By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I think the biggest problem is certain fans. You got a group that want turn base, a group that wants only shinier graphics, a group that wants Advent Children VOs, and group that still thinks it's a episodic game, but I think it's going to be ok.

What does a like/dislike ratio of a trailer before the game launch has to do with people maybe being disapointed once they reach the end of the game and find out that it was not what they signed for?

The trailer doesn't show you how different the game is?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

What does a like/dislike ratio of a trailer before the game launch has to do with people maybe being disapointed once they reach the end of the game and find out that it was not what they signed for?

Have you read the ending spoilers?

no but a trailer shows the whole game obviously, remember the killzone trailer

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Answer my question. Does the final trailer not show you how different the game is? I knew how different it was before reading the spoilers because of that Trailer. And if I can see that many others can too.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 07 April 2020

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Huh, thought for sure it get 90+.

Anybody care to explain the cons that are bringing down the average?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

Answer my question. Does the final trailer not show you how different the game is? I knew how different it was before reading the spoilers because of that Trailer. And if I can see that many others can too.

What that trailer shows is not even close to the point blank shot many people will get after playing the game. The trailer shows some new stuff and changes from the original, yes. But it doesn't imply that the story is gonna be rebooted and the original FF VII plot is gonna be discarded. 

What the trailer shows is what many remakes do. Samus Returns is a completely different game than Metroid II: Return of Samus. Even the ending has some major changes. And you can see some of it in the trailers. But those changes only add to the original story. Samus Returns, despite the new stuff, is still Metroid II. Not like FF VII Remake, in which said additions and changes actually make the original story irrelevant, because instead of adding up, it replaces it.

Nothing in the trailer confirms something like that happening. It teases some new stuff going on, but how that will actually play out is impossible to know. Until you play the game.

sales2099 said:
Huh, thought for sure it get 90+.

Anybody care to explain the cons that are bringing down the average?

Apparently, the expansion of Midgard to make up for the 30+ hour game duration is not very well done. The side quests are boring, generic, uninspired... And you can only do them before starting the main story chapter (yes, the game is divided in chapters). Once you start the main story, you cannot acces to the side missions anymore.

Also, the ending has divided critics and players because Nomura has pulled some bullshit out of his ass to somehow transform the remake into a reboot of the original story.

There are also some inconsistencies about the graphics. Some places have quite low quality textures that deeply contrast with an otherwise great looking game.

Lol at those 60-70s, just attention seekers

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Lol at those 60-70s, just attention seekers

What would you give it?

deskpro2k3 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

A remake could change the graphic, the art style, the gameplay system and the control, but still keep the main plot. This game don't do that, it's a reboot. 

What you just described is a remaster. FF7HD is currently out right now on steam, ps4, and switch.

I think you misread his comment. He said that they can change graphics, gameplay etc but that the core story should be kept mostly the same.