By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be Nintendo's big 2020 holiday game(s)?

Dyotropic said:
MasonADC said:

Releasing Pokémon in November counts as a holiday release. 
it’s very silly to think that Nintendo will have absolutely 0 first party releases after this point( I guess we are ignoring xenoblade and club house games). 

Pokemon is GameFreak.

It seems likely that there won't be a Nintendo direct this summer. This means that the earliest a new game could potentially be announced would be in a Fall direct. 

And is a first party title

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Cobretti2 said:

Assuming the new systems come out this year still. Nothing will stop them form selling well. Even if Nintendo had 10 games coming.

Core gamers are excited to see the beefed up hardware and hopefully some ray tracing in launch games.

You casual gamers or impulse buyers would probably just buy the cheapest thing on the market for their kids xmas present.

hahahah. oh my. bitter much.

First off I was talking about Nintendo having something to compete for attention with the new systems launch. Didn't say anything about making people not buy the new systems.

Also your comment failed BADLY when you said ray tracing is what matters to this mythical "core" gamer you speak of haha. But yeah you must be right, anyone who doens't buy games for ray tracing must be "casual gamer or impulse buyer" haha. Boy I was probably gaming before you were born. I guess even these days non-gamer graphic whores like you still troll around gaming sites.

Excuse me now I have some real games to play, you go back to watching your ray tracing videos haha.

Essentially my point is, it don't matter what Nintendo do, it won't slow sales as people tired of the PS4 and XBOX ONE already. They want to go next gen.

Sorry missed an R in the last sentenced, Should have been "Your casual" not you, as in people who just buy a console for 1 or 2 games who don't frequent gaming forums.

You can't tell me that core gamers are not interested in what I said. Look at a silly tech demo from UE5, core gamers are loving it and hope the actual games (well some at least) are visually that stunning. 

Cobretti2 said:
Slownenberg said:

hahahah. oh my. bitter much.

First off I was talking about Nintendo having something to compete for attention with the new systems launch. Didn't say anything about making people not buy the new systems.

Also your comment failed BADLY when you said ray tracing is what matters to this mythical "core" gamer you speak of haha. But yeah you must be right, anyone who doens't buy games for ray tracing must be "casual gamer or impulse buyer" haha. Boy I was probably gaming before you were born. I guess even these days non-gamer graphic whores like you still troll around gaming sites.

Excuse me now I have some real games to play, you go back to watching your ray tracing videos haha.

Essentially my point is, it don't matter what Nintendo do, it won't slow sales as people tired of the PS4 and XBOX ONE already. They want to go next gen.

Sorry missed an R in the last sentenced, Should have been "Your casual" not you, as in people who just buy a console for 1 or 2 games who don't frequent gaming forums.

You can't tell me that core gamers are not interested in what I said. Look at a silly tech demo from UE5, core gamers are loving it and hope the actual games (well some at least) are visually that stunning. 

The whole idea of the "core gamer" and "casual gamer" are not real things. "Core gamer" is derived from the silly sounding "hardcore gamer" term, which again, was a term invented by pretentious gamers so they could try to feel superior to some imaginary group of "casuals."

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

sethnintendo said:
That's a good question. They will have a few games but everything seemed to get screwed up this year. It's Mario anniversary right? They will have to crank out remaster or something like that. They need a couple new games such as a sequel or new IP.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to Clubhouse games since I'm into chess and board games. I know there aren't too many here pumped for it but I am.

Also I just got Switch like 2 months ago so I have plenty of games to play right now. I feel for dedicated Switch owners that got it a long time ago though.

I think now would be good time for Nintendo to pair up with more third party companies and lend them their neglected IPs. Sega should be allowed another F-Zero. There are plenty of third party companies that would partner with Nintendo and Nintendo could make sure quality is there. Heck look at Mario+Rabbids sales. No one expected that much in sales when first announced.

Yes I like that last idea. Mario+Rabbids was a fantastic surprise of a game. I'd love to see Nintendo work more with third parties especially since there are a ton of Nintendo IP that are out there that I bet Nintendo won't even get around to making on the Switch, despite the fact that we all thought that consolidating everything into one system would lead to a higher output.

Also don't feel too bad for long time Switch owners. I don't play a ton but I've had it since July 2017 and I have a huge backlog of games to get through that'll probably take me a couple years to get through without even buying another game. There's a huge quality library out there, I doubt very many people are hurting for games to play on Switch other than people who are extremely picky in what they play.

I believe that by the end of Switch's life, we will regard 2020 as the worst year ever for a Nintendo platform (1st party wise and in terms of quantity/scope of the games), while 2021 will the best year in memory.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
I believe that by the end of Switch's life, we will regard 2020 as the worst year ever for a Nintendo platform (1st party wise and in terms of quantity/scope of the games), while 2021 will the best year in memory.

I dunno. 2020 seems really lackluster, but 2015 and 2016 still seem worse. There was little to play on 3DS or Wii U in 2016. And 2015 had some misfires as well.

And we can only hope 2021 will be one of the best. Nintendo still hasn't had a better year for the Switch than 2017. Fingers crossed for a great 2021.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
trestres said:

I dunno. 2020 seems really lackluster, but 2015 and 2016 still seem worse. There was little to play on 3DS or Wii U in 2016. And 2015 had some misfires as well.

And we can only hope 2021 will be one of the best. Nintendo still hasn't had a better year for the Switch than 2017. Fingers crossed for a great 2021.

Yes I agree, there were very lackluster years before, Wii U era and Wii's last years were bad, but there was the 3DS and DS to make up for it.

I know this year's situation is not normal. So I believe, just my belief and not trying to push my opinion on others, that this year will be slow, majority of releases will be ports/remakes/smaller games, except for 3 or 4 new games, one of them being huge (AC) but overall a very slow year.

Next year instead will be packed to the teeth, so we will just have to wait.

Contrary to the Wii in the sense that each year was slower and slower, to a point where no meaningful releases were coming anymore, it died steeply, like no other console before. This year for the Switch will be the slump year, thanks to the virus and Nintendo themselves, but they will come back really strong next year.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Well considering they just dropped Paper Mario on us in July, I actually think they do have something more than just a remaster/port for the holiday season now. Maybe BotW2 really will be ready? Or else my money’s on a new Mario, maybe a sequel to 3D World instead of a port.

HyrulianScrolls said:
Well considering they just dropped Paper Mario on us in July, I actually think they do have something more than just a remaster/port for the holiday season now. Maybe BotW2 really will be ready? Or else my money’s on a new Mario, maybe a sequel to 3D World instead of a port.

But any of those Mario ports/remaster has more potential than paper Mario so I don’t really fetch that point 

MasonADC said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

But any of those Mario ports/remaster has more potential than paper Mario so I don’t really fetch that point 

It's not a matter of the sales potential, it's that Paper Mario is a brand new game that they decided not to say/show one thing about until 2 months from release. So if that's their new strategy, then we are literally clueless as to what they might have ready by November. BotW2 might be 80%+ finished if they're going with this show nothing until right before release thing for all their stuff right now.