By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Leynos said:
The Kingdom's hearts fucking garbage turned me off this game entirely. I thought about getting it down the road when all eps were out but knowing what I know now. I further hate Nomura and I was never a fan of his. He sure did find a way to fuck this story up.

Having watched the ending, I don't necessarily mind what they did... but the marketing behind it is kind of horrid.  

It seems like they want to do something waaaaaay different with the story... and again, that's not inherently a bad thing, but a lot of fans are buying this specifically because they want a faithful adaptation of the original, and it looks like that's not what they intend on doing... and a lot of fans won't find that out until 60 dollars and 30 hours later.

Around the Network

I'm a slight bit bummed about the reviews I'm reading so far.

While it sucks to know that we won't get to enjoy the full story for some time, it's something we've known for awhile, and I've come to terms with it. I can't hold out on playing this until the other games are released; I don't have the discipline.

Today I looked at reviews for the first time, and my reaction was negative (like most people here, despite some maybe suppressing this feeling in the interests of making the hype lead to a better personal experience). But it isn't only the scores, but the reviews themselves. I play games thoroughly and try to complete most all side content, but apparently the sidequests in this game are mostly filler quests that aren't integrated into the main story.

Polygon:

"Side quests in Remake are awkwardly cordoned off from the rest of the game. At a few points, typically upon arriving in a new town, you’ll have an opportunity to stop progressing the main story for a while and run around doing errands for people, but that opportunity closes the moment you decide to resume the central quest. This format prevents the quests from feeling like an organic, integrated aspect of the world and the lives of its people.

And the content just isn’t very interesting. You might have to find cats in different spots around the slums, or do a generic go-here-and-kill-the-monsters quest for a generic NPC. They’re filler, in other words, and not particularly enjoyable or inventive filler."

I tend to be a lot more negative when I post late at night, so maybe I will feel different about this tomorrow. I'm still looking forward to playing the game, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be as epic as I was hoping.

Edit: I'm also upset because one of my joy-cons started drifting and Nintendo's support is closed until further notice.

Last edited by RaptorChrist - on 07 April 2020

Immersiveunreality said:
thismeintiel said:

This is NOT a remake.  This is a sequel (a lazy one) being advertised as a remake so more buy it.  A remake is what SE promised people.  A remake is what SE has been advertising this whole time.  New game mechanics.  New graphics and camera.  The story is to remain mainly the same, with a few additions to flesh it out. Again, this is what SE has been advertising it as for YEARS, now.  They lied to sell some crappy story about

Spoiler!
time travel and/or alternate dimensions.

It's not what you want from a remake but it remains a remake.

What i saw and heard from the reviews is what i expected from the information we got over the years by square enix.

This is a reboot.

DonFerrari said:
thismeintiel said:

I think you mean Aerith, but who knows, Tifa may be the one to die in this one.  Like I said, this is not a remake.  It's not following the same story.

I guess in your eyes Terminator: Genisys was a remake, just because it retreads some familiar scenes from the first film.  As someone said above, this is closer to a reboot like Genisys than a remake, like, say, the latest Little Women.  Anyone who is thinking that the main plot points will remain the same from the OG FF7 needs to look into spoilers before they plop down $70, like I was going to for the Deluxe Edition.

You said sequel.

A remake can and usually is a retelling, things are different, if not it would be a remaster.

You may not like this game or the whole story/game, but that doesn`t change it to not being a remake.

Wait for the whole thing to be concluded if you wish and then after full evaluation of what happens you can make your decision if it is good or bad.

Look at all other remakes so far, all the major plots with characters are still remained, this is a reboot.

Immersiveunreality said:
thismeintiel said:

I think you mean Aerith, but who knows, Tifa may be the one to die in this one.  Like I said, this is not a remake.  It's not following the same story.

I guess in your eyes Terminator: Genisys was a remake, just because it retreads some familiar scenes from the first film.  As someone said above, this is closer to a reboot like Genisys than a remake, like, say, the latest Little Women.  Anyone who is thinking that the main plot points will remain the same from the OG FF7 needs to look into spoilers before they plop down $70, like I was going to for the Deluxe Edition.

First bolded:No not at all.

Second:Most of the main plot points are still intact while it is also a retreading of the same scenes + extras.

Most, not all. Changing some major plot points mean this is a reboot, not remake.

DonFerrari said:
thismeintiel said:

And Terminator: Geniys is also a sequel.  This game is the same thing.  It is not a remake of FF7. 

Spoiler!
It is about going back in time to change the story of FF7.  With Ghost of Fate not succeeding in getting the story back to how it was originally supposed to play out.  I mean you fight Sephiroth as the One-Winged Angel at the end of this game for Christ's sake.

