By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 DualSense microphone array will cancel noises from the environment and isolate audio from the user specifically

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/04/08/ps5-dualsense-mic-array-patent/

"From the full text of the patent:

When three or more microphones are included in the array of microphones, it is possible to determine the location of a sound source relative to the microphone array [that] can be localized based on the relative timing of its sound as captured by each of the microphones.

Taken in combination with the known location and orientation of the controller (as determined based on sensors and tracking methods) and by extension the known location and orientation of the microphone array, then the location of the sound source within the interactive environment can be determined.

Furthermore, captured sound can be processed to exclude sounds which do not emanate from a certain region of the interactive environment.

SegementNext also notes a portion of the patent that talks about use with multiple users and controllers, allowing the DualSense to eliminate crosstalk coming from other players and DualSense mic arrays.

Moreover, when multiple controllers are utilized, then the captured audio data from the multiple controllers can be analyzed in combination, along with the locations and orientations of the controllers, to enable determination of the locations from which sounds originate with high levels of accuracy.

The patent seems to suggest that use of the onboard mic array won’t be as much of a disaster as it seems. Hypothetically, if everything works as the patent says, it should eliminate things like players’ TV audio or music coming through chat, isolation the audio to just the user’s voice from behind the DualSense.

There’s also some thoughts that the DualSense mic array is for more than just voice chat, with patents last year hinting that the PS5 might have a kind of voice assistant. The PS4 does have some limited voice interaction functionality, but it largely goes unused. Having the mic built right into the controller could provide Sony with just what it needs to invest further in this feature."

Around the Network

Hopefully it works well and doesn't just cause background noise to sound muffled or staticky.

Wonder if that will impact battery life.

I find that innovation is a great thing, BUT I have already had to replace one Dualshock 4 as it stopped charging (triggers were acting funky before that). Before that all of my Sony controllers have worked fine (My PS2 controllers work perfectly to this day) so if innovation comes at the cost of controller durability and battery life...I am not sure I want it. My DS4 has an awfully low batt life.

SammyGiireal said:
I find that innovation is a great thing, BUT I have already had to replace one Dualshock 4 as it stopped charging (triggers were acting funky before that). Before that all of my Sony controllers have worked fine (My PS2 controllers work perfectly to this day) so if innovation comes at the cost of controller durability and battery life...I am not sure I want it. My DS4 has an awfully low batt life.

They said it will " maintain strong batteries life ", probably means at least the life expectancy of the batteries will be the same like DS4 or it could be better.

From tech standpoint, the haptic feedback it self are using less movement/motor movement compared to old rumble tech that exist on DS4. Also the light bar this time around will have less power draw compared to DS4 due to less and smaller led. 

But the noise canceling and microfon is still in question whether  it will draw a lot of batteries or not, but of course you can disable it to maintain batteries life. But from the blog post they clearly explain that they will make the batteries life longer , i bet the bulky design are the indicator that they add bigger batteries.   

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:

Just get a super long USB cable and keep it on charge indefinitely.

HollyGamer said:

They said it will " maintain strong batteries life ", probably means at least the life expectancy of the batteries will be the same like DS4 or it could be better.

From tech standpoint, the haptic feedback it self are using less movement/motor movement compared to old rumble tech that exist on DS4. Also the light bar this time around will have less power draw compared to DS4 due to less and smaller led. 

But the noise canceling and microfon is still in question whether  it will draw a lot of batteries or not, but of course you can disable it to maintain batteries life. But from the blog post they clearly explain that they will make the batteries life longer , i bet the bulky design are the indicator that they add bigger batteries.   

I doubt Sony will make any regressions on battery life considering how much of a sticking point it has been.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Sony recommended that they prefer you to use headsets if possible so I wouldn't be expecting too much quality from the inbuilt speaker.
I do think its a great idea, something the Wii did and now the PS5 and I was hoping Xbox would do the same. I hate wearing headsets, one reason I liked Kinect, could just chat through Kinect.

I will assume the PS5 wont come with a headset in the box since you will be getting the voice speaker via controllers. The PS4 wasn't going to include a headset either until last minute they threw in a cheaper Ear Plug alternative to XB1's 1 speaker Headset that was bundled. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 09 April 2020

Seems interesting.
Now that PS5 mockup that looks like XSX is a joke.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

This controller is starting to sound like a Swiss Army Knife.

Sounds good, never cared enough to invest in a headset so it's nice that this comes built into the system and opens it up to the whole community.

Also I know this is lame but I also look forward to the potential of voice recognition. Making it easier to search games (in library & in store), telling console to switch off and even in use in game use.