By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Anybody Believe the NSW can sell around 150mil lifetime?

Does NSW have a Chance at 150mil Lifetime?

Yes 28 22.58%

130-140mil max 7 5.65%

120mil around 29 23.39%

110mil around 38 30.65%

100mil cuz I’m pessimistic 22 17.74%

Total:124

120-130m I would say. 150 is really hard to reach. I doubt we'll ever see another console coming close to that number

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
I think it's still up in the air with the Switch, depending on whether the successor launches soon vs. a Switch Pro (which I would loop into the NSW sales numbers). I really don't see the Switch doing under 90M at this point, but anywhere from there to 120M are all within the realm of reasonable. Could it do more? Only if Nintendo doubles down with a round of sequels for all of their existing AAAs on Switch, and brings back some fan favorites with Paper Mario, F-Zero, maybe Earthbound.

150+ would need a terrific lineup of software from Nintendo, something that theoretically should/could happen with all of their studios working on one platform. So far, we haven't seen a huge bump in output from the Big N themselves, which is a bit of a shame.

Nintendo will release a Switch 2 but actually will not name it 2. Its sales numbers will be added to the old Switch models. That way, they will take the 150 mil. in a breeze. I really think they will do that (they have done the same with the Game Boy Color - let's face it, it was a real successor). Although, profit is much more important for companies than sales numbers, the announcement of having the best selling console ever will positively affect the stock market and will be a prestige for years to come with effect of lets name it indirect revenue. Nintendo Switch is the words best selling console lifetime! A slogan they would then be able to bank on for years (maybe for eternity).

When do Nintendo supporters expect a price cut for the Switch since the Lite model was released last September and there’s a $100 difference between them?

kazuyamishima said:
When do Nintendo supporters expect a price cut for the Switch since the Lite model was released last September and there’s a $100 difference between them?

Thing is Lite didnt effect OG model in the slightest and they conexist with each other. OG model is by far the more popular model as well. Lite isn’t a price cut. It’s just another option.

As for your question a price cut won’t happen intill either 2021 or 2022 and that’s only if Nintendo makes the decision to sell more hardware than make a better profit. thing is 3 years and now shortages and demand thru the roof there is no need for a price cut so for now it’s really hard to say. Only thing we kno is Nintendo doesn’t need one anytime soon :)

RolStoppable said:

Lots of baffling responses in this thread. Three years ago it was somewhat understandable that people willfully ignored historical sales data and had no clue that it was already a done deal that Switch is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U, so their stupid low lifetime sales predictions for Switch could be excused to some degree. But today? Nah, people should have learned a thing or two by now, especially those who've been around for the last few years.

Through 36 months Switch is tracking 6m ahead of the PS4. The current outlook is that Switch sales will be bigger in 2020 than they were in 2019, so the console hasn't peaked yet and therefore is going to increase its lead over the PS4 further once we've completed month 48. The PS4 is expected to sell between 120-130m lifetime, so in order for Switch to sell less than 120m, people must be expecting the infamous cliff to be approaching.

The common error I see is that people cherrypick historical sales data to arrive at the conclusion of low Switch sales (read: anything below 120m lifetime). There's no interest in learning and understanding how sales materialized, because if there was, the conclusions would be very different.

Fact 1: Price cuts prolong console sales. Switch has yet to see a price cut which is unprecedented for a console that is over three years old. It hasn't even had value-added bundles yet.

Fact 2: Revisions prolong console sales. Switch has only had the Lite model so far, but if you look at the portable consoles of the past, then it's normal that there more than two models over the course of a lifecycle.

Fact 3: Software sells hardware. The reason why Switch didn't peak early is that Nintendo's top development teams don't have to go back and forth between two consoles. This results in a constant stream of killer apps that isn't going to end anytime soon. In the past we've seen a sharp drop in newly released system sellers after year 3, especially on Nintendo home consoles. On the flipside, Nintendo handhelds could always count on new Pokémon games, so if you take that into consideration, it shouldn't be so surprising anymore that Nintendo handhelds had better long term sales.

Fact 4: Successful Nintendo consoles have a lifecycle of six years minimum before their successor launches. The only exception was the GBA due to extraordinary circumstances (Sony attempting to get a headstart over Nintendo's next generation), but something like that isn't going to happen to Switch. Skim over fact 1 to 3 again and put the pieces together: It's obvious that Nintendo is doing everything to give Switch a long lifespan because they keep holding their cards close to the chest instead of playing them early.

Fact 5: Third party support isn't slowing down for Switch. The health of the software pipeline is essential for hardware sales. It's why the PS Vita tanked in America and Europe despite "PS consoles have long lifecycles and always good sales" whereas it wasn't so bad in Japan where the system saw continued support from third parties. In any case, the point is that any analysis that is based on Nintendo vs. Sony is fundamentally stupid because what's important is the state of the software pipeline. Switch is in a great position, so any holes between first party releases are filled by third parties stepping up. Also, after three years of Switch, you should be aware of the importance of AAA third party support, or rather its lack thereof. When it's clear that isn't AAA third party software that has led to the Switch sales that are outpacing the PS4 launch-aligned, then it's also clear that the upcoming PS5 and XSX can't have any damaging influence on Switch's software pipeline.

Fact 6: Switch's technology didn't get outdated as fast as the PS4 and XB1. By the end of its third year, the PS4 already had its Pro model out; the Xbox One X followed a year later. Meanwhile, nothing comparable is on the horizon for Switch. Now you probably wonder how Switch could remain up to date despite having less processing power than consoles that launched 3.5 years earlier. It's because Switch doesn't sell itself on processing power to begin with, hence why a game like Animal Crossing can become one of the biggest blockbuster games of 2020. It's for the same reason that Nintendo doesn't need to worry about upcoming 10-12 TF consoles; being outclassed in processing power can only matter when a console manufacturer defines itself over processing power. But as it is, neither Switch owners nor prospective Switch owners put much, if any, stock in processing power, but rather enjoy what Switch excels at: Quality games anytime, anywhere.

Switch has sold close to 50m units by the end of 2019 and is on track to hit ~70m by the end of 2020. It's outpacing the PS4 and it has everything that is necessary to sell well for a long time. That's why challenging the PS2 and DS sales isn't that much of a long shot. It only is for the people who are stuck in the bubble of "PS consoles sell the best" and therefore start with the conclusion and arrange the facts to fit the conclusion, rather than looking at the facts and then forming a conclusion.

Bro, can I steal some of your facts to make a thread on Era? I always enjoy the way you write up things and make it easier to read than something I would come up with!!! Mainly Facts 1-3

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
aikohualda said:

lol pro =/= battery life.... even apple makes more effort than that 

More power = Pro

Pro = professional.

(and yes, I DID just write this response to be a pedantic jackass)  

Last edited by Jumpin - on 27 April 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

RolStoppable said:

Lots of baffling responses in this thread. Three years ago it was somewhat understandable that people willfully ignored historical sales data and had no clue that it was already a done deal that Switch is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U, so their stupid low lifetime sales predictions for Switch could be excused to some degree. But today? Nah, people should have learned a thing or two by now, especially those who've been around for the last few years.

Through 36 months Switch is tracking 6m ahead of the PS4. The current outlook is that Switch sales will be bigger in 2020 than they were in 2019, so the console hasn't peaked yet and therefore is going to increase its lead over the PS4 further once we've completed month 48. The PS4 is expected to sell between 120-130m lifetime, so in order for Switch to sell less than 120m, people must be expecting the infamous cliff to be approaching.

The common error I see is that people cherrypick historical sales data to arrive at the conclusion of low Switch sales (read: anything below 120m lifetime). There's no interest in learning and understanding how sales materialized, because if there was, the conclusions would be very different.

Fact 1: Price cuts prolong console sales. Switch has yet to see a price cut which is unprecedented for a console that is over three years old. It hasn't even had value-added bundles yet.

Fact 2: Revisions prolong console sales. Switch has only had the Lite model so far, but if you look at the portable consoles of the past, then it's normal that there more than two models over the course of a lifecycle.

Fact 3: Software sells hardware. The reason why Switch didn't peak early is that Nintendo's top development teams don't have to go back and forth between two consoles. This results in a constant stream of killer apps that isn't going to end anytime soon. In the past we've seen a sharp drop in newly released system sellers after year 3, especially on Nintendo home consoles. On the flipside, Nintendo handhelds could always count on new Pokémon games, so if you take that into consideration, it shouldn't be so surprising anymore that Nintendo handhelds had better long term sales.

Fact 4: Successful Nintendo consoles have a lifecycle of six years minimum before their successor launches. The only exception was the GBA due to extraordinary circumstances (Sony attempting to get a headstart over Nintendo's next generation), but something like that isn't going to happen to Switch. Skim over fact 1 to 3 again and put the pieces together: It's obvious that Nintendo is doing everything to give Switch a long lifespan because they keep holding their cards close to the chest instead of playing them early.

Fact 5: Third party support isn't slowing down for Switch. The health of the software pipeline is essential for hardware sales. It's why the PS Vita tanked in America and Europe despite "PS consoles have long lifecycles and always good sales" whereas it wasn't so bad in Japan where the system saw continued support from third parties. In any case, the point is that any analysis that is based on Nintendo vs. Sony is fundamentally stupid because what's important is the state of the software pipeline. Switch is in a great position, so any holes between first party releases are filled by third parties stepping up. Also, after three years of Switch, you should be aware of the importance of AAA third party support, or rather its lack thereof. When it's clear that isn't AAA third party software that has led to the Switch sales that are outpacing the PS4 launch-aligned, then it's also clear that the upcoming PS5 and XSX can't have any damaging influence on Switch's software pipeline.

