By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD 2020 Thread: Switch > 1 million

Ryng said:
tak13 said:

I'm stunned!
Animal crossing, which is a game that appeals to an audience that hadn't started to jump on switch yet, plus the #stayathome effect ( even xboxone and ps4 have astounding results, given their age ) !
What was wii's and ds' best march results ever?

Wii best March was 721K in 2008, DS 701K in 2010.

Thanks for numbers... 1 more question but only if you can, can you make maybe a top 10 or top 20 best months (outside of nov/dec) sold for this gen and last gen combined?

so

1) 1000k NSW 2020

2) 906k NSW 2017 (launch)

3) 721k Wii 2008

etc

Around the Network
Ryng said:
tak13 said:

I'm stunned!
Animal crossing, which is a game that appeals to an audience that hadn't started to jump on switch yet, plus the #stayathome effect ( even xboxone and ps4 have astounding results, given their age ) !
What was wii's and ds' best march results ever?

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

400k less that WII+DS, NS is a hybrid console, so I always compare it with the  sales of the previous Nintendo home and handheld consoles combined! https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9139419

NS seems to have a potential to surpass GB/GBC.  

IF NS sells 180m , then I will consider it the best selling console ever, 157m as handheld console and 33m as a home console! ;)

Jranation said:
xl-klaudkil said:
And i remember peoplw thinking the switch would be a bad move, just a shame nintendo's output with new ip's are so bad. Would love to see more games like breath of the wild or xenoblade2!

Yeah hopefully we do get more new IPs. I believe Animal Crossing is the last major Nintendo IP to finally be on the Switch. Their new IPs so far like 1 2 Switch, Arms, Labo and Ringfit have sold quite well. Soo hopefully this is a sign that more is coming. 

With the number of big titles coming i'm sure they will experiment a little more. Splatoon turned out to be so huge, i don't see them trying something new at this end of this year or next year at the very least.

There is also that MonolithSoft new IP that we still haven't heard much about.

newwil7l said:

Damn 3DS really never caught on in America did it?

Xbox One was even a lot more successful there.

3DS sold quite well. It's no DS but it did well for itself.

top 10 non holiday NPD since gen 6

01/02. DS April 2009 - 1.040.000
02/01. NSW March 2020 > 1.000.000 (could be first)
03. NSW March 2017 - 906.000
04. GBA June 2001 - 880.000
05. GBA March 2003 - 838.000
06. Wii October 2008 - 803.000
07. DS June 2008 - 783.000
08. Wii February 2009 - 753.000
09. Wii March 2008 - 721.000
10. Wii April 2008 - 714.000

Around the Network
tak13 said:
Ryng said:

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

400k less that WII+DS, NS is a hybrid console, so I always compare it with the  sales of the previous Nintendo home and handheld consoles combined! https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9139419

IF NS sells 180m , then I will consider it the best selling console ever, 157m as handheld console and 33m as a home console! ;)

The problem with that logic, is that you are not considering double dippers.  For example, if someone buys a Switch to replace his WiiU and 3DS, that sale should be counted as two since it replaced two devices.  Seeing how software was still isolated between WiiU and 3DS, and that same person only buying a Switch would result in no less software sales due to that fact, from a financial standpoint the actual profit/success of a single hybrid would be no different from the two devices combined.  This is because software sales is where Nintendo makes their money, and the Switch is ripe with add on potential due to its versatility as well.  With that said, 100 Switches sold would offer more sales potential, and therefore more success, than a combined total of a dedicated handheld and console due to saftware sales.  Seeing many 1st party IPs on Switch shatter sales records despite being nowhere near the combined total of GameCube and GameBoyAdvance backs this up as well.

And another thing to point out, is why would you combine sales from devices from two separate generations?  In order to, by your logic, call the Switch the best selling device of all time you would have to combine Wii and DS sales...not DS and N64 sales.  So you are not allowed to be impressed unless it sells almost 260m units sir!  

