By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 16, 2020 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

It was said that Japanese people like JRPGs, but I don't think this is true.
They just like Pokémon, DQ, and MH, not JRPGs. With the majority of Japanese publishers focusing on mobile, it's hard to see any new JRPGs on consoles.
Honestly, as a Japanese, I'm happy to see indie games inspired by the JRPGs of yesteryear like Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Profile, and Earthbound, but at the same time, I'm a little saddened by the mobile-only state of affairs in Japan.

Around the Network

In the FFXV vs FFVII:R discussion, I think it's worth noting that FFXV sucked while FFVII:R is great! That might influence things going forward.

Signature goes here!

LatiosGames said:
Smash has always been ahead of Pokemon in these charts though the Pokemon games have almost sold the same amount of smash games in a lot smaller time window. i expect that the sales will increase once DLC comes out for the games leading it over smash. Though the real impressive one is animal crossing which has almost sold as much as smash has in 3 weeks and it will over take it when the next charts come out.

To be clear I know Pokémon's sales never passed Smash's total but up to a few weeks ago it was having better weekly sales than Smash and it looked possible for it to close the gap. But about three weeks ago Smash started outselling Pokémon weekly and I think it's going to stay that way unless the DLC boosts Pokémon significantly.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
LatiosGames said:
Smash has always been ahead of Pokemon in these charts though the Pokemon games have almost sold the same amount of smash games in a lot smaller time window. i expect that the sales will increase once DLC comes out for the games leading it over smash. Though the real impressive one is animal crossing which has almost sold as much as smash has in 3 weeks and it will over take it when the next charts come out.

To be clear I know Pokémon's sales never passed Smash's total but up to a few weeks ago it was having better weekly sales than Smash and it looked possible for it to close the gap. But about three weeks ago Smash started outselling Pokémon weekly and I think it's going to stay that way unless the DLC boosts Pokémon significantly.

Pokémon sales are generally higher when switch lites sales are high, so sales might pick back up when stock picks up and the race might become close again 

nantonaku said:

They just like Pokémon, DQ, and MH, not JRPGs. With the majority of Japanese publishers focusing on mobile, it's hard to see any new JRPGs on consoles.
Honestly, as a Japanese, I'm happy to see indie games inspired by the JRPGs of yesteryear like Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Profile, and Earthbound, but at the same time, I'm a little saddened by the mobile-only state of affairs in Japan.

I'm the one who said the Japanese like JRPG's.  It's pretty apparent if we just look at the sales numbers.  Going by the top 10 selling games on PS4 in Japan (using VGC numbers) it looks like this:

1. Monster Hunter World
2. Dragon Quest 11
3. Final Fantasty 15
4. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
5. Kingdom Hearts 3
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
7. Metal Gear Solid 5
8. Nier: Automata
9. Knack 
10. Persona 5

That is 7 out of 10 games that are JRPGs.  It's not only the most popular genre in the top 10, but it's more popular than all other genres combined.
The 3DS top 10 in Japan tells a similar story:

1.  Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2.  Pokemon X/Y
3.  Pokemon Sun/Moon
4.  Monster Hunter 4
5. Yokai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls
6. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby
7. Mario Kart 7
8. Monster Hunter Generations
9. Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Spirits
10. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

On the 3DS the charts are even more lopsided, because 8/10 of the titles are JRPGs. In the West we have this stereotype that Nintendo first party games crowd out all of the third party games.  But in Japan the story is very different.  In Japan, JRPGs crowd out a lot of Nintendo first party games.  Mario platformers, Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, etc... never made the top 10, because it's full of JRPGs. 

Regardless of platform, JRPGs dominate.  That is why it is absurd for someone to say that JRPGs are not popular in Japan, or that Animal Crossing represents changing tastes.  Animal Crossing is the only simulation game in either top 10 list.  It's still mostly JRPGs.

Around the Network

Monster Hunter is not a JRPG it never was the games are pure action titles they're like a sub-genre in the action genre.

JWeinCom said:
src said:

No you have not.

Your bundle theory is evidently debunked from official data. All best selling games get bundles. Considering FF7 just became one of the biggest launches in Playstation exclusive history there is no doubt it will get future bundles.

Lmao at ignoring a 96% sell through because it doesn't fit with your fantasy.

You're completely wrong.

