By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be Nintendo's big 2020 holiday game(s)?

Animal Crossing

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think the original plan was BotW 2 for the holidays.  It's not going to happen though.  The pandemic is going to slow things down too much.  By the same token Sony and Microsoft will not release their consoles this year.  It's all getting pushed back.  The Black Widow movie is getting pushed back from May to November.  Do we really think the video game companies can stay on schedule when Disney can't?  Nope.  Not going to happen.  The only difference is we are seeing the movie delays sooner.  The video game delays are going to be felt for most of the rest of this year though.

Hardly a fair comparison, is it? Between cinema and hardware manufacturing and selling, I mean.

There are loads of open stores and supermarkets in every city, but just one movie theater open in the entire US the last weekend, according to BOM.

You are talking about the retail side, the point of purchase.  What I'm saying is that the actual production is being slowed down.  Even if every store in the world is open during the holidays, they still might not have anything notable to sell.  It takes time to make both movies and video games and both media require a lot of collaboration to make the high budget stuff.  That collaboration just can't happen effectively with the pandemic going on.

Now if you want to talk about indie games, or indie movies for that matter, they don't require nearly as many people.  I can see a lot of indies going forward without much hindrance.

HyrulianScrolls said:
Am I the only one who thinks all these mario rumors are completely crazy? We’ve now had reports that a 3D mario all star collection featuring all of the pre switch 3D Mario’s, 3D World Deluxe, and a new Paper Mario are all coming this year. I say absolutely no way that’s all happening. Like I’d give MP4 a bigger chance of releasing this year than all of that Mario hitting in Q3/Q4. First of all, it wouldn’t even make good business sense to do that, they would all cannibalize each other. And second of all, no way is Nintendo going to be that generous to give us all of the 3D Mario’s remastered in one $60 game when the reality of the situation is they could get away with charging that much for one. I think a much more realistic scenario is either a Galaxy 1 and 2 remaster (since those games already look pretty gorgeous as far as non HD games go) OR 3D World Deluxe OR a 3D World sequel + a new Paper Mario game.

It's not very unrealistic to expect a 3D Mario Remaster Collection all in one game for 60$. We've seen Nintendo do it back on the Wii with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, where Nintendo/Retro Studios remastered 3 Masterpiece and High-Budget Metroid Prime games in one package, in fact on the Wii U Virtual Console they didn't even price the trilogy at 60$ as it was only 20$. Nintendo also did a huge remaster collection like this back on the SNES where they remastered every major 2D Mario in Super Mario All Stars in one package. The 3D Mario Remaster collection would essentially be a Super Mario All Stars but instead of every 2D Mario Game we're getting every 3D Mario game in one package. Plus as for pricing, Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii U VC was only 20$ and I'm sure Sunshine and Mario 64(Which was 10$ on VC) would be worth even less since they are old games. Plus these are remasters, not remakes, which means that it won't take a ton of development time or money just to remaster these games in a fresh coat of paint, so they won't be THAT much more valuable to warrant a separate release at a higher price point since they're just remasters.

My prediction, in order of likelihood:

Mario 3D remaster collection
Mario 3D World Deluxe
New Paper Mario
Breath of the Wild 2
New Mario Kart
Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster (going out on a limb w/this one but does make sense considering it's one of the few big Wii U games not to see a Switch release)
Pikmin 4 (?) (been awhile since we've heard from this franchise)

I think it'll be a fairly tepid holiday this year, even if 5 out of 7 of those come to fruition..

But I think next year's holiday season will be the big one, likely having Metroid Prime 4 and a number of other big titles to act as the sort of "last hurrah" before Nintendo begins to steadily shift their focus more towards a possible successor console beginning 2022.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

COVID-19 will likely delay a big holiday title or two to the first half of 2021. Breath of the Wild 2 would make a fantastic holiday release, but Q1/Q2 2021 seems pretty likely.
Nintendo might have to bank on the rumored remasters of 3D Mario games, a new Mario Golf, or Super Mario Party 2. I really don't see a big new title, even a Super Mario Odyssey 2, this holiday season.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
javi741 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
Am I the only one who thinks all these mario rumors are completely crazy? We’ve now had reports that a 3D mario all star collection featuring all of the pre switch 3D Mario’s, 3D World Deluxe, and a new Paper Mario are all coming this year. I say absolutely no way that’s all happening. 

It's not very unrealistic to expect a 3D Mario Remaster Collection all in one game for 60$. We've seen Nintendo do it back on the Wii with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, where Nintendo/Retro Studios remastered 3 Masterpiece and High-Budget Metroid Prime games in one package, in fact on the Wii U Virtual Console they didn't even price the trilogy at 60$ as it was only 20$. 

Think id split the difference between the 2 of u. Metroid prime trilogy was a great value but 10do seems to be valuing their older IP at a higher price these days. Think the best case scenario would be 3 collections- m64, & sunshine on 1, galaxy 1 & 2 on another, & some paper marios on the last. Full price 3dworld "deluxe". I think its more likely we'll just see eshop releases of the 1st 4 games I mentioned ranging from $10-$30. Just my own 2 cents.

AC ofc

EDIT fuck didnt see the obvious was mentioned

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Slownenberg said:

especially this year with new systems launching, that they won't have some centerpiece game for the holidays that says to people "forget the other systems, this is the must have game of the holidays!".

Assuming the new systems come out this year still. Nothing will stop them form selling well. Even if Nintendo had 10 games coming.

Core gamers are excited to see the beefed up hardware and hopefully some ray tracing in launch games.

You casual gamers or impulse buyers would probably just buy the cheapest thing on the market for their kids xmas present.

Cobretti2 said:
Slownenberg said:

especially this year with new systems launching, that they won't have some centerpiece game for the holidays that says to people "forget the other systems, this is the must have game of the holidays!".

Assuming the new systems come out this year still. Nothing will stop them form selling well. Even if Nintendo had 10 games coming.

Core gamers are excited to see the beefed up hardware and hopefully some ray tracing in launch games.

You casual gamers or impulse buyers would probably just buy the cheapest thing on the market for their kids xmas present.

hahahah. oh my. bitter much.

First off I was talking about Nintendo having something to compete for attention with the new systems launch. Didn't say anything about making people not buy the new systems.

Also your comment failed BADLY when you said ray tracing is what matters to this mythical "core" gamer you speak of haha. But yeah you must be right, anyone who doens't buy games for ray tracing must be "casual gamer or impulse buyer" haha. Boy I was probably gaming before you were born. I guess even these days non-gamer graphic whores like you still troll around gaming sites.

Excuse me now I have some real games to play, you go back to watching your ray tracing videos haha

I honestly beleive they will have nothing except maybe some port of a WiiU game probably Super Mario 3d World. I kinda get the feeling that Nintendo are struggling a little with HD for some reason. All there games seem to have a simple but effective art style. I would love to see them back to pushing out incredible graphics but i think them days are long gone now.