By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Witcher 3 Sales Breakdown

Tagged games:

Played and beat the entire game on both PS4 and Switch. Great game and well deserved success in my book.

Also great to see the Switch version with strong sales in just 2.5 months. When compared to how the game did on X1 during its first 3 months, it becomes clear that it launched just as strong on Switch. This is impressive considering the higher price tag and the fact that the game was 3 years old. It is good to see hard work and pro consumer practices, such as full game and dlc in physical release, pay off.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

It should be taken into account that in 2019 when the Switch version launched at full price, you could get the other versions for a fraction of the cost.

At any rate it's nice to see another third party success story on Switch, especially when it's such a well deserved one.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 April 2020

Echoing everyone talking about the Switch version of The Witcher 3.
Pleased with the support from the consumers interested in the game, considering it had basically everything in the cart, no compromises or need for extra downloads BS.
Its not a port I expect all the time, but the effort level when it comes to porting a game on Switch is what I expect. It's worked the same way with Dragon Quest XI S.

ironmanDX said:
Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be massive...

Maybe, or not.

We can't forget that, even thought CD Projekt Red has earned a well deserved reputation of making quality games, Cyberpunk will be a big departure from The Witcher. It has a completely different setting, a completely new combat system, with guns and not swords, and it's a first person game unlike Geralt's.

Sure, most people won't find any troubles with that, after all Bethesda has been making first person rol games for years with great success, but just because it works for them it means that it will work for CDPR.

It will. Witcher 3 is the 3rd game in the series. How often do we see such an explosion of sales at the end of a trilogy? How many of those that bought the Witcher 3 played 1 and 2... I didn't. I played 2 and 3. 

A new ip with their name attached? Cyberpunk has a chance to outsell Witcher 3. A good chance.

A completely different setting, a hyped developer... Has bungie/destiny written all over it.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out like Bungie/Destiny though... 😂

ironmanDX said:

Maybe, or not.

We can't forget that, even thought CD Projekt Red has earned a well deserved reputation of making quality games, Cyberpunk will be a big departure from The Witcher. It has a completely different setting, a completely new combat system, with guns and not swords, and it's a first person game unlike Geralt's.

Sure, most people won't find any troubles with that, after all Bethesda has been making first person rol games for years with great success, but just because it works for them it means that it will work for CDPR.

It will. Witcher 3 is the 3rd game in the series. How often do we see such an explosion of sales at the end of a trilogy? How many of those that bought the Witcher 3 played 1 and 2... I didn't. I played 2 and 3. 

A new ip with their name attached? Cyberpunk has a chance to outsell Witcher 3. A good chance.

A completely different setting, a hyped developer... Has bungie/destiny written all over it.

I hope it does, I really do, but over the years a lot of developers have said that starting a new IP is always difficult because they don't know if it will have success or not. And we have lots of examples of new IPs that failed despite coming from reputable developers (although most of the time, the game had flaws).

And yeah, I hope it doesn't end like Bungie/Destiny .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
ironmanDX said:

I hope it does, I really do, but over the years a lot of developers have said that starting a new IP is always difficult because they don't know if it will have success or not. And we have lots of examples of new IPs that failed despite coming from reputable developers (although most of the time, the game had flaws).

And yeah, I hope it doesn't end like Bungie/Destiny .

I don't know man, I think Keanu Reeves is a pretty strong IP.

Marth said:

And a sales breakdown by region:

This is the most surprising statistics out of the whole. A western game that strong in Asia? I am surprised and it shows you can get into asian markets, with the right games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Outstanding Switch sales. Likely over a million now.

I myself purchased the game in January.

Marth said:

CD Project published their report for 2019:

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/04/management-board-report-on-activities-of-cd-projekt-group-and-cd-projekt-s-a-in-2019.pdf

And in there you can find the sales numbers of the Witcher 3 split by Year and Platform:

Im not at all surprised that PS4 + PC make up the vast majority of its sales (xbox users didnt seem intrested in it).
Also not surprised most of its sales are in europe.
What surprised me was the Asia > US number.

JRPGfan said:
Marth said:

CD Project published their report for 2019:

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/04/management-board-report-on-activities-of-cd-projekt-group-and-cd-projekt-s-a-in-2019.pdf

And in there you can find the sales numbers of the Witcher 3 split by Year and Platform:

Im not at all surprised that PS4 + PC make up the vast majority of its sales (xbox users didnt seem intrested in it).
Also not surprised most of its sales are in europe.
What surprised me was the Asia > US number.

I wouldn’t say that, it’s more to do with generational market share. Xbox One sales legs are simply much less by default. Last gen WRPGs like Skyrim were most popular on Xbox 360. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.