By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis Remastered announced for Switch, PC, PS4 and Xbox One EDIT: It will be using new updated engine [UPDATE] Add Digital Foundry Video Analysis

Tagged games:

trasharmdsister12 said:

Apparently here's a tease of it in a recent CryEngine update trailer. *GOOSEBUMPS* (2:15 mark)

I've just read Crytek websites, they said they will added new graphic, and visual effect

https://press.crytek.com/crytek-announces-crysis-remastered

" Crysis Remastered will focus on the original game’s single-player campaigns and is slated to contain high-quality textures and improved art assets, an HD texture pack, temporal anti-aliasing, SSDO, SVOGI, state-of-the-art depth fields, new light settings, motion blur, and parallax occlusion mapping, particle effects will also be added where applicable. Further additions such as volumetric fog and shafts of light, software-based ray tracing, and screen space reflections provide the game with a major visual upgrade." 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not used to doing this on my phone so I can't copy the link, but apparently Saber are helping out with it.

Given what they squeezed out of Switch with Witcher 3, this bodes well for the quality of the Switch port. An in-house conversion would've been best but at least it's a competent team.

BTW, since Retro Studio hosts a bunch of ex-Crytek employees something tells me they could maybe use their exprience to utilize an engine that would best exploit Switch graphical capabilities for Metroid Prime 4 similar to what we be looking at with Crysis Remastered. 

Just speculating though.

Hope so, but Prime 4 feels forever out of reach at this point, it's almost 3 whole years since it was announced and we've yet to see anything of it...

HollyGamer said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

Apparently here's a tease of it in a recent CryEngine update trailer. *GOOSEBUMPS* (2:15 mark)

I've just read Crytek websites, they said they will added new graphic, and visual effect

" Crysis Remastered will focus on the original game’s single-player campaigns and is slated to contain high-quality textures and improved art assets, an HD texture pack, temporal anti-aliasing, SSDO, SVOGI, state-of-the-art depth fields, new light settings, motion blur, and parallax occlusion mapping, particle effects will also be added where applicable. Further additions such as volumetric fog and shafts of light, software-based ray tracing, and screen space reflections provide the game with a major visual upgrade." 

Interested to see how much of the new graphics make it onto Switch. Hopefully it's a case like Metro Redux and Alien Isolation where its based on the PS4 version and cleverly trimmed back.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 April 2020

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

BTW, since Retro Studio hosts a bunch of ex-Crytek employees something tells me they could maybe use their exprience to utilize an engine that would best exploit Switch graphical capabilities for Metroid Prime 4 similar to what we be looking at with Crysis Remastered. 

Just speculating though.

Hope so, but Prime 4 feels forever out of reach at this point, it's almost 3 whole years since it was announced and we've yet to see anything of it...

HollyGamer said:

Interested to see how much of the new graphics make it onto Switch. Hopefully it's a case like Metro Redux and Alien Isolation where its based on the PS4 and cleverly trimmed back.

Should be the case.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I used to be a moderator for the Crysis forums... So was involved heavily with the mod community back then, some of the graphics mods still amaze me, even after a decade.

It will be interesting to see how this remaster on consoles stacks up against Crysis on PC and whether it will continue to employ allot of the original pipeline effects which gave it such a defining look back then... I.E. Forward rather than Deferred Rendered, abundant use of parallax maps and more.

We also need to keep in mind that Crysis did release in an era where the PC was starting to experiment with Direct X 10 effects, but was still clearly stuck in a Direct X 9 world... Direct X 11 and 12 have brought forth a swade of new effects and optimizations since then... So hopefully we see allot more geometric complexity, especially for the terrain.

Either way, I will support this company and pick up a copy for all my platforms... Crysis and Crysis Warhead were amazing games, it gave PC gamers something to showcase what their PC's were truly capable of, during a time where console gamers were fapping over games riddled with excessive levels of bloom and blurry textures... And if console gamers finally get to have a real taste of what Crysis was about, then that is fantastic, it is a game that needs to be exposed to more gamers and be on more platforms.

Hopefully if it sells well enough so Crytek will support this franchise more going forward... Crysis 2 and 3 did sell less than the Original PC game if I remember correctly... And I think a large part of that is due to the loss of exclusivity and how relatively non-intensive the successors were on hardware .

