Forums - Sony Discussion - SPOILERS The Last Of Us P2 SPOILERS

I just watched a bit of the leaked footage and it's definitely not as bad as its made out to be. First off, Abby isn't some tranny monster, she's just a buffed woman who isn't even gay as there's a scene where she's kissing a guy. She's probably gone to some tough shit and I'm sure they'll explain why she's so buffed. To me it seems we're just getting 2 sides to the story where you also see a softer, more likable side of Abby and her having her sweet moments with a father like figure as well, who's probably the random surgeon Joel killed at the end of part 1. The point is probably that it wasn't just some random evil surgeon, it was a guy who was trying to save mankind and who seems to be Abby's version of Joel.

We'll see how the story turn out but one thing I do know, the gameplay looks absolutely insane!



Around the Network

Saw Angry Joe losing his shit. My subscription feed had 8 rage videos about this mess :s.






Regardless of all the social politics discussion,this franchise will likely take a hit because of how the loved known characters are treated in combination with the leaks.
I assume that if the known characters got a supposedly good story,the new characters would recieve less negative attention but i can only assume because i did not watch the leaks yet.



goopy20 said:
I just watched a bit of the leaked footage and it's definitely not as bad as its made out to be. First off, Abby isn't some tranny monster, she's just a buffed woman who isn't even gay as there's a scene where she's kissing a guy. She's probably gone to some tough shit and I'm sure they'll explain why she's so buffed. To me it seems we're just getting 2 sides to the story where you also see a softer, more likable side of Abby and her having her sweet moments with a father like figure as well, who's probably the random surgeon Joel killed at the end of part 1. The point is probably that it wasn't just some random evil surgeon, it was a guy who was trying to save mankind and who seems to be Abby's version of Joel.

We'll see how the story turn out but one thing I do know, the gameplay looks absolutely insane!

That rumor possible started on youtube by some edgy critic using clickbaiting to get more views,i'm getting slighty annoyed by those people and how they're seen as bringers of the truth by their community.



goopy20 said:
I just watched a bit of the leaked footage and it's definitely not as bad as its made out to be. First off, Abby isn't some tranny monster, she's just a buffed woman who isn't even gay as there's a scene where she's kissing a guy. She's probably gone to some tough shit and I'm sure they'll explain why she's so buffed. To me it seems we're just getting 2 sides to the story where you also see a softer, more likable side of Abby and her having her sweet moments with a father like figure as well, who's probably the random surgeon Joel killed at the end of part 1. The point is probably that it wasn't just some random evil surgeon, it was a guy who was trying to save mankind and who seems to be Abby's version of Joel.

We'll see how the story turn out but one thing I do know, the gameplay looks absolutely insane!

I don't know, Abby is really buff for a woman..

All jokes aside, anything leaked weather its true or not is never a good thing for the people wanting to play this game.



Around the Network

If you want to introduce more diverse characters into mainstream gaming, don’t do it at the expense of fan favourites. Because then fans will not only hate the character but more damaging is connecting the dots of hate and characters diversity together. Going forward any sequel with a diverse new character will be met with animosity not because of their identity but because their entrance means replacing one that people spent years investing in.

That’s the problem in a nutshell. Not homophobia or hating women.

Last edited by sales2099 - on 03 May 2020

 

 

sales2099 said:
First rule: if you want to introduce more diverse characters into mainstream gaming, don’t do it at the expense of fan favourites. Because then fans will not only hate the character but more damaging is connecting the dots of hate and characters diversity together. Going forward any sequel with a diverse new character will be met with animosity not because of their identity but because their entrance means replacing one that people spent years investing in.

That’s the problem in a nutshell. Not homophobia or hating women.

But can you recall ever seeing the same kind of reaction when fan favorites are replaced by non "diverse" characters?  For example, when Snake was replaced by Raiden people were upset, but it wasn't met with this kind of reaction.  When Dante was replaced by Nero for half of Devil May Cry 4, the reaction was not all that extreme.  

