By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Surprised The Evil Within doesn't get more love, it's awesome

I'm replaying it at the moment and I'm struck once again by how excellent it is.

I put off buying it when it came out cos a lot of people said it was frustrating and just not that good. I'm really glad I finally decided to give it a chance though; it strikes a really great balance between impactful action and unsettling horror, and to me feels like a better successor to RE4 than RE5 or 6.

Sure its not perfect; the story's nothing special, but I really feel like outside of RE4 its one of the best examples of how to blend action and horror effectively.

With a metacritic in the 60s-70s, it's also a prime example of why I stopped listening so much to reviewers when choosing my purchases.

Anyone else really enjoy this one?

Around the Network

Ive played only the second one but did love it.
The action in it is good as well as the health.
The second part felt like a mix of RE4 and the last of us.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Yep, it's a great game. The sequel is great too.

Sequel is much better. IMO EW2 is better tan RE7.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

BraLoD said:
If you are talking about the first one, it's really clunky and frustating.
Lot of good ideas, abismal execution.

beats LoD

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
If you are talking about the first one, it's really clunky and frustating.
Lot of good ideas, abismal execution.

I thought the execution was fine; combat felt good with enemies feeling genuinely threatening and satisfying to kill, there was variety in encounters and setpieces with new baddies and mechanics introduced at a steady pace, resource management was well balanced in that I had to be careful but was never left empty-handed or under-equipped.

Leynos said:
Sequel is much better. IMO EW2 is better tan RE7.

I'd really love it if the sequel got a Switch port, I'd buy that day 1.

I really liked it, but it is more in line with RE 1-3 than to 4 imho.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I could never get into it tbh. I'm more for the undead or Alien/Predator/Terminator horror types, than I am for anything else, be it supernatural or criminal.

Last edited by Chazore - on 11 April 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Didnt play 2, but EW1 had really good scenario design, but the pacing and story really brings it down A LOT. I didnt even felt tense, Its just not scary at all, its weird.
Gameplay was alright I guess.

curl-6 said:

I'm replaying it at the moment and I'm struck once again by how excellent it is.

I put off buying it when it came out cos a lot of people said it was frustrating and just not that good. I'm really glad I finally decided to give it a chance though; it strikes a really great balance between impactful action and unsettling horror, and to me feels like a better successor to RE4 than RE5 or 6.

Sure its not perfect; the story's nothing special, but I really feel like outside of RE4 its one of the best examples of how to blend action and horror effectively.

With a metacritic in the 60s-70s, it's also a prime example of why I stopped listening so much to reviewers when choosing my purchases.

Anyone else really enjoy this one?

The Evil Within has a 75 Metscore (version with most reviews) that's just short of great.