By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Hynad said:
Runa216 said:

In 50 years, gaming historians are gonna look back and be glad the bloodline of those who love FFXIII all died out between 2020 and 2025.

(In case it wasn't clear, I say this in jest. Still, I don't understand people who like that game)

You don’t understand anyone who like something you don’t.

At your age, I would think you would at least grasp the notion of differing tastes and "to each their own".

But that's just it, as I grow up I get to the point where I fully expect a person to justify their beliefs if their opinions are bad. FFXIII is an objectively bad game, giving the player next to no agency whatsoever with boring combat, a poorly exposited world, and bland characters. There's more depth of character in Jesse in the first hour of FFVII Remake than there is in Lightning throughout all three FFXIII games put together. And the world is fleshed out without...

nevermind, I get it. You don't like being criticized. you don't like someone hating something you like. I actually am far more likely to be lenient with pretty much any other game or movie, but this one is bad bad bad. FFXIII is bad. There are virtually no redeeming factors about it aside from how it looks and sounds pretty. 

I hated GTAIV with a passion, but it's not a bad game. I just don't like it. 

I think Ocarina of Time is the most overrated game of all time, but it's still a fantastic game and a major leap forward in the medium as a whole. 

I still don't understand the hype for Halo, a generic FPS that feels sterile and artificial, but like OOT it has its place in history as the progenitor of good FPS on consoles and was a very well made game. 

There are plenty of games that are good or great that I don't like. I can criticise them, but they have value; I can see and respect opinions that aren't mine all the time, but FFXIII is bad. It didn't hurt me personally, it's just bad. People are allowed to like bad (The transformers movies are bad but I love them), but it's still bad. You need to stop equating my criticism and hatred as some close-minded and blind zealotry. I put a LOT of thought into my hatred of that game and I put a LOT of time into trying to like it because FFIV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, and Tactics are among my favourite games of all time (VI being my single fave.) I wanted to like the game, I finished it and its sequel in the hopes that maybe I'd find something good about it because I generally don't like being negative, but it's just bad. 

FFXIII is a bad game, and at this point I'm convinced there will be no convincing me otherwise. I've been investigating and reading and trying to find value in it, but after 11 years nobody has offered a compelling reason to me. People keep saying that the battle system is similar to 12, but that's just objectively, fundamentally wrong. People say the characters are just as good as other FF games, but that's just objectively, fundamentally wrong. They say the world is well developed, and while that is correct, the way it's presented (90% of the story hidden away in an in-game encyclopedia) is objectively, universally agreed to be a poor way of conveying story in a JRPG. It works in Dark Souls because Dark Souls is a fundamentally different game, and yes the genre matters in this regard. What works in one game might not work in another, and this is a perfect example. 

Hell, I loved FFXV, but the last stretch of that game was an arduous, frustrating slog with terrible writing. However, the basic, core gameplay loop and the character development between the main four was stellar. The world, while a little confusing, felt fleshed out and lived-in. the gameplay was linear in terms of plot but open in terms of world. Balance. Fun. FFXV gets away with its terrible late-game writing because the rest of the game works. FFXIII is just one long, linear corridor with little room for exploration or character depth and all the backstory/plot hidden away in the datalogs. 

FFXIII was a bad game with no redeemable qualities from a gameplay, or story perspective. I tried to like it but it was bad. Your statement that "You don’t understand anyone who like something you don’t" is wrong. I understand plenty, just not this one particular example because in all my time writing, gaming, and in school for creative positions, everything told me that everything about FFXIII is just fundamentally wrong. it's not fun, it's not engaging, it doesn't give the player any agency, and the combat mechanics/progression are both linear and restrictive to a fault. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

Just finished Chapter 4 and now that I've got a better handle on the battle system, I'm really digging it. The side missions that involve fighting and learning the game's systems are really enjoyable. The finding cats one was okay, at least they made them easy to find. What I'm not digging is the spooky ghosts bullshit, but I can ignore it for now.

You say that, but...no, not really. I personally love where the game is going with them, but you definitely cannot ignore them.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The more I think about the...

Spoiler!
Arbiters of Fate

the worse it gets. They basically ammount to...

Spoiler!
living, breathing, in-universe Deus Ex Machina devices

that can be used whenever the writers see fit.

I mean, that's quite literally what the entire point of their presence is, if we're leaning on the fourth wall here.

Now imagine that stuff dropping in a book, movie, series etc. that you have ever watched and greatly enjoyed, to the same effect. I think you can see how quickly things could get obnoxious.

Runa216 said:
Hynad said:

You don’t understand anyone who like something you don’t.

At your age, I would think you would at least grasp the notion of differing tastes and "to each their own".

