By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 16, 2020 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

Crazy AC legs

Around the Network

Animal Crossing numbers are just insane...

Week 01: ...1.880.626 / 1.880.626
Week 02: .......727.791 / 2.608.417
Week 03: .......423.367 / 3.031.784
Week 04: .......292.876 / 3.324.660
Week 05: .......286.586 / 3.611.246

First I thought like:

Week 08: ??? > 4.000.000 ??? (Week ending 10.05.2020)
Week 26: ??? > 5.000.000 ??? (Week ending 13.09.2020)
Week 42: ??? > 6.000.000 ??? (Week ending 03.01.2021)

But now even that seems to be beaten with ease.

Crazy, just crazy...

DaAndy said:
Animal Crossing numbers are just insane...

Week 01: ...1.880.626 / 1.880.626
Week 02: .......727.791 / 2.608.417
Week 03: .......423.367 / 3.031.784
Week 04: .......292.876 / 3.324.660
Week 05: .......286.586 / 3.611.246

First I thought like:

Week 08: ??? > 4.000.000 ??? (Week ending 10.05.2020)
Week 26: ??? > 5.000.000 ??? (Week ending 13.09.2020)
Week 42: ??? > 6.000.000 ??? (Week ending 03.01.2021)

But now even that seems to be beaten with ease.

Crazy, just crazy...

Very easy :P

Do those sales of FFVII include the bundles? Also when i look at Amazon Japan it says there's only 4 copies of FFVII in stock (or you can only buy a max of 4 copies) where AC says there are 10 in stock ( or can buy a maximum of 10 copies).

Animal Crossing is really going to be the top selling game of all time in Japan isn't it?

This franchise is straight up Nintendo biggest brand right now. Well at least in the video game world. Mario and Pokémon still beat it overall including non video game media but its only a matter of time before Nintendo starts milking AC outside of gaming too.

Around the Network

Well the shipments of the Switch console must arrive this week.

A couple of months ago I really thought FF7 and Animal Crossing were games of similar sales caliber.  I thought sales were going to be close with Animal Crossing having a bit of an advantage.  According to Wikipedia, "by the end of 2005, [Final Fantasy 7] had sold 9.8 million copies worldwide, including 4 million sales in Japan and 5.8 million sales abroad in North America and Europe."  And that was on the PS1 alone.  The best selling Animal Crossing previously was Wild World, and VGChartz has it sold 5.3m in Japan and 12.1m worldwide.  Considering FF7 had been released on other platforms I really saw these games as close in sales.

This is not close.  Not by a long shot.  At this point, FF7R would do well to sell half of what New Horizons does in Japan.  I doubt it will even do that.  I doubt it will even sell a fourth of what New Horizons does in Japan.  Animal Crossing is already so far ahead with only a -2% WoW drop while FF7R has a -90% drop.  There is no catching up.  One might even think that this virus would make it easier to play a home console game, since so many people are stuck at home.  It helps but not much.  FF7 and Animal Crossing are not close anymore, at least not in Japan.  New Horizons is shooting ahead while FF7R is falling behind.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 23 April 2020

It will be interesting to see what next week has to offer since the switch stock should be improving. Also look at Minecraft still trekking on.

OMG that AC hold this week! It's like double the sales I thought it would have this week.
Good god it just blew by Pokemon to take second place on Japan Switch list, and next week it'll blow by Smash and never look back.

Can't wait to see how popular it is in the rest of the world. But damn, before I was thinking it'd be competing with Pokemon for the second sales spot globally on Switch. Now I wouldn't be surprised if it is right behind Pokemon by the end of April! AC is straight up coming for Mario Kart for the top sales spot globally! Mario Kart and AC are gonna be in a race to see which hits 30 million first.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

A couple of months ago I really thought FF7 and Animal Crossing were games of similar sales caliber.  I thought sales were going to be close with Animal Crossing having a bit of an advantage.  According to Wikipedia, "by the end of 2005, [Final Fantasy 7] had sold 9.8 million copies worldwide, including 4 million sales in Japan and 5.8 million sales abroad in North America and Europe."  And that was on the PS1 alone.  The best selling Animal Crossing previously was Wild World, and VGChartz has it sold 5.3m in Japan and 12.1m worldwide.  Considering FF7 had been released on other platforms I really saw these games as close in sales.

This is not close.  Not by a long shot.  At this point, FF7R would do well to sell half of what New Horizons does in Japan.  I doubt it will even do that.  I doubt it will even sell a fourth of what New Horizons does in Japan.  Animal Crossing is already so far ahead with only a -2% WoW drop while FF7R has a -90% drop.  There is no catching up.  One might even think that this virus would make it easier to play a home console game, since so many people are stuck at home.  It helps but not much.  FF7 and Animal Crossing are not close anymore, at least not in Japan.  New Horizons is shooting ahead while FF7R is falling behind.

It was never going to be that close, especially in Japan.  Trying to predict sales based on the original which launched over two decades ago doesn't work.  Much different market these days. In particular the Final Fantasy franchise is not nearly as big as it used to be, while the PS4's market is significantly smaller than PS1's.

Meanwhile, Switch games have generally been selling much higher than than games launched on the 3DS, and New Leaf's official numbers I think are about 12 million from Nintendo... and it's still actually selling a bit.  5.75 million of those are in Japan, so even if New Horizons just held that number and didn't beat New Leaf it would comfortably beat FFVII.

Ten million was basically the maximum for FFVII and the minimum for Animal Crossing.  JRPG is just a far smaller market.