;)

Last edited by Shiken - on 22 April 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
tak13 said:

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

The problem with that logic, is that you are not considering double dippers.  For example, if someone buys a Switch to replace his WiiU and 3DS, that sale should be counted as two since it replaced two devices.  Seeing how software was still isolated between WiiU and 3DS, and that same person only buying a Switch would result in no less software sales due to that fact, from a financial standpoint the actual profit/success of a single hybrid would be no different from the two devices combined.  This is because software sales is where Nintendo makes their money, and the Switch is ripe with add on potential due to its versatility as well.  With that said, 100 Switches sold would offer more sales potential, and therefore more success, than a combined total of a dedicated handheld and console due to saftware sales.  Seeing many 1st party IPs on Switch shatter sales records despite being nowhere near the combined total of GameCube and GameBoyAdvance backs this up as well.

And another thing to point out, is why would you combine sales from devices from two separate generations?  In order to, by your logic, call the Switch the best selling device of all time you would have to combine Wii and DS sales...not DS and N64 sales.  So you are not allowed to be impressed unless it sells almost 260m units sir!  

;)

Did you open the quoted link? It's a post of mine on another thread , I'm sharing my opinion about those ''double dippers'' and if they were many or not!

As for the last paragraph, the answer is no! You have misunderstood,  my intention wasn't that! 

I combined what are you saying, but then I'm isolating a specific number ( which I'm projecting as the number of the handheld part installbase) to compare it with PS2, (a home console only) and the best console of all time! 

Last edited by tak13 - on 22 April 2020

Damn.. Nintendo is back again! The massive Animal Crossing effect..

And now we await the inevitable arrogance and complacency that will come w/Nintendo's rise until they grow out of touch, stubborn, and shoot themselves in the foot. Then they'll be forced to listen to the consumers again and release ANOTHER success, and the cycle repeats.. XD

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

tak13 said:
Shiken said:

;)

Did you open the quoted link? It's a post of mine on another thread , I'm sharing my opinion about those ''double dippers'' and if they were many or not!

As for the last paragraph, the answer is no! You have misunderstood,  my intention wasn't that! 

I combine what are you saying, but then I'm isolating a specific number ( which I'm projecting as the number of the handheld part installbase) to compare it with PS2, (a home console only) and the best console of all time! 

I did read it, and I don't see how MK8D already being where MK on the DS was has any relevance to double dippers of Nintendo HARDWARE.  If anything it only supports my point as it would seem that DS sales could have been lower because of people opting for the Wii version instead.  This would imply that while they bought both devices, many people picked one version of the game over the other...which pretty much sums up the entire premise of how handheld+console sale offers the same software potential for a single hybrid sale.  People buy two different types of hardware with different form factors all the time...software not so much (outside of collectors).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
tak13 said:

I combine what are you saying, but then I'm isolating a specific number ( which I'm projecting as the number of the handheld part installbase) to compare it with PS2, (a home console only) and the best console of all time! 

I did read it, and I don't see how MK8D already being where MK on the DS was has any relevance to double dippers of Nintendo HARDWARE.  If anything it only supports my point as it would seem that DS sales could have been lower because of people opting for the Wii version instead.  This would imply that while they bought both devices, many people picked one version of the game over the other...which pretty much sums up the entire premise of how handheld+console sale offers the same software potential for a single hybrid sale.  People buy two different types of hardware with different form factors all the time...software not so much (outside of collectors).

Oh... I dind't have that version in my mind. Impressive,  still it isn't certain.

I know that many owners of NS weren't owning a nintendo hardware before ( imagine , even in the 7th gen), but is it a sufficient amount...?

Nevertheless, i insist on that, so MK8D has a pool of at least 45m buyers, based on the Mario kart ds+wii sales (71m) and extrapolating ( out of necessity, in an arbitary way) the probable number of people that own both consoles and the MK game of each one.

Last edited by tak13 - on 22 April 2020