Forums - Gaming Discussion - Surprised The Evil Within doesn't get more love, it's awesome

curl-6 said:

I'm replaying it at the moment and I'm struck once again by how excellent it is.

I put off buying it when it came out cos a lot of people said it was frustrating and just not that good. I'm really glad I finally decided to give it a chance though; it strikes a really great balance between impactful action and unsettling horror, and to me feels like a better successor to RE4 than RE5 or 6.

Sure its not perfect; the story's nothing special, but I really feel like outside of RE4 its one of the best examples of how to blend action and horror effectively.

With a metacritic in the 60s-70s, it's also a prime example of why I stopped listening so much to reviewers when choosing my purchases.

Anyone else really enjoy this one?

The Evil Within has a 75 Metscore (version with most reviews) that's just short of great.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
curl-6 said:

I'm replaying it at the moment and I'm struck once again by how excellent it is.

I put off buying it when it came out cos a lot of people said it was frustrating and just not that good. I'm really glad I finally decided to give it a chance though; it strikes a really great balance between impactful action and unsettling horror, and to me feels like a better successor to RE4 than RE5 or 6.

Sure its not perfect; the story's nothing special, but I really feel like outside of RE4 its one of the best examples of how to blend action and horror effectively.

With a metacritic in the 60s-70s, it's also a prime example of why I stopped listening so much to reviewers when choosing my purchases.

Anyone else really enjoy this one?

The Evil Within has a 75 Metscore (version with most reviews) that's just short of great.

In the gaming media, a 75 is generally used to denote "okay-ish". It's just 1 percentage point above a yellow or "mixed" tag.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Jpcc86 said:
Didnt play 2, but EW1 had really good scenario design, but the pacing and story really brings it down A LOT. I didnt even felt tense, Its just not scary at all, its weird.
Gameplay was alright I guess.

Try 2. It's secretly one of the best sequels that improved on a first game. It really goes places.

Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

In the gaming media, a 75 is generally used to denote "okay-ish". It's just 1 percentage point above a yellow or "mixed" tag.

You have to draw the line somewhere. Metacritic does it between 74 and 75 but that doesn't mean that there's a world of difference between these scores. It also doesn't mean that the "gaming media" (incredibly generalizing) shares the same views.

Also, you seem to forget that this is an (weighted) average score. Just because your personal score is a bit higher doesn't make it wrong. There were plenty of reviews in the 80s or higher but at the same time just as many in the 70s or lower.

Barozi said:
curl-6 said:

You have to draw the line somewhere. Metacritic does it between 74 and 75 but that doesn't mean that there's a world of difference between these scores. It also doesn't mean that the "gaming media" (incredibly generalizing) shares the same views.

Also, you seem to forget that this is an (weighted) average score. Just because your personal score is a bit higher doesn't make it wrong. There were plenty of reviews in the 80s or higher but at the same time just as many in the 70s or lower.

I'm just saying, gamers and the gaming media generally don't treat a 75 as particularly good.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

I'm just saying, gamers and the gaming media generally don't treat a 75 as particularly good.

The overabundance of games raking these 80+ scores doesn't help either. The averaging in reviews with most popular games as gone up significantly after the first half of this generation.

This shouldn't diminish the impression you get from games that gets into the 70's though, they're still good. 

At the end, consider aggregate scores as a guideline more than just the ultime judgement as whether a game is worth playing or not.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

There is some truth to this. Some outlets, and by extension many fans, treat 5/10 as the baseline when it should denote a game of average quality. I can say that the writing team at VGChartz is committed to a more balanced scale where a 7/10 represents a worthwhile game just short of greatness.

But back to the OP: I'm glad you like TEW! I also enjoy it. I love that each chapter focuses on a different horror motif or trope, although my favorites are the ones that emulate RE4.

I'd be interested in your take on the sequel. I found it inferior. It felt as if the folks at Bethesda saw the premier game's lukewarm reaction and niche appeal and decided to make the follow-up more attractive to a larger fan base--thus diluting what made it special in the first place.

I really liked the first one, but it dragged on too long. the second one, I didn't liked too much, I think it was because of those open world segments.

I really like this game, sets up great atmosphere. First playthrough was very hard, beat it like 4 times. But it has some technical issues with base PS4 like framerate drops and clunky controls.

Bought the first one. It was pretty hard. Moved on to something else. Always wanted to buy the second and give the first another try.

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures