By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast vs Original Xbox

I prefer...

Dreamcast 45 51.14%

Original Xbox 43 48.86%

Total:88
d21lewis said:
Hynad said:

I got only one PS2, and it never failed on me. How do you handle your consoles?

@OP: I got an X-Box when Shenmue 2 came out, and I got to try Halo that came with, and I got into Fable. But it eventually started to amass dust. 
The Dreamcast on the other hand, I played the heck out of it. I was still into arcade games quite a bit back then, and arcade game ports on that console were near flawless, when they weren't improved. Then there was Sega's unmatched content output, all great and unique titles. And to top it all off, Shenmue, a game far ahead of its time, regardless if you enjoyed it or not.

Really, the Dreamcast remained the console I spent the most money on prior to the advent of digital editions. Which, considering the very short life of the console, is saying a lot.

I mentioned going through three PS2s on Facebook (and two PS1s) and people actually blamed me. Some people are lucky I guess or didn't use their consoles as much as I did. I think I had over 100 PS1 games and close to 200 PS2 games. The consoles just weren't well made. That's one of the reasons I switched to Xbox 360 before getting a PS3 several months later. I didn't want to spend $600 on a console from a company that had a history of defective consoles.

That didn't go well. One year later, my Xbox got the RRoD!

Seven seems like a bit much but I take excellent care of my hardware and it still broke. My nephew was one of the few that got a launch PS2 but the fan didn't work right out of the box. We would get one round of Tekken Tag in before it overheated! He wound up sending it back in for repairs.

Maybe later models were more reliable.

I heavily used my phat PS1 and phat PS2 and they never broke. I barely used my PS3 and 360, and the PS3 broke once after 5 years while 2 of my 360s broke within one year. Who knows, usage might be a good thing!

All other consoles never had problems, even 10 year old PCs work, but not well.

Around the Network

Well, my original Xbox mum and dad bought me in high school still works flawlessly, over 15 years later, after extensive use.

Can't vouch for Dreamcast's durability to the same extent, not having owned one for as long nor used it as much, (though no idea how much its previous owner used it before me) but I recall DC having no reputation for hardware failure like the PS2 did. Sega, like Nintendo, have a good track record when it comes to sturdy, reliable machines.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 May 2020

HollyGamer said:

Again MVG are expert on emulation, jailbreak, console security , console modding , hardware modding, software modding and not just Youtuber

You are watching an expert videos which far more reliable than unknown forum

I don't doubt that Modern Vintage Gamer has credentials, always amazes me how people put so much faith on Youtube videos as a be-all, end-all source of information.

But he hasn't provided the appropriate citations in his video, thus his claims can be discarded.

Not only that, but many of his claims are just framed as opinion.

HollyGamer said:

He already said it's 75 title https://segaretro.org/Windows_CE

Wouldn't matter if it was 150.

There are 620~ titles on Dreamcast, it's a small fraction of the available titles... And that is my entire point, that Windows CE was the exception and NOT the norm.

HollyGamer said:

Yup even PS2 has memory card, but it's obvious from Xbox original design were indeed took inspiration alot from Dreamcast. It's different from 64 design as well so it's definitely inspired from Dreamcast. The controller is just another thing, Xbox Live Arcade, etc. 

Elaborate how they are the same/different. The concepts are all the same... Memory card that connects to a controller which in turn is cabled directly into the console.

HollyGamer said:

Also Windows Central are Microsoft news outlet , that's just prove a lot of Xbox fans were originally a Dreamcast fans. 

From market point of view and business point of view it's obvious Xbox is Microsoft console targeting for Sega die hard fans. 

https://kotaku.com/the-xbox-was-as-close-as-we-got-to-a-dreamcast-2-5859934

https://www.inquisitr.com/3254632/original-xbox-controller-prototype-drawings-show-inspiration-from-sega-dreamcast/

https://www.radiosega.net/news/features/2012/03/how-sega-influenced-the-original-xbox/

https://segaretro.org/Xbox

etc etc 

Not really disproving anything with this though.

The Playstation 5 controller design is very similar to the Xbox controllers ergonomics, does that mean the Playstation 5 is an Xbox One successor rather than a Playstation 4? No. No it isn't.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SEGA retro is not very reliable. They often get facts wildly wrong about specs and game info.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Never cared for the original Xbox, or just about anything about it other than the fact that it had Halo and Morrowind (both of which I was able to play on PC anyway). Really didn't get into the Xbox line of consoles until the 360.

