By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis Remastered announced for Switch, PC, PS4 and Xbox One EDIT: It will be using new updated engine [UPDATE] Add Digital Foundry Video Analysis

Tagged games:

I'm just fascinated to see how such a legendarily demanding game translates to mobile hardware.

I mean yeah it was ported to PS3 and 360 which are weaker than the Switch, but even with substantial cutbacks and a whole missing level those versions ran like a three legged tortoise on ketamine.

Will that level return here I wonder? And just how well can underclocked 2015 Tegra hardware run a game designed to push beyond even high end PCs in 2007?

This should make for one hell of an episode of DF, that's for sure. Could be one of Switch's defining tech showcases if Saber get it right.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

Crysis is Sci-Fi. Anything is possible!

But yes, they should reboot the franchise... I feel Crysis 2 and 3 took many regressions in the gameplay and technical aspects in order to fit the console market.

They can go to self founding route like Star Citizen if they want to make the games for high end spec system only and will not held back by consoles or mainstream PC . That the most obvious way to develop the games like the first Crysis 

In the meantime I will give criticism where criticism is due. :P

In saying that, the next-gen machines should mean that games should be able to be developed with higher degrees of simulation now that specs-wise they aren't as limited.

DonFerrari said:

And considering the PS5 and XSX do you and Pemalite think they could push that vision of only systems in the future will max up while making also competent version for consoles without compromissing the PC version or would be better to have the reboot PC-only?

Reboot it with the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X in mind, No reason not to... They are capable enough machines where gameplay won't get sacrificed with some luck, at-least initially.

curl-6 said:

I'm just fascinated to see how such a legendarily demanding game translates to mobile hardware.

I mean yeah it was ported to PS3 and 360 which are weaker than the Switch, but even with substantial cutbacks and a whole missing level those versions ran like a three legged tortoise on ketamine.

Will that level return here I wonder? And just how well can underclocked 2015 Tegra hardware run a game designed to push beyond even high end PCs in 2007?

This should make for one hell of an episode of DF, that's for sure. Could be one of Switch's defining tech showcases if Saber get it right.

We need to keep things in perspective, the Switch's CPU should be roughly equivalent to a low-clocked PC Quad-Core from 2007... And 4GB of Ram falls roughly in line with a system from that era.

The GPU however should beat a Geforce 8800GT hands down, it's a far more efficient design.

Basically the Switch is your high-end 2007 PC in a handheld form factor... And such a rig can push high settings, 30fps, 720P easily enough... But the real spanner thrown in the works is when you remaster such a game that is optimized for more CPU cores and more modern GPU feature sets, suddenly the Switch starts to pull ahead.

Either way, I am interested to see what they can do, it's got the potential to be a technically interesting port.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

They can go to self founding route like Star Citizen if they want to make the games for high end spec system only and will not held back by consoles or mainstream PC . That the most obvious way to develop the games like the first Crysis 

In saying that, the next-gen machines should mean that games should be able to be developed with higher degrees of simulation now that specs-wise they aren't as limited.

Well as you know Crysis 2 and 3 are not as good as Crysis 1 in terms of engine because they were lowering the targeted spes and platform. This because Crysis one was not selling a lot. It's a financial crisis (pun is not intended) , so they need mainstream money. I just hope they can try self founding route so it cannot held by mainstream spec and can target enthusiast  like what Star Citizen have done to the comunity.   

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

DonFerrari said:

And considering the PS5 and XSX do you and Pemalite think they could push that vision of only systems in the future will max up while making also competent version for consoles without compromissing the PC version or would be better to have the reboot PC-only?

Reboot it with the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X in mind, No reason not to... They are capable enough machines where gameplay won't get sacrificed with some luck, at-least initially.

curl-6 said:

We need to keep things in perspective, the Switch's CPU should be roughly equivalent to a low-clocked PC Quad-Core from 2007... And 4GB of Ram falls roughly in line with a system from that era.

The GPU however should beat a Geforce 8800GT hands down, it's a far more efficient design.

Basically the Switch is your high-end 2007 PC in a handheld form factor... And such a rig can push high settings, 30fps, 720P easily enough... But the real spanner thrown in the works is when you remaster such a game that is optimized for more CPU cores and more modern GPU feature sets, suddenly the Switch starts to pull ahead.

