Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be Nintendo's big 2020 holiday game(s)?

I think the original plan was to have Zelda BOTW 2 as the big holiday title game. With Cornavirus hitting us, I have my doubts that will be possible. So what we will mostlikely see the remaster of 3 or 4 mario games bundle, Paper Mario game, metroid trilogy, and some Wii U ports. A long with a few titles that were ahead on there development schedule (Nintendo has a long history of holding onto finished games in order to fill gaps). I really hope Zelda is able to make this year, but I don't have my hopes up for that. It might be possible since they seem to be largely reusing existing assets and engines.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network

I don't think Botw 2 was ever planned for this holiday. No insider ever pointed out to it being a possibility, even Emily which literally leaked so many titles really put the emphasis on Mario and RPG. So i don't think she would have left out something as big as the sequel to a GOTY. I think the plan is to put it out for the anniversary. The game will have like 4 or so years of dev. With the engine already made, the assets, the same world lore etc, i'm really expecting this to be huge and surprising.

For this year tho, i don't think Corona will have that much impact. Sure the Smash dlc was affected but it's not like they will just stop working on an entire game. My fear is they decide to push the titles still and maybe have unfinished or rushed product. The Mario collection and Paper mario game are what makes more sense.
Maybe we will see a new Ubisoft game, sequel to M+R ? We literally have no idea. We should get some ideas at the investors meeting May 7th or else we will only know at the june event.

Jumpin said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
Before the pandemic I really believed that BOTW2 could be a holiday 2020 release. Now there's no chance.

I honestly don't know. But I just hope they some sort of system seller for the holidays.

I’m curious how you know this?

I wasn’t aware Nintendo had given any status update on the game’s dev progress and how much is left to do on it.

Like I said, I believed, as in, had faith, as in, I didn't know obviously but I thought it was possible. With how this pandemic has affected every industry, I now believe this to not be possible. I can be wrong on both accounts.

1doesnotsimply

Ljink96 said:
I'm really hoping it isn't the Mario Collection. I love the plumber as much as anyone else but this would not excite me at all. "Hey, let's re-release games in HD for the holiday!" Nah, I'll pass. I know a ton of other people would hop on it, they're great games if the rumor is true but I have to have something new.

That being said it's either Breath of the Wild 2 which is looking unlikely but not impossible, a new Mario Kart, or something we don't know about. I hope it's something we don't know about or expect. I don't think it's Pokemon because the Tundra DLC will be out then to take the Pokemon slot.

But what's the most likely? Based off rumors it looks like a new Mario Kart but that just doesn't make much sense to me. I want a new Kart badly but 8 is still selling like a new game in a lot of territories. They'd be shooting the legs of 8 Deluxe.

Oh I agree absolutely some sort of Mario Collection is a cool addition to the library but in no way is like a major holiday release that would get fans excited.

No way its Mario Kart. There is no way Nintendo is gonna release a second Mario Kart on Switch that just doesn't make any sense at all, as you said, it'd kill off sales of their best selling evergreen game. No way its Pokemon either they just had Pokemon two years in a row, at absolute earliest Pokemon will be coming back holiday 2021 with a remake, I'd expect it to take until 2022 for a brand new Pokemon unless they phone it in but given the bad press around S/S I would think they'll take their time to really rework things for the next one.

BotW 2 is really the only big game we know about that could be coming soon but I feel like that is less likely now cuz of the pandemic. Maybe it'll just be a slew of not top-tier selling games if they have no big hitter if they were really counting on BotW2 being ready and its not. Like if Bayonetta 3, Paper Mario, another Ring Fit game, and Pikmin all released for the Fall, plus Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, some Zelda HD port, and some sort of Mario Anniversary Collection games that'd be a pretty full Fall/holiday season.

I'd be happy with Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Basically a collection of the older 3D Mario games, but with improved graphics. Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 and 2. I wouldn't be surprised if there was also Super Mario 3D World Deluxe Edition, that also comes with 3D Land.

With 3 years since 2017, BotW 2, Mario Odyssey 2 or Splatoon 3 wouldn't be out of the question.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
I think the original plan was to have Zelda BOTW 2 as the big holiday title game. With Cornavirus hitting us, I have my doubts that will be possible. So what we will mostlikely see the remaster of 3 or 4 mario games bundle, Paper Mario game, metroid trilogy, and some Wii U ports. A long with a few titles that were ahead on there development schedule (Nintendo has a long history of holding onto finished games in order to fill gaps). I really hope Zelda is able to make this year, but I don't have my hopes up for that. It might be possible since they seem to be largely reusing existing assets and engines.

Honestly, I can see BOTW2 being 2021 even without the virus as next year is Zelda's 35th anniversary, that an a Zelda collection along with Diamond and Pearl remakes I think will be the big holiday 2021 line up.

For this year though, because of the virus things feel uncertain for the industry as a whole, like I have thrown out all expectations I had any company this year. But if I would have to guess, I think the Mario re-releases, those are gonna sale like crazy if true.

Slownenberg said:
Ljink96 said:
I'm really hoping it isn't the Mario Collection. I love the plumber as much as anyone else but this would not excite me at all. "Hey, let's re-release games in HD for the holiday!" Nah, I'll pass. I know a ton of other people would hop on it, they're great games if the rumor is true but I have to have something new.

That being said it's either Breath of the Wild 2 which is looking unlikely but not impossible, a new Mario Kart, or something we don't know about. I hope it's something we don't know about or expect. I don't think it's Pokemon because the Tundra DLC will be out then to take the Pokemon slot.

