By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results May 7th 2020 - Switch: 55.77m, (21m for the FY) Animal Crossing: 11.77m

Those software sales are really something else, Nintendo is benefitting from their audience aging up and having more money to spend. Even Animal Crossing's demo according to what they're saying was primarily in the 20-30 age range.

Around the Network
MasonADC said:
The forecasted software sales only being 140 million is a bad sign. Big games meant for this fiscal year will definitely be delayed

Well theres a deadly virus going round m8. Kinda have to be realistic with these things.

other 20m+ shipment years:

NDS FY08-09: 31.18m
NDS FY07--08: 30.31m
NDS FY09-10: 27.11m
Wii FY08-09: 25.94m
NDS FY06-07: 23.56m
PS2 FY02-03: 22.52m
NSW FY19-20: 21.03m
Wii FY09-10: 20.54m
PS2 FY03-04: 20.10m
PS4 FY16-17: 20.00m

OTBWY said:
MasonADC said:
The forecasted software sales only being 140 million is a bad sign. Big games meant for this fiscal year will definitely be delayed

Well theres a deadly virus going round m8. Kinda have to be realistic with these things.

That was...the point of my message? 

Otter said:
But seriously software wise I wouldn't immediately think "delays", I would instead think that whatever they have planned simply isn't going to be as big as lasts years line up (Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, Mario Maker 2)

You have Nintendo mega titles (like the ones populating that list), and then you have their B/C list. They can't constantly push out the A list, although they can try and create more of them but its not realistic.

It’s hard to say but in a world without the virus I find it hard to believe that there would be only 140 million software sales as your user base increased by that much

Around the Network

They apparently said 9 third party games sold over a million copies in the last fiscal year without naming them ... I would guess

Minecraft
Witcher 3 (?)
Mortal Kombat 11
Just Dance
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Crash Racing (?)
Overwatch (?)

FIFA (?)

I find it interesting that Nintendo has put more money into R&D this year than ever before.
Would love to see what things they are working on.

R&D spending has increased every year since 2016 and this year was quite a jump upwards.

Soundwave said:

They apparently said 9 third party games sold over a million copies in the last fiscal year without naming them ... I would guess

Minecraft
Witcher 3 (?)
Mortal Kombat 11
Just Dance
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Diablo
Crash Racing (?)
Overwatch (?)

FIFA (?)

Goose game?

Last edited by Marth - on 07 May 2020

Marth said:
I find it interesting that Nintendo has put more money into R&D this year than ever before.
Would love to see what things they are working on.

R&D spending has increased every year since 2016 and this year was quite a jump upwards.

If Switch 2 is coming in 2023, then they would likely have to start investing into hardware and software development now, so that makes sense. Games take 2 1/2-3 years to make and bulk of hardware design has to be starting about now. 

Soundwave said:

Minecraft
Witcher 3 (?)
Mortal Kombat 11
Just Dance
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Crash Racing (?)
Overwatch (?)

FIFA (?)

Does DQ11 count since it was published by Nintendo in the west? It might’ve reached a million WW