Either way, I am interested to see what they can do, it's got the potential to be a technically interesting port.

Thanks for the insight. I always love learning about the technical side of things. 

Could the AI, physics, and amount of alpha vegetation be a bottleneck on Switch, or should its newer architecture compensate for that? Those seem to be where the system often struggles in very demanding ports, like Witcher 3 or Doom 2016.

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

Thanks for the insight. I always love learning about the technical side of things. 

Could the AI, physics, and amount of alpha vegetation be a bottleneck on Switch, or should its newer architecture compensate for that? Those seem to be where the system often struggles in very demanding ports, like Witcher 3 or Doom 2016.

The engine is improved, so Switch should be able to handle those calculations. No, it won't be on the scale of the PS4/X1 versions, but it's a 2007 high-end PC equivalent in your hands. Besides, it was a 3 million polygon game in 2007 (a whopper at the time). In 2020, that's not a difficult thing to render, especially 3.6 iterations later. 

Whoa, I did not realize we were up to Cryengine 5.6.

With the new effects, hopefully res is good, like a locked 720p docked at least would be nice. 

Around the Network

I hope a Warhead remaster soon follows after this. It's one of my favorite fps ever.

HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

Well as you know Crysis 2 and 3 are not as good as Crysis 1 in terms of engine because they were lowering the targeted spes and platform. This because Crysis one was not selling a lot. It's a financial crisis (pun is not intended) , so they need mainstream money. I just hope they can try self founding route so it cannot held by mainstream spec and can target enthusiast  like what Star Citizen have done to the comunity.   

Crysis 1 sold over 3 million copies with the expansion selling over a million copies. (And let's be honest, still sells even today, yay Steam!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

And that beats out the VGChartz numbers of Crysis 2 which sold a combined total of 2.7~ million copies if VGChartz numbers are to be believed across TWO platforms. (Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.)
https://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/games.php?name=Crysis

Wikipedia says Crysis 2 sold about 3~ million copies across all platforms (PC included) which is less than the first game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis_2

So that "Mainstream money" didn't eventuate, once Crytek gave the flick to PC gamers and started to focus on consoles is when they started to decline as a company... Because before that PC gamers used to support Crytek extensively even during the FarCry era.

curl-6 said:

I would think the Switch will be fine, we need to remember it's a 2007 game being ported to a newer and more efficient game engine and remastered... It's not a 2020 game being ported downwards to Switch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Crysis 1 sold over 3 million copies with the expansion selling over a million copies. (And let's be honest, still sells even today, yay Steam!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

And that beats out the VGChartz numbers of Crysis 2 which sold a combined total of 2.7~ million copies if VGChartz numbers are to be believed across TWO platforms. (Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.)
https://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/games.php?name=Crysis

Wikipedia says Crysis 2 sold about 3~ million copies across all platforms (PC included) which is less than the first game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis_2

So that "Mainstream money" didn't eventuate, once Crytek gave the flick to PC gamers and started to focus on consoles is when they started to decline as a company... Because before that PC gamers used to support Crytek extensively even during the FarCry era.

That's why, it's still big question , why would they lower their quality  bar? If it's not for mainstream (console is part of mainstream) 

Didn't Crytek come under fire for saying graphics were more important than gameplay a few years ago? Crytek just always seemed like a mismanaged company. Then I guess working with EA didn't help and they worked on a Crysis 3 Wii U port that EA canned last minute because Mass Effect 3 didn't sell well. Maybe like Half-life on DC that will leak someday.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Crysis was never a particularly good game, so I don't really care all that much. Is this something people have actually wanted? For me, it played like a glorified tech demo (that no one could run) with weird physics and terrible writing. The fact that Crytek marketed the whole "it can't really run well on any rig" thing as a selling point and an accomplishment on their end makes it even worse.

Edit; good lord, looked it up and remember now; it has a 91 on metacritic! That's insane, I can't possibly understand why it's so high. The whole suit functions gimmick was neither super-original nor very well implemented (stealth for three seconds, yaaaay!).