By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think about FF VII Remake Cutscenes/Gameplay proportion?

Vodacixi said:
Xxain said:

Who . You have been a major FF7R whiner, specifically about the multi part thing. Typical of whiners, ya spend the majority of the games development period whining about every supposed negati, but not because you really care, but ultimate your pissy about your original issue. So game releases and instead of moving on... you hang around ... Making threads about any supposed negative element your favorite YouTuber or review outlet brought up under the guise of "being concerned/worried". We've all done it.  Just get the game and find out for yourself. You're going to do it anyways.

It turns out bad stuff draws attention more than good stuff. Good things are just good, there really is no need to argue about them. Maybe people enjoy being enthusiastic for a while, but that doesn't last long because ultimately, everyone agrees X is good.

Bad stuff however... it bothers people, it generates discussion, etc... It's something that I feel the need to talk more because in general, bad stuff happening means there is a potential problem that needs a solution. And that makes me do more often threads about fishy stuff than overall good news. Not just about FF VII, but about everything I see fit (Pokémon, Kingdom Hearts... you name it). It's not a grudge you guys think I hold over FF VII Remake. It just happens that it's a franchise I have interest in, it's relevant now and it's been having some questionable aspects since it was announced that I liked to discuss every time the moment was right. Nothing else.

I actually prefer to talk about good stuff, think and do things that make me feel good.

And you are the one that decides what you do, and if you have only posted negative stuff about FFVIIR then it isn't strange that people notice it and say that it is what you are doing, so you don't need to play the victm on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Vodacixi said:

It turns out bad stuff draws attention more than good stuff. Good things are just good, there really is no need to argue about them. Maybe people enjoy being enthusiastic for a while, but that doesn't last long because ultimately, everyone agrees X is good.

Bad stuff however... it bothers people, it generates discussion, etc... It's something that I feel the need to talk more because in general, bad stuff happening means there is a potential problem that needs a solution. And that makes me do more often threads about fishy stuff than overall good news. Not just about FF VII, but about everything I see fit (Pokémon, Kingdom Hearts... you name it). It's not a grudge you guys think I hold over FF VII Remake. It just happens that it's a franchise I have interest in, it's relevant now and it's been having some questionable aspects since it was announced that I liked to discuss every time the moment was right. Nothing else.

I actually prefer to talk about good stuff, think and do things that make me feel good.

And you are the one that decides what you do, and if you have only posted negative stuff about FFVIIR then it isn't strange that people notice it and say that it is what you are doing, so you don't need to play the victm on it.

If you weren't so clearly trying to make me sound bad, you would realize that I didn't talked about what I liked to do, but what I feel is more necesary to discuss. If everything is fine, then that's it. If something is wrong or it looks wrong, that's something that needs to be adressed. Simple as that. It's not about me being harsh on FF VII Remake because I enjoy to be so. I don't. I didn't enjoy finding out KH III/ Re:Mind were a disappointment or that Sword and Shield were the worst Pokémon games ever made. But I felt that I had to talk about that. Just like with FF VII Remake now.

You also seem to try to ignore that I already said that I was wrong about this particular thread. I don't know what else do you want.

You guys can believe whathever you want. I have nothing else to say about this.

Vodacixi said:
DonFerrari said:

If you weren't so clearly trying to make me sound bad, you would realize that I didn't talked about what I liked to do, but what I feel is more necesary to discuss. If everything is fine, then that's it. If something is wrong or it looks wrong, that's something that needs to be adressed. Simple as that. It's not about me being harsh on FF VII Remake because I enjoy to be so. I don't. I didn't enjoy finding out KH III/ Re:Mind were a disappointment or that Sword and Shield were the worst Pokémon games ever made. But I felt that I had to talk about that. Just like with FF VII Remake now.

You also seem to try to ignore that I already said that I was wrong about this particular thread. I don't know what else do you want.

You guys can believe whathever you want. I have nothing else to say about this.

Them you should read what you posted. Because you put that "people pay attention and discuss bad stuff, etc", and likely you do the same.

Yes you said you were wrong about this thread, but will you deny you have been overly negative about this game (that you haven't played) and several other stuff you posted in VGC have been all on the negative side of things?

And you say I was trying to make you sound bad, are you some type of masochist? Because you feel compelled to talk about things you don't like instead of enjoying stuff you like? That is being a negative person, so both his reply to you and my explanation of why you were perceived that way are both valid.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Vodacixi said:

So... for the past few days, Youtube has been bombarding me with FF VII Remake videos. And one of them is apparently a collection of all the cutscenes in the game. The video is 15 hours long (obviously contains spoilers)

Spoiler!
Spoiler text.

