By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Surprised The Evil Within doesn't get more love, it's awesome

The first game is better by far, was so good. It was made by the great shinki mikami wasn't it?  the RE director. The second felt shorter and didn't have as impactful moments, and wasn;t a big fan of the boss fights. However it depends on the difficulty and the timing and the secret locations you find, as gameplay changes drastically depending on the weapons you have/modifacations changes the game completely, so open world design can have it's pro and cons. Both though,  are way better than the re2/re3 remake. I'm surprised both aren't in the 90/s on metacritic, considering re2remake ( which to me felt over rated) got so much love...

Last edited by KratosLives - on 12 April 2020

Around the Network

I've only played the first one. As a fan of the RE games, it's pretty good. There are even times when it could've been great but I think the story was a bit too scattershot for my taste. Also, there were also several sections that sucked including SPOILER: The last boss of the game being a turret section. Are you kidding me? In a horror game? Shameful really.

Still, it was the best new horror franchise out of the PS3 era aside from Alien: Isolation though who knows if that one will ever get a sequel.

Spike0503 said:
I've only played the first one. As a fan of the RE games, it's pretty good. There are even times when it could've been great but I think the story was a bit too scattershot for my taste. Also, there were also several sections that sucked including SPOILER: The last boss of the game being a turret section. Are you kidding me? In a horror game? Shameful really.

Still, it was the best new horror franchise out of the PS3 era aside from Alien: Isolation though who knows if that one will ever get a sequel.

Ps3, I thought it was ps4.. Has it really been that long..?

KratosLives said:
Spike0503 said:

Ps3, I thought it was ps4.. Has it really been that long..?

It was a cross-gen title released in 2014 across both PS4/Xbone and PS3/360.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:

I actually put off buying it for a while because folks said it was frustrating, and I am easily frustrated, but honestly I don't have a problem with it.

It certainly never felt broken to me. I played though it on easy though, so maybe that helps.

For me it was the opposite.

Wright was praising it to the sky so I got it and I'm glad I did digitally or I might have broken it haha.

I don't remember which difficult I played but it was most likely normal as every other game.

I had a similar problem with Valkyria Chronicles too. Everybody prasing it so much and when I finally played it... damn that game is horribly unballanced and is filled with design flaws everywhere. It got to the point I realized the game wanted me to run to the flag and not try to actually cautionly strategize my actions and it turned really easy...

You monster!!

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

Hey curl-6, I read this thread and have always thought of you as a level headed VGC user (and a fellow Aussie) so I bought the game on Steam and will play it when I get through some current projects. I'll let you know what I think...

P.S. Currently playing Golf Story & Doom 2 on Switch, Sunset Overdrive on PC....

d21lewis said:
BraLoD said:

For me it was the opposite.

Wright was praising it to the sky so I got it and I'm glad I did digitally or I might have broken it haha.

I don't remember which difficult I played but it was most likely normal as every other game.

I had a similar problem with Valkyria Chronicles too. Everybody prasing it so much and when I finally played it... damn that game is horribly unballanced and is filled with design flaws everywhere. It got to the point I realized the game wanted me to run to the flag and not try to actually cautionly strategize my actions and it turned really easy...

You monster!!

It's still better than TeW tho.

I absolutely love the art style and the main char, but the game is so damn flawed.

I remember being able to be locked before the first boss fight where you fight a giant vehicle and need climb on it to destroy some parts over it or something and can't progress until a specific sequence happens, which was beong prevent by me being obviously too cautions of that juggernaut and taking cover where I could nearby, which was the way it was designed to turn and it wouldn't with me there, so I could shot everything I had on it and nothing happened and it just wouldn't do a thing.

The game literally punished me for thinking on what was the safe thing to do for my chars and not panicking by locking me with an enemy on an unbeatable state that would do nothing.

I remember doing a backlog on estebxx wall while playing it and posting all my problems cause by the game itself and it starts in the very first mission.

It sure was lucky I liked the protagonist so much.

BraLoD said:
d21lewis said:

You monster!!

I absolutely love the art style and the main char, but the game is so damn flawed.

I remember being able to be locked before the first boss fight where you fight a giant vehicle and need climb on it to destroy some parts over it or something and can't progress until a specific sequence happens, which was beong prevent by me being obviously too cautions of that juggernaut and taking cover where I could nearby, which was the way it was designed to turn and it wouldn't with me there, so I could shot everything I had on it and nothing happened and it just wouldn't do a thing.

The game literally punished me for thinking on what was the safe thing to do for my chars and not panicking by locking me with an enemy on an unbeatable state that would do nothing.

I remember doing a backlog on estebxx wall while playing it and posting all my problems cause by the game itself and it starts in the very first mission.

Watching playthroughs online, players did a lot of things I never even considered but I think I "played it right" or at least the way devs expected me to. Still one of my most cherished gaming experiences and I love VC4 even more. It's just that this is the first time I think I ever heard anything negative about it.

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:
BraLoD said:

Watching playthroughs online, players did a lot of things I never even considered but I think I "played it right" or at least the way devs expected me to. Still one of my most cherished gaming experiences and I love VC4 even more. It's just that this is the first time I think I ever heard anything negative about it.

Yeah, everybody is always praising it to no end.

But it was pure frustation for me during the whole game.

I love everything about it except the actual battles, even the concept of them is pretty good too.

Storming through the mission was very effective but very sad too.

BraLoD said:

It's funny, while I really like the game itself, the protag is actually one of the weaker aspects for me. I mean he wasn't annoying or bad, I just found him kinda dry and unremarkable.

tripenfall said:
Hey curl-6, I read this thread and have always thought of you as a level headed VGC user (and a fellow Aussie) so I bought the game on Steam and will play it when I get through some current projects. I'll let you know what I think...

P.S. Currently playing Golf Story & Doom 2 on Switch, Sunset Overdrive on PC....

Cheers man, hope you enjoy it! :)

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.