By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think about FF VII Remake Cutscenes/Gameplay proportion?

To me, as long as the gameplay in between cutscenes is just as engaging, the ratio could be 50/50 for all I care... I remember Xenoblade Chronicles 2 having a lot of cutscenes as well, but I loved all of it. In my honest opinion, I don't like the telltale games as games... I would rather watch the story carry out then have random quick time events only. I feel like the Arkham games are the pinnacle of awesome gameplay and story. Just my jumbled opinion.

I'm really tempted to try this on my PS4 though. I'm really starting to love this series. I'm still new to it. My first was X, which I loved. I hated X-2 though. Playing through XII right now and loving it.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:
To me, as long as the gameplay in between cutscenes is just as engaging, the ratio could be 50/50 for all I care... I remember Xenoblade Chronicles 2 having a lot of cutscenes as well, but I loved all of it. In my honest opinion, I don't like the telltale games as games... I would rather watch the story carry out then have random quick time events only. I feel like the Arkham games are the pinnacle of awesome gameplay and story. Just my jumbled opinion.

I'm really tempted to try this on my PS4 though. I'm really starting to love this series. I'm still new to it. My first was X, which I loved. I hated X-2 though. Playing through XII right now and loving it.

Now you just have to hate XIII and have mixed feelings about XV and you'll be like the average FF fan born in the 90s xD

JK, I'm glad you got into this amazing series.

Major Tip:

When going for the biker boy trophy if u get lower than 75% just restart at last battle and it will put right at the beginning of with a cool new character. Just keep trying to you get it!.

It's rightly balanced. You said it best, you haven't played the game and failed to notice that in this video there are moments where the party is just passing through NPCs or hearing what others say along the way.

The real movie that includes just the cutscenes, where you can't do anything and just watch the action is about 9 hours. The cutscenes on top of that are of sublime quality, unlike other JRPGs that have to rely on basic animations to give the impression that the characters aren't completely stiff. Xenoblade 2 has 11-12 continuous hours of this, for example.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I would expect a lot of cutscenes in an rpg. It’s just that you used to have to talk to each person in each scene and read the text, now you can enjoy it in a movie like format. I haven’t played yet either because I can’t get my physical preorder 😭 but I liked what I saw in the demo.

Around the Network
Metallox said:
unlike other JRPGs that have to rely on basic animations to give the impression that the characters aren't completely stiff. Xenoblade 2 has 11-12 continuous hours of this, for example.

Xenoblade 2 was also made by a staff of 40 people, over the course of a couple years on a shoestring budget compared to FFVII, of course it's going to have better production values...

Ljink96 said:
Metallox said:
unlike other JRPGs that have to rely on basic animations to give the impression that the characters aren't completely stiff. Xenoblade 2 has 11-12 continuous hours of this, for example.

Xenoblade 2 was also made by a staff of 40 people, over the course of a couple years on a shoestring budget compared to FFVII, of course it's going to have better production values...

Also... I must say that for being in-engine cutscenes, they can display some neat fighting moments... 

Ljink96 said:
Metallox said:

Doesn't stop them from looking jarring, unfortunately. VII Remake doesn't suffer from it and that's a plus for it. 

Vodacixi said:
Ljink96 said:

Also... I must say that for being in-engine cutscenes, they can display some neat fighting moments... 

Aren't you referring to the few cutscenes in Xenoblade 2 that are actually motion-captured? 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
Ljink96 said:

Doesn't stop them from looking jarring, unfortunately. VII Remake doesn't suffer from it and that's a plus for it. 

Vodacixi said:

Aren't you referring to the few cutscenes in Xenoblade 2 that are actually motion-captured? 

Motion captured? You mean... Putting someone a special suit and track their movements to replicate them in the game? They did that in Xeno 2? o. O

Vodacixi said:
Xxain said:

Who . You have been a major FF7R whiner, specifically about the multi part thing. Typical of whiners, ya spend the majority of the games development period whining about every supposed negati, but not because you really care, but ultimate your pissy about your original issue. So game releases and instead of moving on... you hang around ... Making threads about any supposed negative element your favorite YouTuber or review outlet brought up under the guise of "being concerned/worried". We've all done it.  Just get the game and find out for yourself. You're going to do it anyways.

It turns out bad stuff draws attention more than good stuff. Good things are just good, there really is no need to argue about them. Maybe people enjoy being enthusiastic for a while, but that doesn't last long because ultimately, everyone agrees X is good.

Bad stuff however... it bothers people, it generates discussion, etc... It's something that I feel the need to talk more because in general, bad stuff happening means there is a potential problem that needs a solution. And that makes me do more often threads about fishy stuff than overall good news. Not just about FF VII, but about everything I see fit (Pokémon, Kingdom Hearts... you name it). It's not a grudge you guys think I hold over FF VII Remake. It just happens that it's a franchise I have interest in, it's relevant now and it's been having some questionable aspects since it was announced that I liked to discuss every time the moment was right. Nothing else.

I actually prefer to talk about good stuff, think and do things that make me feel good.

And you are the one that decides what you do, and if you have only posted negative stuff about FFVIIR then it isn't strange that people notice it and say that it is what you are doing, so you don't need to play the victm on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."