By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast vs Original Xbox

I prefer...

Dreamcast 45 51.14%

Original Xbox 43 48.86%

Total:88
Hynad said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Xbox. It was the console I finished the gen on. After getting pissed off at the low reliability of PS2s (seriously, I think I went through like 7 of them. Those things broke far too easily!) I went solely Xbox at the end of the gen. Really enjoyed it too, despite not owning a single Halo game for it.

I got only one PS2, and it never failed on me. How do you handle your consoles?

@OP: I got an X-Box when Shenmue 2 came out, and I got to try Halo that came with, and I got into Fable. But it eventually started to amass dust. 
The Dreamcast on the other hand, I played the heck out of it. I was still into arcade games quite a bit back then, and arcade game ports on that console were near flawless, when they weren't improved. Then there was Sega's unmatched content output, all great and unique titles. And to top it all off, Shenmue, a game far ahead of its time, regardless if you enjoyed it or not.

Really, the Dreamcast remained the console I spent the most money on prior to the advent of digital editions. Which, considering the very short life of the console, is saying a lot.

I always find odd how many systems and controls some people burn in a gen.

My PS1 and PS2 were modded to play bootlegged games (that is all we had in Brazil at the time) and I probably played over 4h a day for 5 year each of them before they were really stopping to work right.

My PS3 still works (now it is giving fatal errors in several games and just shutting down, will send for repair). PS4 the issue I had was on the disc reader (after reading some bootlegged movies for my son) on the Pro and eject button on regular (this seems a common issue on it).

But controls I never had a broken one, at most after 3 years I had to open and clean for PS3 and nothing for PS4 so far.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I owned and STILL own both consoles. In pristine condition I might add. Anyway, I'm a bit bias here. I absolutely adored my Dreamcast back then. Over my PS2, Xbox, etc. I still have 22 games for it. Pretty much all of the fighters and beat'em ups, Sonic 2, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, etc.

My OG Xbox is loved more than the PS2 as well. I thought it was technology the best thing out then. Maybe because it was. I have all the games for that system as well. All of the popular titles. I very much disliked the controller though.

Anyway, I'm picking Dreamcast solely for those incredible games that released. I agree with some saying that we will probably never see an influx of titles the way Dreamcast did it. Capcom seemed to have heavily invested in Dreamcast. I have damn near all of their titles on it. Moving on, my family & friends and I gamed on it constantly. Loved the VMU and such. It was ahead of it's time back then. Xbox was nothing to scoff at either. I was just more impressed with the Dreamcast because nothing was like it in the market at that time.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Pemalite said:

Not really disproving anything with this though.

The Playstation 5 controller design is very similar to the Xbox controllers ergonomics, does that mean the Playstation 5 is an Xbox One successor rather than a Playstation 4? No. No it isn't.

I would definitely agree with the other guy regarding the Xbox controller. It's heavily inspired by both the Dreamcast and Saturn 3D pads. Xbox had no real need for controller expansion ports on their console as the 8GB of hard disk space was enough for save data, yet they decided to include two controller ports anyway. Why? Not to mention the ABXY arrangement is exactly the same way Sega arranged theirs on the Dreamcast. They used six facebuttons instead of the four that Gamecube and PS2 used. Even the disk like structure in the middle is similar to both the Dreamcast and the Saturn 3D pad. It features analog triggers virtually identical to the Dreamcast and 3D Pad. It even features a breakaway controller plug in JUST like the Xbox controller does. Microsoft was clearly inspired by Sega's controllers.

Rafie said:
I owned and STILL own both consoles. In pristine condition I might add. Anyway, I'm a bit bias here. I absolutely adored my Dreamcast back then. Over my PS2, Xbox, etc. I still have 22 games for it. Pretty much all of the fighters and beat'em ups, Sonic 2, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, etc.

My OG Xbox is loved more than the PS2 as well. I thought it was technology the best thing out then. Maybe because it was. I have all the games for that system as well. All of the popular titles. I very much disliked the controller though.

Anyway, I'm picking Dreamcast solely for those incredible games that released. I agree with some saying that we will probably never see an influx of titles the way Dreamcast did it. Capcom seemed to have heavily invested in Dreamcast. I have damn near all of their titles on it. Moving on, my family & friends and I gamed on it constantly. Loved the VMU and such. It was ahead of it's time back then. Xbox was nothing to scoff at either. I was just more impressed with the Dreamcast because nothing was like it in the market at that time.