Dreamcast on the other hand had a ton of great stuff for me - Crazy Taxi, Grandia II, Power Stone 2, Sonic, NBA 2k2, 18 Wheeler, Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5, Virtua Tennis, House of the Dead 2, the list goes on.. Had a nice blend of teen games, adult games, more colorful kid-friendly stuff, party titles, arcade-style software (which I gravitate towards), along with deeper, epic experiences like Skies of Arcadia, etc..

The VMU thing was a neat idea, and I also got the console when it was super cheap which certainly helps.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

I told the story here several about the time I was dating a lady who had a son that would play my PS2 with me. Christmas 2001, he got an Xbox and he was sooo proud. I took it upon myself to bad mouth that system and everything about it. I don't think I even meant it but I couldn't stop myself.

Next time I saw him, he traded the system and Halo in for a GBA, Legacy of Goku, Castlevania, and Golden Sun--all great games but not the type of games he enjoyed. Before long, the GBA was gathering dust.

I felt so bad that I've since bought him an Xbox 360 AND an Xbox One with a few games. And he's like 30 years old now! I told him why a couple years ago but he just laughed and said "I don't even remember that!"

Just an anecdote. To be honest, I always looked at the original Xbox library and noticeably better version of multiplats (based on magazine reviews) with a little jealousy.

Playstation 2... or Dreamcast

Many Dreamcast games made their way to Xbox and no Dreamcast game made the same splash as Halo 1 and 2, especially the online multiplayer component. Plus going by years on the market the Xbox has a significantly larger library.

That said Dreamcast had some gems like Skies of Arcadia and Powerstone that were really hard to put down.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Again MVG are expert on emulation, jailbreak, console security , console modding , hardware modding, software modding and not just Youtuber

You are watching an expert videos which far more reliable than unknown forum

I don't doubt that Modern Vintage Gamer has credentials, always amazes me how people put so much faith on Youtube videos as a be-all, end-all source of information.

But he hasn't provided the appropriate citations in his video, thus his claims can be discarded.

Not only that, but many of his claims are just framed as opinion.

HollyGamer said:

He already said it's 75 title https://segaretro.org/Windows_CE

Wouldn't matter if it was 150.

There are 620~ titles on Dreamcast, it's a small fraction of the available titles... And that is my entire point, that Windows CE was the exception and NOT the norm.

HollyGamer said:

Yup even PS2 has memory card, but it's obvious from Xbox original design were indeed took inspiration alot from Dreamcast. It's different from 64 design as well so it's definitely inspired from Dreamcast. The controller is just another thing, Xbox Live Arcade, etc. 

Elaborate how they are the same/different. The concepts are all the same... Memory card that connects to a controller which in turn is cabled directly into the console.

HollyGamer said:

Also Windows Central are Microsoft news outlet , that's just prove a lot of Xbox fans were originally a Dreamcast fans. 

From market point of view and business point of view it's obvious Xbox is Microsoft console targeting for Sega die hard fans. 

https://kotaku.com/the-xbox-was-as-close-as-we-got-to-a-dreamcast-2-5859934

https://www.inquisitr.com/3254632/original-xbox-controller-prototype-drawings-show-inspiration-from-sega-dreamcast/

https://www.radiosega.net/news/features/2012/03/how-sega-influenced-the-original-xbox/

https://segaretro.org/Xbox

etc etc 

Not really disproving anything with this though.

The Playstation 5 controller design is very similar to the Xbox controllers ergonomics, does that mean the Playstation 5 is an Xbox One successor rather than a Playstation 4? No. No it isn't.

I just help MVG on giving the source, i bet you forgot to read the link i have provided. everything has already provided there. 

curl-6 said:

I actually feel like DC and Xbox have a very different vibe; DC was like an arcade machine squeezed into a console box while Xbox was a PC squeezed into a console box, and late 90s arcade gaming and 2000s PC gaming were quite different in feel and philosophy. Maybe that's just me.

Not really. DC had that same PC vibe with online browser support, keyboard support, and more importantly games like Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament which both ran fantastic on DC and had amazing online play for 56k machines. In the case of Quake 3 you could even play with PC users and let them slaughter you with their broadband connections.

There were other PC ports that ran well, like Rainbow Six, etc. Plus titles like Phantasy Star Online felt like something you'd only previously been able to play on a PC. The issue was the DC just didn't last long enough. The Xbox didn't differ from the DC in terms of feeling like a PC squeezed into a console box, it just continued where the DC left off. IIRC the DC was discontinued before the Xbox even launched.