I mean, I haven't played the game, so maybe people find this a non issue or a even a good thing and I'm doing this thread for nothing. But from an outsider perspective... 15 hours of cutscenes in a 30-40 hour game seems like an absurd proportion of the story part to me. There are JRPGs that can take twice or thrice more time than FF VII Remake to complete... and they have the same or less cutscene time. FF VII Remake almost has a 50/50 division between interactive and non interactive segments and I'm not sure I've seen a proportion as big towards the story in a JRPG before (in good JRPGs at least).

So, to the people who have played or are playing the game: do you feel like the game could use more gameplay time? Or do you feel like having this much cutscenes is a good thing and/or a non issue at all? Maybe you guys enjoy the cutscenes so much that they want a lot of it...

And for the ones who have not played the game: what do you think abou this from an outsiders perspective?

What is your Cutscenes/Gameplay ideal ratio?

ruior said:
Vodacixi said:

So... for the past few days, Youtube has been bombarding me with FF VII Remake videos. And one of them is apparently a collection of all the cutscenes in the game. The video is 15 hours long (obviously contains spoilers)

Spoiler!
Spoiler text.

I mean, I haven't played the game, so maybe people find this a non issue or a even a good thing and I'm doing this thread for nothing. But from an outsider perspective... 15 hours of cutscenes in a 30-40 hour game seems like an absurd proportion of the story part to me. There are JRPGs that can take twice or thrice more time than FF VII Remake to complete... and they have the same or less cutscene time. FF VII Remake almost has a 50/50 division between interactive and non interactive segments and I'm not sure I've seen a proportion as big towards the story in a JRPG before (in good JRPGs at least).

So, to the people who have played or are playing the game: do you feel like the game could use more gameplay time? Or do you feel like having this much cutscenes is a good thing and/or a non issue at all? Maybe you guys enjoy the cutscenes so much that they want a lot of it...

And for the ones who have not played the game: what do you think abou this from an outsiders perspective?

Not 15 hours in a 30 hours game, that's fore sure xD

Around the Network

Cutscenes are never positive, they just waste your life. In the 90's it was fun because it was new but even then you had games with immersive cutscenes.

For 2020 I see it as a weakness. It is fine to have some but when you lose literally hours of your life watching cutscenes because the deves are failing to make them fun and immersive or optional their must be something wrong with the devs and its fans.

konnichiwa said:
Cutscenes are never positive, they just waste your life. In the 90's it was fun because it was new but even then you had games with immersive cutscenes.

For 2020 I see it as a weakness. It is fine to have some but when you lose literally hours of your life watching cutscenes because the deves are failing to make them fun and immersive or optional their must be something wrong with the devs and its fans.

1: VIIR’s cut-scenes are fun and usually engaging emotionally. 

2: You can skip them even during your first play-through.

3: Different types of games, different needs, different approaches, different expectations.

4: Don’t play games known to have lots of cut-scenes if that’s not for you. Nothing wrong with the devs and fans enjoying them.

5: Thank you.

Hynad said:
konnichiwa said:

1: VIIR’s cut-scenes are fun and usually engaging emotionally. 

2: You can skip them even during your first play-through.

3: Different types of games, different needs, different approaches, different expectations.

4: Don’t play games known to have lots of cut-scenes if that’s not for you. Nothing wrong with the devs and fans enjoying them.

5: Thank you.

Just to give a good example.....  Bloodborne.  The game barely has cutscenes and is doing a way better job in story telling.   The option to skip cutscenes is like fast forwarding fights in bravely default.  It is just admitting you are doing a bad job as developper.

Vodacixi said:
ruior said:

Then what would be an acceptable ratio?

If you can quantify a bad, I'm sure you can quantify an acceptable :P

ruior said:
Vodacixi said:

Then what would be an acceptable ratio?

If you can quantify a bad, I'm sure you can quantify an acceptable :P

I guess... enough for cutscenes to feel slightly especial and to not feel like they are getting in the way of gameplay. I don't know If I could put a percentage to that ideal situation (and to be fair, I didn't put an exact percentage for the oposite situation xD).

Going back to the games I really liked in the past that make a relatively intensive use of cutscenes... They mostly range between 15% and 33% of a normal playthrough.