around bad option.

I would caution anyone buying an SD card from such casual outlets where it seems to good to be true.

Personally if it's not a "high endurance" SD card, it's nothing for me, data retention is super important.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

If actual shipping games can meet or exceed the quality of the UE5 demo, then the jump from PS4 to PS5 will impress me more than the jump from PS3 to PS4.

I'm happy with how my Switch games look for the moment; when the times comes I would hope it's successor can exceed the PS4 graphically and incorporate some of the advances of PS5/XSX.

If Switch 2 can exceed PS4/Xbone to the extent that Switch 1 exceeds PS3/360, and be roughly the same distance from PS5/XSX as Switch 1 is from PS4/Xbone, I'll be happy.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

If Switch 2 can exceed PS4/Xbone to the extent that Switch 1 exceeds PS3/360, and be roughly the same distance from PS5/XSX as Switch 1 is from PS4/Xbone, I'll be happy.

I think with the technology we -currently- have available, we might see around Xbox One levels of performance with the Switch 2, if Nintendo adopts nVidia's latest SoC which is a big ask.

We already have LPDDR5 which can increase bandwidth by 50% over LPDDR4X (Switch uses older/slower LPDDR4), so 50GB/s of bandwidth should be possible for a Switch 2... Which is roughly what you want to start touching full 1080P.
LPDDR5X might be a thing by then too... Who knows.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

I think with the technology we -currently- have available, we might see around Xbox One levels of performance with the Switch 2, if Nintendo adopts nVidia's latest SoC which is a big ask.

We already have LPDDR5 which can increase bandwidth by 50% over LPDDR4X (Switch uses older/slower LPDDR4), so 50GB/s of bandwidth should be possible for a Switch 2... Which is roughly what you want to start touching full 1080P.

So if that's whats currently available, any idea about what could be available for a release in 2023?

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

So if that's whats currently available, any idea about what could be available for a release in 2023?

Unless Nintendo does a 180 and decides to make Switch 2 with the latest and greatest, whatever is avaiable this year or 2021 at best is probably what's going inside of it - even Tegra X1 would be too costly for them if nVidia haven't flopped so hard at selling it (I don't think there's actually any devices outside their own that use it), thus eventually making it affordable for Nintendo.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Unless Nintendo does a 180 and decides to make Switch 2 with the latest and greatest, whatever is avaiable this year or 2021 at best is probably what's going inside of it - even Tegra X1 would be too costly for them if nVidia haven't flopped so hard at selling it (I don't think there's actually any devices outside their own that use it), thus eventually making it affordable for Nintendo.

Tegra X1 was available in May 2015 for $199.99 in the Shield console, and those are definitely sold at a profit because Nvidia doesn't make money off software really. 

So no, I don't really buy that aspect. Switch was a portable console so it had to have the power to run Nintendo's home console games and that would have always required a high end chip.