But what's the most likely? Based off rumors it looks like a new Mario Kart but that just doesn't make much sense to me. I want a new Kart badly but 8 is still selling like a new game in a lot of territories. They'd be shooting the legs of 8 Deluxe.

Oh I agree absolutely some sort of Mario Collection is a cool addition to the library but in no way is like a major holiday release that would get fans excited.

No way its Mario Kart. There is no way Nintendo is gonna release a second Mario Kart on Switch that just doesn't make any sense at all, as you said, it'd kill off sales of their best selling evergreen game. No way its Pokemon either they just had Pokemon two years in a row, at absolute earliest Pokemon will be coming back holiday 2021 with a remake, I'd expect it to take until 2022 for a brand new Pokemon unless they phone it in but given the bad press around S/S I would think they'll take their time to really rework things for the next one.

BotW 2 is really the only big game we know about that could be coming soon but I feel like that is less likely now cuz of the pandemic. Maybe it'll just be a slew of not top-tier selling games if they have no big hitter if they were really counting on BotW2 being ready and its not. Like if Bayonetta 3, Paper Mario, another Ring Fit game, and Pikmin all released for the Fall, plus Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, some Zelda HD port, and some sort of Mario Anniversary Collection games that'd be a pretty full Fall/holiday season.

Hey, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Just release a great lineup of B tier franchises during the fall/holiday. The Mario Collection would likely still be the centerpiece but the games you mentioned would be just as enticing for other fans. 2020 is a strange year for gaming so I'm up for anything at this point. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think the original plan was BotW 2 for the holidays.  It's not going to happen though.  The pandemic is going to slow things down too much.  By the same token Sony and Microsoft will not release their consoles this year.  It's all getting pushed back.  The Black Widow movie is getting pushed back from May to November.  Do we really think the video game companies can stay on schedule when Disney can't?  Nope.  Not going to happen.  The only difference is we are seeing the movie delays sooner.  The video game delays are going to be felt for most of the rest of this year though.

Hardly a fair comparison, is it? Between cinema and hardware manufacturing and selling, I mean.

There are loads of open stores and supermarkets in every city, but just one movie theater open in the entire US the last weekend, according to BOM.

I feel like people are sleeping on the 3D Mario Remaster collection, Mario 3D World Switch, and a new Paper Mario game to carry them this holiday season. I think a remaster collection and Mario 3D World along with Paper Mario are big enough to carry the Switch this holiday. I know they're essentially just ports of older games but you need to realize that the Switch will likely be between 60-70Million by this Holiday, where most Switch games haven't experienced more obscure 3D Mario's like Sunshine and 3D World, so to them a remaster collection and 3D World are essentially new 3D Marios, and now with majority of Switch owners actually gamers unlike the Wii where it's install base was full of soccer moms, those 3D Mario games could be huge. Especially 3D world which is an amazing game that never sold well being on a system no one brought.

-Look at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, despite being a essentially a port of a Wii U game, it's currently by far the bestselling game on the Switch and it's because most people who purchased a Switch never purchased a Wii U to experience Mario Kart 8, making it seem like a new Mario Kart game for people on the Switch. Also for the few Wii U owners who did have Mario Kart 8, they're inclined to by it a 2nd time on Switch for the extra content,portability advantage, and convenience. The same could happen for Mario 3D, it's a game most Switch owners haven't experience so to them it's a new multiplayer 3D Mario game, also there's rumored extra levels in the game, making people who already played the game more inclined to buy it a second time, especially with the Switch being a good portable multiplayer system.

-Along with the 3D Mario remaster trilogy with a new Paper Mario, Nintendo could legitimately get carried by those games this holiday.

-Other than that, I won't be surprised if we see at least some type of Pokemon game release this holiday cause at this point any game with the name "pokemon" slapped on it will sell, and Game Freak/Nintendo are known for milking the shit outta that franchise.

-BOTW 2 might be a possibility, however I'm not sure if Nintendo is willing to release it along with the multitude of Mario games in the same Holiday season. Nintendo might think the 3D Marios are enough for the Holiday and bank on it but we'll see.

-In my mind only possibilities I see for the big holiday title is the Mario games, BOTW 2, and/or some type of Pokemon remake/remaster

trunkswd said:
I'd be happy with Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Basically a collection of the older 3D Mario games, but with improved graphics. Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 and 2. I wouldn't be surprised if there was also Super Mario 3D World Deluxe Edition, that also comes with 3D Land.

With 3 years since 2017, BotW 2, Mario Odyssey 2 or Splatoon 3 wouldn't be out of the question.

Yeah I've been thinking about Splatoon recently wondering if they might actually do another one on the Switch. I figured they'd make that a one-game per system series like Smash and Mario Kart (probably still most likely), but I could see them doing another one on Switch. Mostly just because, while I haven't played the original, the feeling I get is Splatoon 2 was basically just a "more of the same" type sequel. That plus it came out just a few months after launch, and the fact that its sales have died off as it is slowly creeping its way to 10 million so its not like a sequel would cannibalize Splatoon 2 sales. I don't know in what way they could really up the game from the last one, but assuming they think of some stuff I could see another Splatoon on the Switch.

My hope would be BotW 2 does in fact make it out this year, or they've been keeping tight lipped on a new 3D Mario game that they plan to launch this year, but it feels a bit early for a new 3D mario game already.