By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next 'Grand Theft Auto' could be a 'moderately sized release' with regular updates

As part of a studio overhaul, Rockstar Games is considering making the next "Grand Theft Auto" game a relatively smaller release built out over time, according to a new report.

Efforts to improve working culture at giant "Grand Theft Auto" and "Red Dead Redemption" developer Rockstar could involve a significant change in how the next "GTA" is released, per Kotaku.

"Grand Theft Auto V" debuted in 2013, with subsequent PlayStation 4 and Xbox One editions in 2014
and a PC version in 2015.

"Red Dead Redemption 2" then landed in 2018 on PS4 and XBO with a PC variant released in 2019.

Naturally, the expectation is that a new "Grand Theft Auto" will follow, though the report tells us it's still early in development.

When a sixth core "GTA" arrives, it could well be as "a moderately sized release (which, by Rockstar's standards, would still be a large game)".

Size and scope would then expand through "regular updates over time," an approach that could help reduce stress and extended overtime, the report contends.

Such a development model is already widely dispersed throughout the video game industry.

"No Man's Sky" famously turned an arguably overambitious space exploration venture into a community experience populated with new and previously missing features thanks to four years spent delivering major updates for free.

Lavish multiplayer sci-fi space ninja escapade "Warframe," free and powered by micro-transactions, has also significantly expanded its original scope with six big-ticket updates since emerging in 2013.

Others have championed a season-pass model that is intended to keep players involved and supports longer-term, post -elease development, with "Fortnite," "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds," "Destiny 2" and "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege" among them.

Source

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Around the Network

Maybe it's time to release it on the Switch with its huge installbase at the dawn of the next generation

I read Rockstar, and i feel Activision 2 that's in the making.

maybe better they release GTA6 sooner with regular new content updates than waiting for the end of the next ice age.

So it's another live service? Just remake Vice City or San Andreas in the GTA V engine, how hard is it?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
So it's another live service? Just remake Vice City or San Andreas in the GTA V engine, how hard is it?

At this point, don't give them any more less demanding idea's.

I don't like the direction Rockstar is going.

Not sure I like this idea, what made GTA V so great was having such a vast world at your fingertips straight away.. well after a few missions, but still.

Ka-pi96 said:
ie. if you like GTA for the singleplayer modes then prepare to be massively disappointed because it will be a small game and will stay small forever.

Well I guess like most people

This should only impact the amount of scripted content imo, there should still be 100hours of gameplay to be had