By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results May 7th 2020 - Switch: 55.77m, (21m for the FY) Animal Crossing: 11.77m

Otter said:
But seriously software wise I wouldn't immediately think "delays", I would instead think that whatever they have planned simply isn't going to be as big as lasts years line up (Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, Mario Maker 2)

You have Nintendo mega titles (like the ones populating that list), and then you have their B/C list. They can't constantly push out the A list, although they can try and create more of them but its not realistic.

It’s hard to say but in a world without the virus I find it hard to believe that there would be only 140 million software sales as your user base increased by that much

Around the Network

They apparently said 9 third party games sold over a million copies in the last fiscal year without naming them ... I would guess

Minecraft
Witcher 3 (?)
Mortal Kombat 11
Just Dance
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Crash Racing (?)
Overwatch (?)

FIFA (?)

Marth said:
I find it interesting that Nintendo has put more money into R&D this year than ever before.
Would love to see what things they are working on.

R&D spending has increased every year since 2016 and this year was quite a jump upwards.

If Switch 2 is coming in 2023, then they would likely have to start investing into hardware and software development now, so that makes sense. Games take 2 1/2-3 years to make and bulk of hardware design has to be starting about now. 

Soundwave said:

They apparently said 9 third party games sold over a million copies in the last fiscal year without naming them ... I would guess

Minecraft
Witcher 3 (?)
Mortal Kombat 11
Just Dance
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Crash Racing (?)
Overwatch (?)

FIFA (?)

Does DQ11 count since it was published by Nintendo in the west? It might’ve reached a million WW

Soundwave said:

Minecraft
Witcher 3 (?)
Mortal Kombat 11
Just Dance
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Crash Racing (?)
Overwatch (?)

FIFA (?)

Yeah since the Witcher 3 was already at 700 000 back in the end of december 2019 according to CDPR, it could have potentially sold over a million so far

Around the Network

Yeah it doesn't sound like BOTW2 will make it this year judging by their software guidance. Working at home has probably put it behind.

If Bayonetta 3 is ready by holiday it would clean up but we haven't seen anything on it yet.

yay Super Mario Party and Splatoon 2 finally reached 10mil!!!
FE3H almost at 3mil!
And Animal Crossing just wiped the floor!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Looking at the full list of titles, I think we're guaranteed at least six (6) 20 million sellers. We've already got one of 'em, and we may get another in the next quarter update. 

Mario Kart is a lock for 30 million, it may even do it by the end of December. Not only do I think it can pass Mario Kart Wii's totals, but even the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES (40.24), and become the greatest selling Mario game, period. 

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Awesome sales!!

But looking at the barren upcoming schedule is disappointing :(

Well that is the result of a global pandemic. Maybe if it happened again the world will be more prepared but no one knows. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

The switch could use a game made by CliffyB, unreal perhaps?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.