Fact 6: Switch's technology didn't get outdated as fast as the PS4 and XB1. By the end of its third year, the PS4 already had its Pro model out; the Xbox One X followed a year later. Meanwhile, nothing comparable is on the horizon for Switch. Now you probably wonder how Switch could remain up to date despite having less processing power than consoles that launched 3.5 years earlier. It's because Switch doesn't sell itself on processing power to begin with, hence why a game like Animal Crossing can become one of the biggest blockbuster games of 2020. It's for the same reason that Nintendo doesn't need to worry about upcoming 10-12 TF consoles; being outclassed in processing power can only matter when a console manufacturer defines itself over processing power. But as it is, neither Switch owners nor prospective Switch owners put much, if any, stock in processing power, but rather enjoy what Switch excels at: Quality games anytime, anywhere.

Switch has sold close to 50m units by the end of 2019 and is on track to hit ~70m by the end of 2020. It's outpacing the PS4 and it has everything that is necessary to sell well for a long time. That's why challenging the PS2 and DS sales isn't that much of a long shot. It only is for the people who are stuck in the bubble of "PS consoles sell the best" and therefore start with the conclusion and arrange the facts to fit the conclusion, rather than looking at the facts and then forming a conclusion.

Ding ding ding! Winner by KO!

I don’t think it’s likely that Nintendo will burn it all down at the end of the generation. Given the Switch will have thousands upon thousands of games. There is no reason they can’t carry that all over to successor hardware and maintain the Switch 1 as an economy/low tier model with near full support (with lower end versions of software) for years to come.

This is already the most successful model for software playing hardware, and has been for years. Currently the console market is years behind, but I think it’s about to adapt to this model. The burn it all down and start from scratch model is outdated and was never good to begin with. I recall the fuss about SMS and SMD back in the 80s.

NightlyPoe said:
RolStoppable said:

7.5 years, so a holiday 2024 launch for its successor. Like I said, successful Nintendo consoles have had six years in the past (except the GBA), so a new console before 2023 isn't realistic. The other thing is that console manufacturers typically work towards a holiday launch in order to get off to a good start, so the earliest sensible date for the Switch successor would be holidays 2023. But since Switch still has so many price and revision options left after three years, I am expecting Nintendo to be able add another year without running into the problem of too low sales.

If Switch averages 17.5m per year from 2020 to 2023 - not too lofty of an expectation because 2020 and 2021 are bound to perform above this average - then it will be at ~120m by the end of 2023. Add another 12-15m in 2024 and post-successor sales of above 10m (if the 3DS could pull off such an 8-digit-figure, then Switch can certainly do the same) and you land in the range of 140-150m lifetime. It's not necessary to have crazy high expectations to approach 150m lifetime, all it takes is an outlook for a more realistic sales curve rather than Michael Pachter logic ("Switch won't sell 100m lifetime because that would mean 20m per year.") which set a hard time limit of five years for Switch's lifecycle.

7.5 years as Nintendo's main console and 2.5 years of post-successor legs for a total lifecycle of 10 years are sufficient to reach 150m lifetime. Switch's performance in 2020 and 2021 will determine how hard it's going to be to get to that number and that will depend first and foremost on Nintendo's software output over the course of the next 20 months. If they put out software that expands the current userbase with titles like Super Mario Bros. 5 and Switch Sports (motion control sports game akin to Wii Sports Resort) and hit hardware sales of 45m combined in these two years, then the aforementioned average over four years will be a lot easier to hit than if Nintendo wrecks itself with software output akin to the GameCube - examples of this would be doing a U-turn on the direction of Zelda with Breath of the Wild 2 or positioning Pikmin 4 as a big title.

Another thing that will allow Switch to have high sustained sales are the varying sales dynamics in different regions of the world. Europe is a fragmented market, each country being price-sensitive to a different degree. So far Switch has pulled off great numbers in France and decent numbers in a few other countries, but for the most part there are a lot of growth opportunities left, just like in rest of the world countries. So while Switch will be approaching its saturation point quicker in countries like Japan, the USA and France, other countries will begin to pick up the slack over time as the prices for the hardware SKUs become more affordable.

Not bad (I think we'd disagree moderately on 2021, but we'll set that aside), but I'd adjust a couple of things.  I think your 2024 estimates are pretty high.  12-15 million seems like a more realistic estimate for 2023 in this scenario.  For 2024, you'd be estimating that for a 7th year of a console that's also a transition year where the Christmas boost would be highly muted by the successor's launch.  In that environment, you've got the Switch performing about even with the 2017 launch year and 70-90% of 2018 levels.

Additionally, I think the 10 million you budget into the post-successor launch should overlap with the 2024 holiday period in that scenario.  2025 probably wouldn't be much more than 5 million altogether since the holiday would be a full year into the successor's reign and 2026 would just be the death rattle.

Adjusting for those two, I think we're back down into the 130 million+ territory.

or the switch could be like the NES and just not die as in many places were still selling the consoles for almost 30 years the reason why they stopped is Nintendo ran out of parts. now yeah that a huge outlier but it is possible that the switch could live long since it is a special case so who knows.

Yup, Rol should definitively be on Era, Tbone was a good surprise but he is not enough.