Last edited by Pemalite - on 17 April 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

I used to be a moderator for the Crysis forums... So was involved heavily with the mod community back then, some of the graphics mods still amaze me, even after a decade.

It will be interesting to see how this remaster on consoles stacks up against Crysis on PC and whether it will continue to employ allot of the original pipeline effects which gave it such a defining look back then... I.E. Forward rather than Deferred Rendered, abundant use of parallax maps and more.

We also need to keep in mind that Crysis did release in an era where the PC was starting to experiment with Direct X 10 effects, but was still clearly stuck in a Direct X 9 world... Direct X 11 and 12 have brought forth a swade of new effects and optimizations since then... So hopefully we see allot more geometric complexity, especially for the terrain.

Either way, I will support this company and pick up a copy for all my platforms... Crysis and Crysis Warhead were amazing games, it gave PC gamers something to showcase what their PC's were truly capable of, during a time where console gamers were fapping over games riddled with excessive levels of bloom and blurry textures... And if console gamers finally get to have a real taste of what Crysis was about, then that is fantastic, it is a game that needs to be exposed to more gamers and be on more platforms.

Hopefully if it sells well enough so Crytek will support this franchise more going forward... Crysis 2 and 3 did sell less than the Original PC game if I remember correctly... And I think a large part of that is due to the loss of exclusivity and how relatively non-intensive the successors were on hardware .

Does a Crysis 4 makes sense? Would the storyline be lost or is it relevant?

I think that is the type of franchise they should reboot and get back to the phillosophy of pushing to the limit that will take PCs of the future to really max everything on the game. I can only sweat thinking what they would do thinking like that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

I think that is the type of franchise they should reboot and get back to the phillosophy of pushing to the limit that will take PCs of the future to really max everything on the game. I can only sweat thinking what they would do thinking like that.

Crysis is Sci-Fi. Anything is possible!

But yes, they should reboot the franchise... I feel Crysis 2 and 3 took many regressions in the gameplay and technical aspects in order to fit the console market.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

But yes, they should reboot the franchise... I feel Crysis 2 and 3 took many regressions in the gameplay and technical aspects in order to fit the console market.

They can go to self founding route like Star Citizen if they want to make the games for high end spec system only and will not held back by consoles or mainstream PC . That the most obvious way to develop the games like the first Crysis 

if this is indeed funding for C4 i will get it against my annoyance with remakes

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

And considering the PS5 and XSX do you and Pemalite think they could push that vision of only systems in the future will max up while making also competent version for consoles without compromissing the PC version or would be better to have the reboot PC-only?

CGI-Quality said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

I think the philosophy behind the game design was also something much more in line with the expectations of PC gamers back then. I'm not saying it's better or worse than other expectations, just different. A lot of PC games back in the day were designed around interactivity, even if it was eventually "pointless". And Crysis really ran with providing interactivity. And a lot of fun with interactive games is figuring out what you can and can't do. For example, Halo 3 came out the same year and it's also one of my favourite shooters (and games) of all time. Can you interact with much? No. But the core shooting, driving, and fighting the AI are done immensely well and that fit with the expectations of console gamers.

But can I pick up a chicken and launch it in strength mode at an enemy that then falls into a wooden barn that gets knocked over, crushing another enemy? Nope. And that was the beauty of Crysis and why I played it so much. The AI was very good as well for being able to coordinate in such a vast and dynamically changing environment so experimentation and replay was encouraged. 

Or shooting a tree and watching it collapse, hitting other obstacles and reacting as it went down. Knocking an entire house over with a grenade or driving into it (or throwing an enemy at it). It was such a well crafted, fun experience that I feel was missed with the port. 

Another reason I want to see F.E.A.R. get another shot, but that's another topic altogether.

That is the big thing that made Crysis great. People when they think of graphics only consider how high res it looks compared to the previous version. To me the love for graphics started with Red Faction in 2001. Could spend hours destroying the whole place lol.  Games like Crysis evolved that to the next level.  Can't wait to see what else they can do in a remaster with the environment when you throw in ray tracing and high res textures.