By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next 'Grand Theft Auto' could be a 'moderately sized release' with regular updates

Given that they never released the promise single player DLC for GTA5 either, I wouldn't trust them if they said "we'll add more later".

Around the Network

I believe Rockstar has overtaken Blizzard in longest development time per game.  Actually maybe that is Retro.

EricHiggin said:
Darwinianevolution said:
So it's another live service? Just remake Vice City or San Andreas in the GTA V engine, how hard is it?

At this point, don't give them any more less demanding idea's.

A remake of one of the old games would be as minimum efford as they come. Copy and paste the old Vice City map on the GTA V engine, add a couple of bells and whistles, some new minigames, and voilá. They wouldn't even need to design new missions or script.

The only thing that would be even less efford would be asking someone to port GTA V to the Switch, and for some reason (ehem online ehem) they don't want to.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Read dead 2 crunch really busted devs asses at Rockstar. Thus maybe releasing Gta6 in parts would alliviate the overwork.

So that means if they're still "considering" this, they've not net yet begun development of GTAVI. Will it even release on next gen.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
shikamaru317 said:

10 year wait for a sequel that sounds like it will be smaller than GTA V on release. Still no reputable Bully 2, LA Noire 2, or Midnight Club rumors. GTA Online has killed Rockstar for me, the huge amounts of money it brings in per year has allowed them to basically ignore releasing new singleplayer focused games on a regular schedule.

The more I think about Rockstar's current direction the more it pisses me off honestly. In gen 6 Rockstar released I believe 16 self developed games. In gen 7, that number dropped, but was still a respectable 10 games. In gen 8, we have gotten just 2 remasters (GTA V and LA Noire), 1 main game (RDR2), and 1 VR game (LA Noire). Even worse is that Rockstar still has 2000+ developers. With that many developers we should be getting at least 1 AAAA (GTA V or RDR2 scale project) and at least 3 AAA's (RDR1, Bully, LA Noire scale projects) per gen, but we're not, because Rockstar seems almost all of their devs working on either GTA 6, GTA Online, or RDR2 Online, their other IP's left to rot. 

Part of the problem is that they decided to make RDR2 AAAA when it didn't need to be. RDR in 2010 was the perfect scale for a game; not too big, not too small, not too expensive (budget around $80-100m as I recall), and it sold 15m+ copies, plenty to turn a profit on the budget. Instead of sticking with that scale for the sequel/prequel, they made it even larger and more expensive than GTA V, which ended up requiring 1600+ of their developers to work on the game, when they could have had those 1600 developers working on 4 AAA sized projects with about 400 devs each instead, RDR2, Bully 2, LA Noire 2, and Agent perhaps. Rockstar has allowed the scale of their projects to go way too big, and they have turned their studios into greedy, Online money making rackets. I don't even like GTA all that much, and while I liked RDR1, RDR2 disappointed me. Now the main things I want from Rockstar are Bully 2, an RDR1 remake on the RDR2 engine, and LA Noire 2, and I fear we won't get any of them anytime soon, if ever. 

It is happening in pretty much every studio, with rare exceptions. Some studios that used to put like 4 AAA titles last gen now put 1 or 2 whereas devs are working more, complaining more and more about overwork.

Darwinianevolution said:
EricHiggin said:

At this point, don't give them any more less demanding idea's.

A remake of one of the old games would be as minimum efford as they come. Copy and paste the old Vice City map on the GTA V engine, add a couple of bells and whistles, some new minigames, and voilá. They wouldn't even need to design new missions or script.

The only thing that would be even less efford would be asking someone to port GTA V to the Switch, and for some reason (ehem online ehem) they don't want to.

Well if GTA:VI comes up short, this would be the least they could do as an addition.

No thanks.

4 ≈ One

Fucking live service games.

Thank God I dont care about Rockstar games.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Ever since they made it mandatory to launch GTA V and RDR2 via R* client, I stopped caring about R*'s games in general. I couldn't less if they make a live service GTA MP based game, because I'm never going to touch another of their games, as long as they require me to install another shitty, non needed client.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"