By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Witcher 3 Sales Breakdown

Tagged games:

Got legs. Only under Skyrim in its genre sales wise off the top of my head

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
Chicho said:

Digital only acounted for 29% in 2015 but 82% in 2019. The trend is clear.

PC only accounted for 31% in 2015 but 54% in 2018. The trend is clear.

SvennoJ said:
Chicho said:

PC only accounted for 31% in 2015 but 54% in 2018. The trend is clear.

2019 was 1% lower because of the inclusion of Switch all of the sudden. So the trend is actually way clearer. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I hope they're planning a remastered edition for next gen console to come out with the second season of the Netflix show. I'd be more than happy to pay $50 to play it again, especially with new achievements.

Those PC numbers are impressive!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I got the Witcher series on Steam, but never played it (like 90% of my Steam purchases, that’s why I stopped buying games on Steam unless I planned to play them immediately). But I paid only a trivial amount for it. It was next to free.

I also got the Switch version at full price. It would be much more interesting to see a value breakdown, how much money did they earn? I am willing to bet Nintendo’s cut will look much bigger with that kind of break down. Also, how much the budget for marketing and development on each platform (if they have that info, some accountant does).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Chicho said:

Or maybe the production of the physical copy of the game stopped or was greatly reduced after launch, leaving the digital copy as the only option.

ironmanDX said:
Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be massive...

Maybe, or not.

We can't forget that, even thought CD Projekt Red has earned a well deserved reputation of making quality games, Cyberpunk will be a big departure from The Witcher. It has a completely different setting, a completely new combat system, with guns and not swords, and it's a first person game unlike Geralt's.

Sure, most people won't find any troubles with that, after all Bethesda has been making first person rol games for years with great success, but just because it works for them it means that it will work for CDPR.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

First person can work well if there is a lot going on in the game. Like House of the Dead Overkill - which feels a lot like a 70s or early 80s action flick you’re interacting with.

But often I find they lose a sense of scale and feel very desolate and dreary, but not in a good way (like exploring an abandoned tower in Witcher 3), but in a bland and boring way.

Something about Doom and Quake made me find them to be about the most boring gaming experiences of the 1990s, but GE007 was one of the most thrilling of the decade. What did GE007 do differently? I’d say it was that lots of things were happening all the time, other than wandering mazes with weird monsters.

Why does first person work so well for Minecraft? I think a lot of that is because the star of the show is the creations in the sandbox.

In my opinion, Cybepunk will probably work because of all the stuff happening in the game. It doesn’t look like it has that empty brown, grey, and green desolation of games like Doom and Quake.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 09 April 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

JEMC said:
Chicho said:

Or maybe the production of the physical copy of the game stopped or was greatly reduced after launch, leaving the digital copy as the only option.

If you look at 2018, chances of people still buying physical pc copies are pretty much nil. The digital version on the PC is so much cheaper than any physical copy. Still $50 on Amazon, $15 for a GOG key. So it would break down to 43% physical vs 57% digital for console copies. A physical copy costs about $18 for PS4 on Amazon, $25 for XBox One, while on psn it's $40, $12 (currently 70% off) for XBox One. On console it's pretty much waiting for a sale to get the digital version, yet on PC, outside of Steam, the lower price is always there.

SvennoJ said:
JEMC said:

If you look at 2018, chances of people still buying physical pc copies are pretty much nil. The digital version on the PC is so much cheaper than any physical copy. Still $50 on Amazon, $15 for a GOG key. So it would break down to 43% physical vs 57% digital for console copies. A physical copy costs about $18 for PS4 on Amazon, $25 for XBox One, while on psn it's $40, $12 (currently 70% off) for XBox One. On console it's pretty much waiting for a sale to get the digital version, yet on PC, outside of Steam, the lower price is always there.

The physical market for PC games has been almost non existent for many, many years, so it's not surprising that digital sales dominate. It's on consoles that things have evolved, but it remains to be seen up to what extent.

Oh, and despite what I said, my trilogy of The Witcher games are all physical.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.