That is because even if one hardware is better or have more features what you are going to remember is what you played on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I'm gonna say i prefer Dreamcast because i loved their first party games and VMU before going to mulitplatform due to failure of sales met.

I would prefer Original Xbox, but this console was like... the best alternative low budget PC ever you can easily own a gaming hardware to play PC port games, like.. I used to play Serious Sam, KOTOR, Morrowind, Max Payne, Halo 1 and Battlefront on the PC before getting Original Xbox lol. At least Ninja Gaiden, DOA3, Conker Remake, Halo 2, Unreal Championchip 2 & Otagi were released exclusivity, although Original Xbox wasn't that as good as GameCube and Dreamcast in first party titles lineup term, ehh it's such a shame but still... enjoyed Halo 2 couch splitscreen deathmatch with my friends, so yeah that's that. xD

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

Not really disproving anything with this though.

The Playstation 5 controller design is very similar to the Xbox controllers ergonomics, does that mean the Playstation 5 is an Xbox One successor rather than a Playstation 4? No. No it isn't.

I would definitely agree with the other guy regarding the Xbox controller. It's heavily inspired by both the Dreamcast and Saturn 3D pads. Xbox had no real need for controller expansion ports on their console as the 8GB of hard disk space was enough for save data, yet they decided to include two controller ports anyway. Why? Not to mention the ABXY arrangement is exactly the same way Sega arranged theirs on the Dreamcast. They used six facebuttons instead of the four that Gamecube and PS2 used. Even the disk like structure in the middle is similar to both the Dreamcast and the Saturn 3D pad. It features analog triggers virtually identical to the Dreamcast and 3D Pad. It even features a breakaway controller plug in JUST like the Xbox controller does. Microsoft was clearly inspired by Sega's controllers.

Already demonstrated how faulty it is using controllers to assert that a console is a "spiritual successor" to another console.

I.E. Playstation 5 uses ergonomics clearly inspired by the Xbox One, doesn't mean the Playstation 5 is the spiritual successor to the Xbox One.

Or the Switch Pro controller is also inspired by the Xbox controller, doesn't mean the Switch is a spiritual successor to the Xbox.

Every company takes design cues from another... A good idea is simply a good idea... Again, Sega wasn't the first company to have ports on the controller for expandability, the Nintendo 64 did it a whole generation earlier.

As for the ABXY arrangement, there is only so many ways you can take that approach... And is an argument that is questionable at best.

Six-face buttons has existed for a long time... Again. The Nintendo 64 did it with it's 4-C button layout plus A+B buttons, doesn't mean the Dreamcast was the spiritual successor to the Nintendo 64.
The Xbox used the secondary white/black buttons mostly as start/select for the most part.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Doctor_MG said:

Already demonstrated how faulty it is using controllers to assert that a console is a "spiritual successor" to another console.

I.E. Playstation 5 uses ergonomics clearly inspired by the Xbox One, doesn't mean the Playstation 5 is the spiritual successor to the Xbox One.

Or the Switch Pro controller is also inspired by the Xbox controller, doesn't mean the Switch is a spiritual successor to the Xbox.

Every company takes design cues from another... A good idea is simply a good idea... Again, Sega wasn't the first company to have ports on the controller for expandability, the Nintendo 64 did it a whole generation earlier.

As for the ABXY arrangement, there is only so many ways you can take that approach... And is an argument that is questionable at best.

Six-face buttons has existed for a long time... Again. The Nintendo 64 did it with it's 4-C button layout plus A+B buttons, doesn't mean the Dreamcast was the spiritual successor to the Nintendo 64.
The Xbox used the secondary white/black buttons mostly as start/select for the most part.

6 buttons was already present on the Genesis/MegaDrive, I think the model after street fighter II and the turbo controller. Perhaps even console prior to it had some 6 button controller as well.

Whoa, neck and neck in the poll! Considering Xbox sold more than three times as much and had a lifespan twice as long, damn close fight.

LudicrousSpeed said:
curl-6 said:

I actually feel like DC and Xbox have a very different vibe; DC was like an arcade machine squeezed into a console box while Xbox was a PC squeezed into a console box, and late 90s arcade gaming and 2000s PC gaming were quite different in feel and philosophy. Maybe that's just me.