FF7R's launch is massively ahead of FFXV. FFXV shipped 6 million in two months. FF7R has pretty much sold 3.5 million in 3 days.

Funny you mention Japan, when in FF7R has already outsold FFXV in two weeks lol

Dunno why you think I fantasize about FF7 not selling as well as Uncharted 4 or GOW.  I actually like this game a lot better than those, and I assure you my fantasies are much grander than a game that I actually like not selling as well as other games.  I have no personal stake in this, but the facts are what they are.

I said fantasy because the data you pull is completely made up.

I use data from official channels, the publishers themselves, whereas you don't, hence you jump to inaccurate conclusions.

You claimed SP, GoW don't have legs. From Sony's own data thats completely wrong.

Wyrdness said:
src said:

You're completely wrong.

FF7R's launch is massively ahead of FFXV. FFXV shipped 6 million in two months. FF7R has pretty much sold 3.5 million in 3 days.

Funny you mention Japan, when in FF7R has already outsold FFXV in two weeks lol

Things speaks for itself VIIR is down 90% in Japan already it's second week is lower than XV's second week so even though it had a better launch it's already looking like an uphill battle to hit the numbers you're claiming as everything has remained with in the range of XV which did 5m on PS4 so how VIIR going to sell double on a single platform when the drop off in the coming weeks is looking like it could be similar? If anything VIIR is looking like it'll hit around the region of 7m, XV at retail has sold 1.05m in Japan to VIIR's current 773k so I don't know where you got the last part from.

Someone has already told you how wrong you are but it bears repeating:

FF7 had a record breaking 96% sellthrough. SO yes it has serious stock issues.

FFXV with digital sold 1.15 million in Japan after years.

FF7 with digital sold 1 million+ in less than 1 week. 70k last week with digital would already put it above FFXV.

FFXV shipped 6 million in two months globally.

FF7R is going to smash that milestone.

Wyrdness said:
Monster Hunter is not a JRPG it never was the games are pure action titles they're like a sub-genre in the action genre.

An action RPG is a type of RPG.  If you defeat monsters and that makes your character more powerful, then it's an RPG, even if its through equipment.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

nantonaku said:

I'm the one who said the Japanese like JRPG's.  It's pretty apparent if we just look at the sales numbers.  Going by the top 10 selling games on PS4 in Japan (using VGC numbers) it looks like this:

1. Monster Hunter World
2. Dragon Quest 11
3. Final Fantasty 15
4. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
5. Kingdom Hearts 3
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
7. Metal Gear Solid 5
8. Nier: Automata
9. Knack 
10. Persona 5

That is 7 out of 10 games that are JRPGs.  It's not only the most popular genre in the top 10, but it's more popular than all other genres combined.
The 3DS top 10 in Japan tells a similar story:

1.  Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2.  Pokemon X/Y
3.  Pokemon Sun/Moon
4.  Monster Hunter 4
5. Yokai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls
6. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby
7. Mario Kart 7
8. Monster Hunter Generations
9. Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Spirits
10. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

On the 3DS the charts are even more lopsided, because 8/10 of the titles are JRPGs. In the West we have this stereotype that Nintendo first party games crowd out all of the third party games.  But in Japan the story is very different.  In Japan, JRPGs crowd out a lot of Nintendo first party games.  Mario platformers, Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, etc... never made the top 10, because it's full of JRPGs. 

Regardless of platform, JRPGs dominate.  That is why it is absurd for someone to say that JRPGs are not popular in Japan, or that Animal Crossing represents changing tastes.  Animal Crossing is the only simulation game in either top 10 list.  It's still mostly JRPGs.

Not as big as it used to, though. Only Pokémon and Dragon Quest maintain similar paces compared to the heydays. Interest has shifted to mobile games mainly, that's why I said there are changing interests. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

src said:

Someone has already told you how wrong you are but it bears repeating:

FF7 had a record breaking 96% sellthrough. SO yes it has serious stock issues.

FFXV with digital sold 1.15 million in Japan after years.

FF7 with digital sold 1 million+ in less than 1 week. 70k last week with digital would already put it above FFXV.

FFXV shipped 6 million in two months globally.

FF7R is going to smash that milestone.

No one has told me anything that's a figment of your imagination I didn't even mention sell through, 1m plus 70k is 1.07m while XV is 1.15m ahead by 80k do you have digital figures for week 2.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 24 April 2020