This game isn`t a sequel and I won`t read spoilers.

Of course, it isn't a sequel, more like an alternative story of the original FFVII, basically, a reboot.

Here is the ending scene, look like some changes of the main plot again:

JWeinCom said:
Leynos said:
The Kingdom's hearts fucking garbage turned me off this game entirely. I thought about getting it down the road when all eps were out but knowing what I know now. I further hate Nomura and I was never a fan of his. He sure did find a way to fuck this story up.

Having watched the ending, I don't necessarily mind what they did... but the marketing behind it is kind of horrid.  

It seems like they want to do something waaaaaay different with the story... and again, that's not inherently a bad thing, but a lot of fans are buying this specifically because they want a faithful adaptation of the original, and it looks like that's not what they intend on doing... and a lot of fans won't find that out until 60 dollars and 30 hours later.

It feels like they went Terminator Genisys with the story. It seems like they also took Kingdom Hearts X FFXV put them in a blender and added a FF7 skin. I hate KH and FFXV. I figured they would maybe expand on the old game like the demo showed.  The old game modernized and like you say. That's what was advertised, that's not what was delivered. Metascores mean little to me. FFXIII and XV got good reviews and both are awful games. Now I won't ask for an FFIX remake unless Sakaguchi was contracted to direct it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I think the biggest problem is not that they changed the story. The problem is that changed the story while at the same time advertised this to be a remake of the original game. People expect to revive the original story with this one (with additions and some changes that expands and/or gives more context, but overall the same story they remember)... But at the very end of the game, they will find out that's not the case.

Let's bring up Terminator again. Genisys was promoted from the beginning to be a reboot of the original. The starting point would be an identical remake from T1 (with some added scenes from the future), but at certain point, the story would change. You may not like the direction, but at the very least, Paramount was honest about what they were doing.

Final Fantasy VII Remake on the other hand, is sold on nostalgia for a story many worship and adore. And they won't tell you that's not what you are getting until the end of the first chapter of a 60 dolar, 35 hours long game with an undetermined number of future chapters on an undetermined number of consoles. That's... lying. And that pisses people off.

I don't know guys... It was as easy as being honest from the beginning. "Hey guys, we are doing a reimagining of the FF VII story. Be ready for a surprising yet thrilling experience were nothing is what it seems". That... Or you know... Make an actual remake. Either way, don't trick people into buying something they might not actually want.

The only REMAKE of an old RPG Square is releasing this year and month is Trials Of Mana.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

HoangNhatAnh said:
deskpro2k3 said:

It's definitely not a remaster. Good thing it says It's Remake on the box. I mean I'm ok with changes, it gives a fresh new experience, but to each their own I guess.

A remake could change the graphic, the art style, the gameplay system and the control, but still keep the main plot. This game don't do that, it's a reboot. 

What you just described is a remaster. FF7HD is currently out right now on steam, ps4, and switch.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 07 April 2020

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Vodacixi said:

I think the biggest problem is not that they changed the story. The problem is that changed the story while at the same time advertised this to be a remake of the original game. People expect to revive the original story with this one (with additions and some changes that expands and/or gives more context, but overall the same story they remember)... But at the very end of the game, they will find out that's not the case.

Let's bring up Terminator again. Genisys was promoted from the beginning to be a reboot of the original. The starting point would be an identical remake from T1 (with some added scenes from the future), but at certain point, the story would change. You may not like the direction, but at the very least, Paramount was honest about what they were doing.

Final Fantasy VII Remake on the other hand, is sold on nostalgia for a story many worship and adore. And they won't tell you that's not what you are getting until the end of the first chapter of a 60 dolar, 35 hours long game with an undetermined number of future chapters on an undetermined number of consoles. That's... lying. And that pisses people off.

I don't know guys... It was as easy as being honest from the beginning. "Hey guys, we are doing a reimagining of the FF VII story. Be ready for a surprising yet thrilling experience were nothing is what it seems". That... Or you know... Make an actual remake. Either way, don't trick people into buying something they might not actually want.

I think the biggest problem is certain fans. You got a group that want turn base, a group that wants only shinier graphics, a group that wants Advent Children VOs, and group that still thinks it's a episodic game, but I think it's going to be ok.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

I think the biggest problem is certain fans. You got a group that want turn base, a group that wants only shinier graphics, a group that wants Advent Children VOs, and group that still thinks it's a episodic game, but I think it's going to be ok.

What does a like/dislike ratio of a trailer before the game launch has to do with people maybe being disapointed once they reach the end of the game and find out that it was not what they signed for?