If it is solely about replacing older characters, we should expect the same general level of outrage whenever an old character is replaced.  But, that's not what we see.  I'm sure part of the reaction is because of displacing beloved characters, but that doesn't explain it all.



JWeinCom said:
sales2099 said:
First rule: if you want to introduce more diverse characters into mainstream gaming, don’t do it at the expense of fan favourites. Because then fans will not only hate the character but more damaging is connecting the dots of hate and characters diversity together. Going forward any sequel with a diverse new character will be met with animosity not because of their identity but because their entrance means replacing one that people spent years investing in.

That’s the problem in a nutshell. Not homophobia or hating women.

But can you recall ever seeing the same kind of reaction when fan favorites are replaced by non "diverse" characters?  For example, when Snake was replaced by Raiden people were upset, but it wasn't met with this kind of reaction.  When Dante was replaced by Nero for half of Devil May Cry 4, the reaction was not all that extreme.  

If it is solely about replacing older characters, we should expect the same general level of outrage whenever an old character is replaced.  But, that's not what we see.  I'm sure part of the reaction is because of displacing beloved characters, but that doesn't explain it all.

Raiden, and Dante didn't brutally murder the people they were replacing.



JWeinCom said:
sales2099 said:
First rule: if you want to introduce more diverse characters into mainstream gaming, don’t do it at the expense of fan favourites. Because then fans will not only hate the character but more damaging is connecting the dots of hate and characters diversity together. Going forward any sequel with a diverse new character will be met with animosity not because of their identity but because their entrance means replacing one that people spent years investing in.

That’s the problem in a nutshell. Not homophobia or hating women.

But can you recall ever seeing the same kind of reaction when fan favorites are replaced by non "diverse" characters?  For example, when Snake was replaced by Raiden people were upset, but it wasn't met with this kind of reaction.  When Dante was replaced by Nero for half of Devil May Cry 4, the reaction was not all that extreme.  

If it is solely about replacing older characters, we should expect the same general level of outrage whenever an old character is replaced.  But, that's not what we see.  I'm sure part of the reaction is because of displacing beloved characters, but that doesn't explain it all.

Not exactly comparable situations because the method of replacement differs, namely that the previous main characters die in The Last of Us Part II (Joel confirmed, Ellie unconfirmed). That means that those characters won't return in future games, so the replacement has something final to it instead of being a temporary state like in your examples.

But on the other hand, you are correct that there's more to it on top of the replacement. I mentioned it in a previous post of mine in this thread that the current controversy provides a platform for people who push their own political narrative. They don't account for the majority of people who complain right now, but they are going to be very vocal about it, so the whole issue grows into something really big.

One amplying factor in this is that the medium video games is basically the last bastion of entertainment that is largely free of political messaging - movies, TV and the internet in general are already infested by it - so this creates more paranoia, fear and hostility in response to Naughty Dog's story-driven decisions.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Angelus said:
JWeinCom said:

But can you recall ever seeing the same kind of reaction when fan favorites are replaced by non "diverse" characters?  For example, when Snake was replaced by Raiden people were upset, but it wasn't met with this kind of reaction.  When Dante was replaced by Nero for half of Devil May Cry 4, the reaction was not all that extreme.  

If it is solely about replacing older characters, we should expect the same general level of outrage whenever an old character is replaced.  But, that's not what we see.  I'm sure part of the reaction is because of displacing beloved characters, but that doesn't explain it all.

Raiden, and Dante didn't brutally murder the people they were replacing.

That is a valid criticism of the story.  I was on the fence about playing TLOU and the spoilers definitely made me not want to.  I have no interest in playing through one game as these characters, and then killing them in the next.  And some people have focused on that element, which is understandable.

A lot of other people have specifically harped on the fact that Abby is not traditionally feminine.  And that raises some serious flags as to what their real issue is.  

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 03 May 2020