By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think about FF VII Remake Cutscenes/Gameplay proportion?

Hynad said:
konnichiwa said:

Just to give a good example.....  Bloodborne.  The game barely has cutscenes and is doing a way better job in story telling.   The option to skip cutscenes is like fast forwarding fights in bravely default.  It is just admitting you are doing a bad job as developper.

Not at all. Bloodborne does a stellar job at world building. Not at storytelling.

And I cannot disagree more with your stance on cut-scenes. Instead of saying they are inherently bad, which isn’t objective, why not simply say this kind of storytelling isn’t suited to your taste? Which would be fair enough.

Oh, Bloodborne also does a great job at storytelling too. It's just that it focuses on side stories rather than in one big plot like the vast majority of games. 

Anyway, I think cutscenes are not bad per se. It's just another way to tell a story. It's not better or worse. 

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

Not at all. Bloodborne does a stellar job at world building. Not at storytelling.

And I cannot disagree more with your stance on cut-scenes. Instead of saying they are inherently bad, which isn’t objective, why not simply say this kind of storytelling isn’t suited to your taste? Which would be fair enough.

Oh, Bloodborne also does a great job at storytelling too. It's just that it focuses on side stories rather than in one big plot like the vast majority of games. 

Anyway, I think cutscenes are not bad per se. It's just another way to tell a story. It's not better or worse. 

I agree with you here.

I think ff 7 was a story heavy game. Not in a Bloodborne way. In it's own way. And that's why a lot of people enjoyed it. 
I'm still playing the game slowly and glad they added more story and cutscenes. And in an interesting and cool way. I was afraid of having another FF XV or XIII. And so far so good. One thing to add is that usually FF games are very heavy on post-story game content.
Let's see..

Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

Yes, I'm sure in 20 years there will be million of people remembering and retelling the story of Bloodborne from memory and loving it deeply.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ruior said:
Vodacixi said:

I agree with you here.

I think ff 7 was a story heavy game. Not in a Bloodborne way. In it's own way. And that's why a lot of people enjoyed it. 
I'm still playing the game slowly and glad they added more story and cutscenes. And in an interesting and cool way. I was afraid of having another FF XV or XIII. And so far so good. One thing to add is that usually FF games are very heavy on post-story game content.
Let's see..

ruior said:
Vodacixi said:

I agree with you here.

Let's see..

Both games are story heavy. It's just that Bloorbone doesn't shout its story in a continuous flow of cutscenes and text boxes. It's up to the player to find out what's going on, to meet every character in Yharnam and to uncover every one of its stories and mysteries. Or... you can rush through the game with only a very vague idea of what you are doing. Either way is valid. But to to say that Bloodborne has bad storytelling... well, they either haven't played the game or they just rushed it without paying atention to anything. Because the story... or rather stories... are very clearly there. And they can be pretty powerful.

Either way, is just another way of telling stories in a videogame. Cutscenes are just fine xD

Vodacixi said:
ruior said:

I agree with you here.

Let's see..

ruior said:

I agree with you here.

Let's see..

Both games are story heavy. It's just that Bloorbone doesn't shout its story in a continuous flow of cutscenes and text boxes. It's up to the player to find out what's going on, to meet every character in Yharnam and to uncover every one of its stories and mysteries. Or... you can rush through the game with only a very vague idea of what you are doing. Either way is valid. But to to say that Bloodborne has bad storytelling... well, they either haven't played the game or they just rushed it without paying atention to anything. Because the story... or rather stories... are very clearly there. And they can be pretty powerful.

Either way, is just another way of telling stories in a videogame. Cutscenes are just fine xD

I never said that Bloodbourne storytelling was bad.

In fact, despite the fact that I've never played very much because it is just too hard for me and I sometimes just want a game to play and relax after work, I've heard great things about the storytelling in BB.
Of being innovative in the way it is told and it's quality.

In fact, going back to ff7r I've stopped playing it because I've seen they changed the game story and I think I liked the original because is the original. 

But will play with more time and see.

I think is better than ff xv in terms of story, that is for sure. But somehow I'm playing the game and feeling that SE does not have more ideas or is not bold to risk in a new massive story. Maybe this game will help them to be bolder in new stories, but let's see..