By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results May 7th 2020 - Switch: 55.77m, (21m for the FY) Animal Crossing: 11.77m

Once again showing how Nintendo's 1st party is second to none. Super Mario Party baffles me still. 10 million, the best selling game in the franchise...with the least amount of content. Pokemon SS will definitely surpass DPP, and seeing that the DS had a install base of over 154 Million vs Switch's 55 Million, this makes that figure even more astonishing.

And finally Zelda beating out a 3D Mario...this is to my knowledge unprecedented. Nintendo's in the best shape they've been in a good while. Can't wait to see what's next.

Around the Network

Man, the Switch is doing great!

Wow. Big quarter.
AC nearly 12 million in 12 days, just crazy.

Here's the lifetime and quarterly numbers:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:  24.77m (1.81)
Smash Bros Ultimate: 18.84m (1.16)
BOTW: 17.41m (1.07)
Mario Odyssey: 17.41m (0.82)
Pokemon S/S: 17.37m (1.31)
Pokemon Let's Go:  11.97m (0.21)
Animal Crossing: 11.77m
Splatoon 2: 10.13m (0.32)
Mario Party: 10.10m (0.98)
NSMBUD: 6.60m (0.75)
Luigi’s Mansion 3: 6.33m (0.96)
Super Mario Maker 2: 5.48m (0.40)
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening: 4.38m (0.19)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses: 2.87m (0.29)
Ring Fit Adventure: 2.73m (0.56)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: 1.26m
Astral Chain: 1.08m (0.05)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.08m (0.06)

Thoughts:
- Seems obvious MK8D is gonna challenge MKWii now for top Mario Kart game.

- Smash still going strong, it's gonna try to keep ahead of the rising juggernaut Animal Crossing.

- Surprised by how low Sword/Shield sold. I thought it'd be about a million higher at this point and it didn't even pass Mario and Zelda yet, though it did outsell them for the quarter so will def pass Mario in the current quarter and possibly Zelda. But has me wondering if Zelda might actually beat out Pokemon in the end?! Forget that AC v Pokemon thread, I think we need a new Zelda vs Pokemon thread!

- Zelda tied with Mario and clearly going to pass it next quarter! WTF?! Truly astounding. Just goes to show that Zelda is still the "killer app" for the Switch as more than all the other record breaking entries in major franchises (MK eventually, Smash, 3D Mario, AC, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion) Zelda has blown previous records out of the water by the most insane amount. Not only does Zelda beat Mario this gen, but as said above, it looks like it will actually beat out Pokemon!....mind blown.

- Splatoon and Mario Party added to the 10 million list and my god those Mario Party quarterly numbers! 15 million is guaranteed for Mario Party at this point. I would say now it has a distant shot at 20 million except I'm sure we'll see a new Mario Party probably next year that should cut these sales off.

- Of the three games I thought there was a decent chance of hitting 10 million, its obviously Luigi's Mansion is on the way with huge quarterly numbers, I am now 100% confident NSMBU:D will make it there as I can't believe it did 0.75m this quarter(!), but sadly unless the recent Mario Maker update brings in a lot of sales it looks like Mario Maker 2 doesn't have the legs to make 10 million - fairly surprising as Mario Maker seems like a game that should have mega sales. If Mario Maker 2 doesn't hit 10 million it'll be the most undersold game on the system for how good it is and considering it is a Mario game.

- Ring Fit looking strong to have nice legs, Link's Awakening will eventually be a 5 million seller, and Astral Chain sales are dead though for what it is I think it did quite well hitting a million. Also surprised Let's Go got a nice boost, guess that game isn't completely dead after all.

Lifetime sales predictions:
MK8D > MKWii
Smash just under 30 million
AC > 27 million and might compete with Smash for 2nd best selling game
Zelda > Pokemon > Mario all in the 23-27 million range
Mario Party 17m, Splatoon 13m, Luigi's Mansion 13m, NSMBU:D 12m, Mario Maker 9m

I wonder how nsmbud influenced Mario maker 2 sales. Before mm2 launch, those eagers for a 2d Mario got already nsmbud. Then, in this holiday, they had the option to get nsmbud also, and some preferred it instead of mm2.
Maybe launching time of these games didn't help each other. Maybe one of them should have been let to 2020.

Ljink96 said:
Once again showing how Nintendo's 1st party is second to none. Super Mario Party baffles me still. 10 million, the best selling game in the franchise...with the least amount of content. Pokemon SS will definitely surpass DPP, and seeing that the DS had a install base of over 154 Million vs Switch's 55 Million, this makes that figure even more astonishing.

And finally Zelda beating out a 3D Mario...this is to my knowledge unprecedented. Nintendo's in the best shape they've been in a good while. Can't wait to see what's next.

I think the Coronavirus is helping it a bit right now. Nothing like a partygame when you can't go anywhere with your kids.

Another thing you need to consider is that 1 through 7 and 10 released on consoles which sold much less than the Switch already does, and partygames on a handheld are rather awkward to play together, even with the huge success of the DS. That just leaves the two Wii titles are real competition to the Switch version - and those came out at unfortunate times (8 came out so fast after the other ones that a severe franchise fatigue set in, 9 came out at the end of the Wii's lifespan when it's sales were dropping like a rock) that it's actually just normal that the Switch version wins out. I guess unlike the Wii titles, it just came out at the right time.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I think the Coronavirus is helping it a bit right now. Nothing like a partygame when you can't go anywhere with your kids.

