By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 16, 2020 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JWeinCom said:

It was never going to be that close, especially in Japan.  Trying to predict sales based on the original which launched over two decades ago doesn't work.  Much different market these days. In particular the Final Fantasy franchise is not nearly as big as it used to be, while the PS4's market is significantly smaller than PS1's.

Meanwhile, Switch games have generally been selling much higher than than games launched on the 3DS, and New Leaf's official numbers I think are about 12 million from Nintendo... and it's still actually selling a bit.  5.75 million of those are in Japan, so even if New Horizons just held that number and didn't beat New Leaf it would comfortably beat FFVII.

Ten million was basically the maximum for FFVII and the minimum for Animal Crossing.  JRPG is just a far smaller market.  

I know you are going to tell me you knew it all along, but you might want to reevaluate your thinking.  JRPG is not a small market in Japan.  The Japanese, in fact, really like Japanese RPGs.  It's Japan.  Other than Animal Crossing, what are the big franchises in Japan?  Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Monster Hunter...they're all JRPGs.  JRPG is the most popular genre in Japan!

It's true that Animal Crossing is crushing FF7R in sales, but it isn't because FF7R is a JRPG.  People unfairly crap all over JRPGs when talking about worldwide sales.  It's an even worse argument when we are talking about Japan.

Most recent Dragon Quest game is at 3.3 million across 3DS and PS4 and about 4 million WW.

I wouldn't call Monster Hunter to be a JRPG, but without arguing over genre, it's obviously a much different kind of JRPG than FFVII is. Even so, most recent game is at about 2.2 million in Japan and 4 million WW.

They both might sell a little more, but neither is anywhere in the league of New Leaf.  

The only JRPG that's selling near that level is Pokemon, which is an outlier.  Expecting FFVII to sell on Pokemon levels would be like expecting Street Fighter to sell at the same level as Smash.

Around the Network

Smash has always been ahead of Pokemon in these charts though the Pokemon games have almost sold the same amount of smash games in a lot smaller time window. i expect that the sales will increase once DLC comes out for the games leading it over smash. Though the real impressive one is animal crossing which has almost sold as much as smash has in 3 weeks and it will over take it when the next charts come out.

Jranation said:
Animal Crossing is coming for that Smash ass!!!

Villager is getting the Smash Ball! (or the golden hammer, if you prefer that one)

There are most likely serious stock issues for FF7. 96% sell through last week.

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A couple of months ago I really thought FF7 and Animal Crossing were games of similar sales caliber.  I thought sales were going to be close with Animal Crossing having a bit of an advantage.  According to Wikipedia, "by the end of 2005, [Final Fantasy 7] had sold 9.8 million copies worldwide, including 4 million sales in Japan and 5.8 million sales abroad in North America and Europe."  And that was on the PS1 alone.  The best selling Animal Crossing previously was Wild World, and VGChartz has it sold 5.3m in Japan and 12.1m worldwide.  Considering FF7 had been released on other platforms I really saw these games as close in sales.

This is not close.  Not by a long shot.  At this point, FF7R would do well to sell half of what New Horizons does in Japan.  I doubt it will even do that.  I doubt it will even sell a fourth of what New Horizons does in Japan.  Animal Crossing is already so far ahead with only a -2% WoW drop while FF7R has a -90% drop.  There is no catching up.  One might even think that this virus would make it easier to play a home console game, since so many people are stuck at home.  It helps but not much.  FF7 and Animal Crossing are not close anymore, at least not in Japan.  New Horizons is shooting ahead while FF7R is falling behind.

It was never going to be that close, especially in Japan.  Trying to predict sales based on the original which launched over two decades ago doesn't work.  Much different market these days. In particular the Final Fantasy franchise is not nearly as big as it used to be, while the PS4's market is significantly smaller than PS1's.

Meanwhile, Switch games have generally been selling much higher than than games launched on the 3DS, and New Leaf's official numbers I think are about 12 million from Nintendo... and it's still actually selling a bit.  5.75 million of those are in Japan, so even if New Horizons just held that number and didn't beat New Leaf it would comfortably beat FFVII.

Ten million was basically the maximum for FFVII and the minimum for Animal Crossing.  JRPG is just a far smaller market.  

10 million is not the maximum for FF7. Its did 3.5 million in 3 days, outpacing or being close to Spiderman and God of War.

FF7 would be at 10 million+ on PS4 alone within a year. Let alone PS5/PC/XBX. FF7R has the potential to do 15 million - 20 million.

Around the Network

Animal Crossing doing practically the same as last week and it has now surpassed Pokemon 

FFVIIR's drop is harsh but not unexpected.

src said:
JWeinCom said:

10 million is not the maximum for FF7. Its did 3.5 million in 3 days, outpacing or being close to Spiderman and God of War.

FF7 would be at 10 million+ on PS4 alone within a year. Let alone PS5/PC/XBX. FF7R has the potential to do 15 million - 20 million.

Already been through this.  Those games got a boost of several million from being bundled that FF7 is not likely to get.  Not an apt comparison.  It would need a significantly higher baseline to compete with those games.  Considering Spiderman's week 2 in Japan was higher than FF7 is not a good look shortages or no.

src said:

10m for FFVIIR is looking a bit harder at this point for a start it's not bundled like those games and looking at the second week performance its looking like 10m could be missed altogether for one the game had a 90% drop in Japan in week 2 while it also dropped in places like the UK. FFXV did 8m but was on multiple platforms to achieve that I doubt VIIR will hit 10m on PS4 alone.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 23 April 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:

A couple of months ago I really thought FF7 and Animal Crossing were games of similar sales caliber.  I thought sales were going to be close with Animal Crossing having a bit of an advantage.  According to Wikipedia, "by the end of 2005, [Final Fantasy 7] had sold 9.8 million copies worldwide, including 4 million sales in Japan and 5.8 million sales abroad in North America and Europe."  And that was on the PS1 alone.  The best selling Animal Crossing previously was Wild World, and VGChartz has it sold 5.3m in Japan and 12.1m worldwide.  Considering FF7 had been released on other platforms I really saw these games as close in sales.

Different games, different circumstances, different scenarios. VII Remake was released in a time where interest in Final Fantasy in general has dropped in Japan, whereas Animal Crossing got bigger after New Leaf. New Horizons also resembles the games that are more along the current tastes of Japanese gaming, and it also released on a machine that has been huge for Nintendo so far. 

I think it doesn't matter if VII was insanely popular in its time. If VII Remake doesn't appeal to the current tastes, which it clearly doesn't, it will never have a comparable sales growth to Animal Crossing. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Different games, different circumstances, different scenarios. VII Remake was released in a time where interest in Final Fantasy in general has dropped in Japan, whereas Animal Crossing got bigger after New Leaf. New Horizons also resembles the games that are more along the current tastes of Japanese gaming, and it also released on a machine that has been huge for Nintendo so far. 

I think it doesn't matter if VII was insanely popular in its time. If VII Remake doesn't appeal to the current tastes, which it clearly doesn't, it will never have a comparable sales growth to Animal Crossing. 

Saying it doesn't appeal to current tastes is a bit of an over statement.  Just doesn't appeal to current tastes as well as Animal Crossing does.