Not really. DC had that same PC vibe with online browser support, keyboard support, and more importantly games like Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament which both ran fantastic on DC and had amazing online play for 56k machines. In the case of Quake 3 you could even play with PC users and let them slaughter you with their broadband connections.

There were other PC ports that ran well, like Rainbow Six, etc. Plus titles like Phantasy Star Online felt like something you'd only previously been able to play on a PC. The issue was the DC just didn't last long enough. The Xbox didn't differ from the DC in terms of feeling like a PC squeezed into a console box, it just continued where the DC left off. IIRC the DC was discontinued before the Xbox even launched.

Simply gonna have to disagree with you there. For me, Dreamcast's abundance of arcade ports (something Sega had long focused on) always gave me the vibe of a late 90s arcade machine compressed into a console shell, while the Xbox with its many high end PC ports and games like Halo always felt more PC-esque.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 May 2020

curl-6 said:

Whoa, neck and neck in the poll! Considering Xbox sold more than three times as much and had a lifespan more than twice as long, damn close fight.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Not really. DC had that same PC vibe with online browser support, keyboard support, and more importantly games like Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament which both ran fantastic on DC and had amazing online play for 56k machines. In the case of Quake 3 you could even play with PC users and let them slaughter you with their broadband connections.

There were other PC ports that ran well, like Rainbow Six, etc. Plus titles like Phantasy Star Online felt like something you'd only previously been able to play on a PC. The issue was the DC just didn't last long enough. The Xbox didn't differ from the DC in terms of feeling like a PC squeezed into a console box, it just continued where the DC left off. IIRC the DC was discontinued before the Xbox even launched.

Simply gonna have to disagree with you there. For me, Dreamcast's abundance of arcade ports (something Sega had long focused on) always gave me the vibe of a late 90s arcade machine compressed into a console shell, while the Xbox with its many high end PC ports and games like Halo always felt more PC-esque.

Not to forget that one of the keys of arcade was competitive multiplayer.

Hynad said:
d21lewis said:

I mentioned going through three PS2s on Facebook (and two PS1s) and people actually blamed me. Some people are lucky I guess or didn't use their consoles as much as I did. I think I had over 100 PS1 games and close to 200 PS2 games. The consoles just weren't well made. That's one of the reasons I switched to Xbox 360 before getting a PS3 several months later. I didn't want to spend $600 on a console from a company that had a history of defective consoles.

That didn't go well. One year later, my Xbox got the RRoD!

Seven seems like a bit much but I take excellent care of my hardware and it still broke. My nephew was one of the few that got a launch PS2 but the fan didn't work right out of the box. We would get one round of Tekken Tag in before it overheated! He wound up sending it back in for repairs.

Maybe later models were more reliable.

Maybe I've always been lucky. The only console that died on me was my Xbox 360. RRODed twice on me. The first time, I was "ok, they said it was a manufacturing defect, so I'll send it for repair and endure". The second time it RRODed, I said screw that, bought a PS3 and never looked back. Sucked, considering I went into that gen with a 360 first, because of games like Lost Odyssey and Fable 2, two of my all time favorite games. When the XBox One announced that they were going to push backward compatibility, I considered getting one, but so few of its exclusive games interested me, so I kept pushing that purchase away. The Series X will finally be the console that make me jump back into the XBox side of gaming. Hopefully, it'll be a good gen for their first party output.

I went through two PS1s (laser failed in the first one), two PS2s (again, laser failed), a PS3 (YLOD), and my PS4 is having a hard time booting up. My original PS1 and PS2 lasted two years, were in well-ventilated areas. I did use them a lot. PS3 was also in a well-ventilated area but it did last a few years as it was a launch 60GB PS3. PS4 is a launch year model.

My 360 failed after 1 year from the E74 error, which was the 360's second major design defect, and mine failed about six months before Microsoft finally acknowledged the E74 was a problem and started fixing them for free. They wanted to charge me $150 for repairs. 

The only console maker whose consoles I have never had fail on me were Nintendo's consoles. Other than the NES's issues with its cartridge slot, which would still work if you adjusted the cartridge, I've never had a Nintendo console fail on me, not even the optical disc-based ones. And of course the drift on the Joycons, LOL, but those have outlasted some other controllers I've had.