Another thing you need to consider is that 1 through 7 and 10 released on consoles which sold much less than the Switch already does, and partygames on a handheld are rather awkward to play together, even with the huge success of the DS. That just leaves the two Wii titles are real competition to the Switch version - and those came out at unfortunate times (8 came out so fast after the other ones that a severe franchise fatigue set in, 9 came out at the end of the Wii's lifespan when it's sales were dropping like a rock) that it's actually just normal that the Switch version wins out. I guess unlike the Wii titles, it just came out at the right time.

Also, I think "least amount of content" is plain wrong and solely based on the number of boards in the game. Of the Mario Party games I played, usually half or more of the boards were so unappealing that they weren't played more than two times. That's why it doesn't mean much when SMP has fewer boards to begin with, because what people care the most about are minigames and SMP has 84 of them which is more than most other MP games had.

Welp, at least the word think is used. We're all entitled to our opinions. The reason you play Mario Party isn't the reason everyone plays it. If you feel other games had "unappealing boards" that's fine, but everyone doesn't think that. The variety and complexity of boards has always been what entices me to Mario Party. And compared to say the Gamecube games, the boards are very flat, So not only is it lacking in game modes and boards, but the boards that are there are mostly flat and uninspired. Minigames should supplement the boards. All I know is I've played past Mario Parties way more than I did Super, simply because of the variety of game modes like 5 had, simply isn't there. 

When these 4 games came out, I was hoping for better sales. The sales are great, but not top tier by Nintendo standards. I hope they sold enough to get sequels, and more Zelda remakes. I know Fire Emblem is a somewhat niche game, but easily my favorite game on the Switch.

Luigi’s Mansion 3: 6.33m (0.96)
Super Mario Maker 2: 5.48m (0.40)
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening: 4.38m (0.19)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses: 2.87m (0.29)

Mar1217 said:
The clock is ticking until Zelda BOTW gets to the 20M milestone. As the prophecy said, it has now surpassed Mario Odyssey (probably for good too) !

Of course, an amazing quarter for Switch shipment numbers which is probably earily close to the sell-to-consumer numbers due to recent worldwide shortages.

And what about AC NH performance .... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !! It's just too strong. Though, they only shipped 2,1M more copies in the last 4 weeks after the initial 12,3M in the first 12 days. I'll be interested to look at this game legs out of a pandemic situation.

It could hit 20m total by the end of this quarter it only needs 1m.

RolStoppable said:
Ljink96 said:

Welp, at least the word think is used. We're all entitled to our opinions. The reason you play Mario Party isn't the reason everyone plays it. If you feel other games had "unappealing boards" that's fine, but everyone doesn't think that. The variety and complexity of boards has always been what entices me to Mario Party. And compared to say the Gamecube games, the boards are very flat, So not only is it lacking in game modes and boards, but the boards that are there are mostly flat and uninspired. Minigames should supplement the boards. All I know is I've played past Mario Parties way more than I did Super, simply because of the variety of game modes like 5 had, simply isn't there. 

*checks database on Ljink96*

I see, you are the person who is convinced that Super Mario 3D Land was a much more enticing game and had more replay value than Super Mario 3D World.

Hm... wouldn't the logic that not everybody plays a game for the same reason apply to you as well? Maybe you are the minority when it comes to Mario Party.

Okay...you're kinda strange. lol

Yes, I do think 3D Land is better than 3D World. It's a better designed platformer seeing as it was designed for 1 player rather than 4. There's a reason why 4 player 3D Platformers aren't often attemped and 3D World shows it. The flow of the levels is just nowhere near as tight as 3D Land's because of the emphasis on so much space. If we want to bring sales into it we could go there as well, but that won't end too well for you in terms of being in the minority. And conversely it doesn't end to well sales wise for me for Super Mario Party vs. say, like 5-8. 

And yes, everyone does play games for different reasons. I never implied that it doesn't... if you disagree like I said, that's fine... I just don't use words like "plain wrong" when having a discussion. But like I said, think is a great word. As long as you can explain why you disagree that's great, using absolute language doesn't invite discussion. 

curl-6 said:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Switch hardware: 55.77m

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 24.77m

Smash Bros Ultimate: 18.84m

BOTW: 17.41m

Mario Odyssey: 17.41m

Pokemon S/S: 17.37m

Pokemon Let's Go: 11.97m

Animal Crossing: 11.77m

Splatoon 2: 10.13m

Mario Party: 10.1m

NSMBUD: 6.6m

Luigi’s Mansion 3: 6.33 million

Super Mario Maker 2: 5.48 million

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening: 4.38 million

Fire Emblem: Three Houses: 2.87 million

Ring Fit Adventure: 2.73 million

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: 1.26 million

Astral Chain: 1.08 million

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.08 million

For the quarter: 3.29 Switches shipped

FY cumulative: 21.03m

What I care about is how much Nintendo is making a profit, but it's interesting that no one cares.
The company can't keep making games without profit.