By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Hiku said:
Metallox said:

A better company than Square Enix could have done it better. No cuts, single release, no compromises in visual quality; everything as it should've been from the start.  

No, that's pretty unrealistic.

In 1997 they created a world far beyond the scale of what was even possible back then in real time, by using pre-rendered backgrounds.
Imagine what Midgar would have looked like back then without pre rendered backgrounds. It would look nothing like the one we know, and Playstation wouldn't even have been capable of loading up a proper view of it. That iconic intro FMV that zooms out of Midgar? Wouldn't even exist.
It takes them many many times longer to create the same things today in real time even in graphics that are far less impressive than the ones they're utilizing.

They created an open world/map with miniature city scales where the characters were as big as the cities.
That won't fly today. Midgar and every other city or landmark has to be in a 1:1 scale on the world map.

Good luck getting that to load properly on a PS4 while you're soaring the skies on the Highwind.
I doubt that's even going to be possible on PS5 without trickery. (Lower resolution textures and framerates for many objects, etc.)

Invisible enemies? That won't fly either.

And so on.
Just because a game was possible in 97 does not mean it's plausible today. And FF7 is an example of a game that made use of shortcuts to extend the scope of the game to epic proportions.

I don't buy it, I'm sorry. It's a video game, not an unsolved physics problem. 

But then again, after watching a good portion of the game, it's become clear to me why they decided to divide the game in portions. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:
Hiku said:

No, that's pretty unrealistic.

In 1997 they created a world far beyond the scale of what was even possible back then in real time, by using pre-rendered backgrounds.
Imagine what Midgar would have looked like back then without pre rendered backgrounds. It would look nothing like the one we know, and Playstation wouldn't even have been capable of loading up a proper view of it. That iconic intro FMV that zooms out of Midgar? Wouldn't even exist.
It takes them many many times longer to create the same things today in real time even in graphics that are far less impressive than the ones they're utilizing.

They created an open world/map with miniature city scales where the characters were as big as the cities.
That won't fly today. Midgar and every other city or landmark has to be in a 1:1 scale on the world map.

Good luck getting that to load properly on a PS4 while you're soaring the skies on the Highwind.
I doubt that's even going to be possible on PS5 without trickery. (Lower resolution textures and framerates for many objects, etc.)

Invisible enemies? That won't fly either.

And so on.
Just because a game was possible in 97 does not mean it's plausible today. And FF7 is an example of a game that made use of shortcuts to extend the scope of the game to epic proportions.

But then again, after watching a good portion of the game, it's become clear to me why they decided to divide the game in portions. 

You must have never taken a programming class. 

Lower than I expected. It will still sell like hot cakes and sell loads of candy bars and energy drinks for that DLC.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Metallox said:

I'm not sure what programming as a whole, or a basic programming class for that matter, says about not being able to adapt an overambitious 1997 game to the modern tastes and preferences. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Well, not bad, but disappointing for a remake of an all-time classic. 87 for now, but based on how metacritic is more often than not front-loaded, that could easily drop to 86 or lower within the next week or two. People can say that's an improvement on FFXV (if you ignore the far more complete Windows Edition which scored 85), but I'd argue the jump from 81 to 86/87, is not as significant as the jump from 86/87 to 91+, based on the amount of perfect reviews and unanimous acclaim it requires.

Now we try comparing it to other remakes of classics, like Resident Evil 2 or Shadow of the Colossus which both scored 91; or in just a couple months Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition which is another JRPG that will likely score deep in the 90s, and while it won't have the production value it will have 3-5x the content for the same price. Then if we branch outside of JRPGs to RPGs in general, Cyberpunk 2077 releases this year, will have similar production value, and will also have 2-3x the content, not including the inherent replay value with it's character creation and choices.

So far, I haven't seen much to argue against the view that they should've lowered expectations by selling it cheaper (maybe US$40). I'm also seeing a lot of frustration and confusion about whether we'll be waiting 6 years for the next installment, whether it'll take until the PS6 to finish the story, whether progress will transfer over between games. But this is the kind of screwing around we should honestly expect from Squeenix by now, especially when Nomura is at the helm of anything.

Overall, still pretty good if not great, but not ideal. For anyone trying to ask people how they would've handled this project, I'd remind you that it's not our job to create their games, and that no one asked them to split it into parts in the first place. If Square and Nomura are gonna keep coming up with these grand ideas which require an inordinate amount of dev time and ridiculously bloated budgets, they're the ones that actually have to justify it at some point. If they could actually deliver on the expectations they keep setting for themselves, people wouldn't have to keep coming to their defense every time they release one of these games.

Anyway, that's about all I can say until I actually get to play the game. Score is about where I thought it'd be, which is also about the bare minimum for me to lean towards buying a digital copy, as opposed to waiting a couple weeks in hopes that we'll be out of lockdown at the earliest possible time. So I'm honestly still on the fence right now, and the price is my biggest issue.

Around the Network

The Kingdom's hearts fucking garbage turned me off this game entirely. I thought about getting it down the road when all eps were out but knowing what I know now. I further hate Nomura and I was never a fan of his. He sure did find a way to fuck this story up.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That's a good score so far. I'm still going to wait until all three eisodes are out, whenever this may be.

Overall a really good score. Wonder how everything turns out with the other episodes.

Metallox said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I'm not sure what programming as a whole, or a basic programming class for that matter, says about not being able to adapt an overambitious 1997 game to the modern tastes and preferences. 

To be fair, you have to have a very good grasp of quantum physics to understand Final Fantasy 7, let alone the remake. 

deskpro2k3 said:
SammyGiireal said:

If those spoilers are true, then it is worst than anything I could have ever imagined in terms of ruining the cannon of the OG game.

It's definitely not a remaster. Good thing it says It's Remake on the box. I mean I'm ok with changes, it gives a fresh new experience, but to each their own I guess.

A remake could change the graphic, the art style, the gameplay system and the control, but still keep the main plot. This game don't do that, it's a reboot.