By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Witcher 3 Sales Breakdown

Tagged games:

JEMC said:
ironmanDX said:

It will. Witcher 3 is the 3rd game in the series. How often do we see such an explosion of sales at the end of a trilogy? How many of those that bought the Witcher 3 played 1 and 2... I didn't. I played 2 and 3. 

A new ip with their name attached? Cyberpunk has a chance to outsell Witcher 3. A good chance.

A completely different setting, a hyped developer... Has bungie/destiny written all over it.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out like Bungie/Destiny though... 😂

I hope it does, I really do, but over the years a lot of developers have said that starting a new IP is always difficult because they don't know if it will have success or not. And we have lots of examples of new IPs that failed despite coming from reputable developers (although most of the time, the game had flaws).

And yeah, I hope it doesn't end like Bungie/Destiny .

The popularity of game of thrones probably also had a hand in boosting sales. Fantasy had a boost in general. The Netflix series provided a big boost.

Sci-fi, cyberpunk on the other hand, not all that popular. Game of Thrones is (or was) one of the most popular show on tv. Westworld 172nd with only 10% of the viewers of Game of Thrones. Altered Carbon is more cyberpunk, it's a good show imo, but ask anyone and they probably have never even heard of it.

Cyberpunk only has the benefit of being from the makers of The Witcher, it will sell, but I doubt it will come close to Witcher 3 numbers. What can boost it is if it's getting placed as GTA in the near future.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
JEMC said:

I hope it does, I really do, but over the years a lot of developers have said that starting a new IP is always difficult because they don't know if it will have success or not. And we have lots of examples of new IPs that failed despite coming from reputable developers (although most of the time, the game had flaws).

And yeah, I hope it doesn't end like Bungie/Destiny .

The popularity of game of thrones probably also had a hand in boosting sales. Fantasy had a boost in general. The Netflix series provided a big boost.

Sci-fi, cyberpunk on the other hand, not all that popular. Game of Thrones is (or was) one of the most popular show on tv. Westworld 172nd with only 10% of the viewers of Game of Thrones. Altered Carbon is more cyberpunk, it's a good show imo, but ask anyone and they probably have never even heard of it.

Cyberpunk only has the benefit of being from the makers of The Witcher, it will sell, but I doubt it will come close to Witcher 3 numbers. What can boost it is if it's getting placed as GTA in the near future.

Past cyberpunk or kind of dystopian games (Deus EX, Bioshock, Dishonored, etc) have done well but not great. It will be interesting to see if Cyberpunk 2077 can be a sounding success.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Do we know how much the Xbox One version sold in it's first 2.5 months?

I can't seem to find the old software charts.

You couldn't be more wrong. Market analytics's consensus for Cyberpunk is 20+ mln copies sold in 2020. It will surely hit 30 mln within 12 months from launch. Preorders are significantly higher than those of Witcher 3. Hype for the game itself is couple times bigger.

JRPGfan said:
Marth said:

CD Project published their report for 2019:

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/04/management-board-report-on-activities-of-cd-projekt-group-and-cd-projekt-s-a-in-2019.pdf

And in there you can find the sales numbers of the Witcher 3 split by Year and Platform:

And a sales breakdown by region:

Im not at all surprised that PS4 + PC make up the vast majority of its sales (xbox users didnt seem intrested in it).
Also not surprised most of its sales are in europe.
What surprised me was the Asia > US number.

It's the fact that the game was so huge in Asia, greatly skews the relative share of the PS4 vs Xbox. 27.9% of global sales were from Asia, which were most likely not from an Xbox. In the West the game resonated a lot with Xbox users. The title has generated a lot of interest from every platform userbase.

Around the Network

The big share of Asia is coming mostly from Steam sales (last 2 years saw big increase of China users).

It is nice to see a wildly successful game be something that deserves it for a change, for the last few years it seems like most hugely successful games have been exploitative trash.

For once, no shitty micro-transactions, no loot boxes, no forcing Switch owners to download half the game, just a superb single player adventure that treats players with respect.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 April 2020

PS4 10 million+ is big, especially compared to Xbox. Highlights how Playstation gets the lions share of third party sales. SW sales are mediocre, prob won't amount to much.

Asia being bigger than North America, that's very interesting.

America in general remain bigger than Asia but under Europe, yup wester RPG are really big in Europe.

Got them on steam sale but have yet to play. I know you can crucify me now. It's almost there on top of my backlist.