By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 16, 2020 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

src said:

You're completely wrong.

FF7R's launch is massively ahead of FFXV. FFXV shipped 6 million in two months. FF7R has pretty much sold 3.5 million in 3 days.

Funny you mention Japan, when in FF7R has already outsold FFXV in two weeks lol

Things speaks for itself VIIR is down 90% in Japan already it's second week is lower than XV's second week so even though it had a better launch it's already looking like an uphill battle to hit the numbers you're claiming as everything has remained with in the range of XV which did 5m on PS4 so how VIIR going to sell double on a single platform when the drop off in the coming weeks is looking like it could be similar? If anything VIIR is looking like it'll hit around the region of 7m, XV at retail has sold 1.05m in Japan to VIIR's current 773k so I don't know where you got the last part from.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A couple of months ago I really thought FF7 and Animal Crossing were games of similar sales caliber.  I thought sales were going to be close with Animal Crossing having a bit of an advantage.  According to Wikipedia, "by the end of 2005, [Final Fantasy 7] had sold 9.8 million copies worldwide, including 4 million sales in Japan and 5.8 million sales abroad in North America and Europe."  And that was on the PS1 alone.  The best selling Animal Crossing previously was Wild World, and VGChartz has it sold 5.3m in Japan and 12.1m worldwide.  Considering FF7 had been released on other platforms I really saw these games as close in sales.

This is not close.  Not by a long shot.  At this point, FF7R would do well to sell half of what New Horizons does in Japan.  I doubt it will even do that.  I doubt it will even sell a fourth of what New Horizons does in Japan.  Animal Crossing is already so far ahead with only a -2% WoW drop while FF7R has a -90% drop.  There is no catching up.  One might even think that this virus would make it easier to play a home console game, since so many people are stuck at home.  It helps but not much.  FF7 and Animal Crossing are not close anymore, at least not in Japan.  New Horizons is shooting ahead while FF7R is falling behind.

ff7r sold 95.9% of its initial shipment. A big drop is expected.

Also, keep in mind the game already sold MORE than 1 million copies including release week digital sales of almost 270k.

Last edited by Kowan - on 23 April 2020

Kowan said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A couple of months ago I really thought FF7 and Animal Crossing were games of similar sales caliber.  I thought sales were going to be close with Animal Crossing having a bit of an advantage.  According to Wikipedia, "by the end of 2005, [Final Fantasy 7] had sold 9.8 million copies worldwide, including 4 million sales in Japan and 5.8 million sales abroad in North America and Europe."  And that was on the PS1 alone.  The best selling Animal Crossing previously was Wild World, and VGChartz has it sold 5.3m in Japan and 12.1m worldwide.  Considering FF7 had been released on other platforms I really saw these games as close in sales.

This is not close.  Not by a long shot.  At this point, FF7R would do well to sell half of what New Horizons does in Japan.  I doubt it will even do that.  I doubt it will even sell a fourth of what New Horizons does in Japan.  Animal Crossing is already so far ahead with only a -2% WoW drop while FF7R has a -90% drop.  There is no catching up.  One might even think that this virus would make it easier to play a home console game, since so many people are stuck at home.  It helps but not much.  FF7 and Animal Crossing are not close anymore, at least not in Japan.  New Horizons is shooting ahead while FF7R is falling behind.

Also, keep in mind the game already sold MORE than 1 million copies including release week digital sales of almost 270k.

Out of curiosity where is that sell through figure coming from?  I would kind of think that Square would have announced sold instead of shipped if the sell through rate was that high.  

JWeinCom said:
Kowan said:

Out of curiosity where is that sell through figure coming from?  I would kind of think that Square would have announced sold instead of shipped if the sell through rate was that high.  

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-3-5-million-in-three-days

And they did announce it, alongside the 3.5 million news. They shipped and sold 1m in Japan(physical and digital) and since Famitsu reported a sell through of 95.9% for the physicals then that means the rest of the 1 million are digital sales. Add this week's sales then that would amount to more than 1m sales for FF7r in Japan.

Kowan said:
JWeinCom said:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-3-5-million-in-three-days

And they did announce it, alongside the 3.5 million news. They shipped and sold 1m in Japan(physical and digital) and since Famitsu reported a sell through of 95.9% for the physicals then that means the rest of the 1 million are digital sales. Add this week's sales then that would amount to more than 1m sales for FF7r in Japan.

Don't see a sell through number there.

As for shipped and sold, interpreted it as the amount of physical copies they shipped (not necessarily sold) + the amount of digital copies they sold= 3.5 million.  I could be wrong about that, but otherwise, it would make more sense to me for them to say that they sold 3.5 million.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Kowan said:

As for shipped and sold, interpreted it as the amount of physical copies they shipped (not necessarily sold) + the amount of digital copies they sold= 3.5 million.  I could be wrong about that, but otherwise, it would make more sense to me for them to say that they sold 3.5 million.

You can find the link in the article itself. It goes here: https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/ff7-remake-well-received-in-japan-despite-lockdown-but-switch-hardware-sales-plunge-as-supply-tightens/ 

And I'm referring mainly to the Japan sales numbers which is 1 million. 

Kowan said:
JWeinCom said:

You can find the link in the article itself. It goes here: https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/ff7-remake-well-received-in-japan-despite-lockdown-but-switch-hardware-sales-plunge-as-supply-tightens/ 

And I'm referring mainly to the Japan sales numbers which is 1 million. 

Mkay.  I see it now, thanks.

Im expecting the Splatoon demo to increase its sales in the coming weeks.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

TOP 10 2020 Switch Famitsu:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons(2020) -3.611.246
  2. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 582.359
  3. Ring Fit Adventure - 270.953
  4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX(2020) - 237.956
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 223.576
  6. Minecraft - 210.291
  7. Smash Ultimate - 202.816
  8. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 162.989
  9. Super Mario Party - 143.193
  10. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 126.220

TOTAL: 5.771.599

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2019:

1. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 2.744.658
  2. Smash Ultimate - 1.057.012
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - 774.102
  4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 735.437
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 587.829
  6. Minecraft - 579.998
  7. Super Mario Party - 464.208
  8. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S - 456.426
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 446.649
  10. Ring Fit Adventure - 443.118

TOTAL: 8.289.437

• It's MAD, due to Animal Crossing, we are only 2.5M away from last year's TOTAL for the YEAR.
  • With big weeks yet to come this Quarter, I think we might see Switch Top 10 Software at the end of this Quarter above 7M
  • Animal Crossing will end up above 4.5M by the end of Quarter
  • Splatoon 2 is closing in on Luigi's Mansion 3, but Trails of Mana 3 might replace both by the end of the Quarter 
  • Ring Fit Adventure stock has still not arrived... that's the other title that will really take off once stock is plentiful

Can soneone post an it prints money gif, but with the AC version of the switch?