But that's just it, as I grow up I get to the point where I fully expect a person to justify their beliefs if their opinions are bad. FFXIII is an objectively bad game, giving the player next to no agency whatsoever with boring combat, a poorly exposited world, and bland characters. There's more depth of character in Jesse in the first hour of FFVII Remake than there is in Lightning throughout all three FFXIII games put together. And the world is fleshed out without...

nevermind, I get it. You don't like being criticized. you don't like someone hating something you like. I actually am far more likely to be lenient with pretty much any other game or movie, but this one is bad bad bad. FFXIII is bad. There are virtually no redeeming factors about it aside from how it looks and sounds pretty. 

I hated GTAIV with a passion, but it's not a bad game. I just don't like it. 

I think Ocarina of Time is the most overrated game of all time, but it's still a fantastic game and a major leap forward in the medium as a whole. 

I still don't understand the hype for Halo, a generic FPS that feels sterile and artificial, but like OOT it has its place in history as the progenitor of good FPS on consoles and was a very well made game. 

There are plenty of games that are good or great that I don't like. I can criticise them, but they have value; I can see and respect opinions that aren't mine all the time, but FFXIII is bad. It didn't hurt me personally, it's just bad. People are allowed to like bad (The transformers movies are bad but I love them), but it's still bad. You need to stop equating my criticism and hatred as some close-minded and blind zealotry. I put a LOT of thought into my hatred of that game and I put a LOT of time into trying to like it because FFIV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, and Tactics are among my favourite games of all time (VI being my single fave.) I wanted to like the game, I finished it and its sequel in the hopes that maybe I'd find something good about it because I generally don't like being negative, but it's just bad. 

FFXIII is a bad game, and at this point I'm convinced there will be no convincing me otherwise. I've been investigating and reading and trying to find value in it, but after 11 years nobody has offered a compelling reason to me. People keep saying that the battle system is similar to 12, but that's just objectively, fundamentally wrong. People say the characters are just as good as other FF games, but that's just objectively, fundamentally wrong. They say the world is well developed, and while that is correct, the way it's presented (90% of the story hidden away in an in-game encyclopedia) is objectively, universally agreed to be a poor way of conveying story in a JRPG. It works in Dark Souls because Dark Souls is a fundamentally different game, and yes the genre matters in this regard. What works in one game might not work in another, and this is a perfect example. 

Hell, I loved FFXV, but the last stretch of that game was an arduous, frustrating slog with terrible writing. However, the basic, core gameplay loop and the character development between the main four was stellar. The world, while a little confusing, felt fleshed out and lived-in. the gameplay was linear in terms of plot but open in terms of world. Balance. Fun. FFXV gets away with its terrible late-game writing because the rest of the game works. FFXIII is just one long, linear corridor with little room for exploration or character depth and all the backstory/plot hidden away in the datalogs. 

FFXIII was a bad game with no redeemable qualities from a gameplay, or story perspective. I tried to like it but it was bad. Your statement that "You don’t understand anyone who like something you don’t" is wrong. I understand plenty, just not this one particular example because in all my time writing, gaming, and in school for creative positions, everything told me that everything about FFXIII is just fundamentally wrong. it's not fun, it's not engaging, it doesn't give the player any agency, and the combat mechanics/progression are both linear and restrictive to a fault. 

I stopped reading at the bolded part.

Because no, you obviously don’t get it.

I don’t like FF XIII either. But I understand that people don’t need to go on and on and on about explaining themselves the way you do it for FF XIII, as if your opinion is the only possible valid one. Like seriously, let it go dude. It’s really borderline pathologic how much you dislike this game.

There’s nothing objective in saying this game is bad. But you’re so convinced nobody can enjoy and appreciate something you don’t that you try to validate your view on the game as an objective truth.

Your opinion may be right for some, but obviously, the people who enjoy it and think it is a good game are no more right or wrong than you are here.

So, again, mature up a little. People will enjoy things you don’t and they’re no more objectively right or wrong than you are.

haxxiy said:

The more I think about the...

Spoiler!
Arbiters of Fate

the worse it gets. They basically ammount to...

Spoiler!
living, breathing, in-universe Deus Ex Machina devices

that can be used whenever the writers see fit.

I mean, that's quite literally what the entire point of their presence is, if we're leaning on the fourth wall here.

Now imagine that stuff dropping in a book, movie, series etc. that you have ever watched and greatly enjoyed, to the same effect. I think you can see how quickly things could get obnoxious.

It's best just to see the game as a reboot and that it's a new game that goes its own route end of the day whatever anyone's opinion is on the direction they've chosen it's still great fun to play which hopefully remains consistent in future games even if the writing become more questionable.

Around the Network

got a backlog of games sitting home i have't started... haven't even started kh3. But i have to say, playing through my first sitting of ff7 last year, it was great. But i couldn't believe some of the heartless /funny dialogue in the midgar part. Like they killed all those people from the explosion at the beggining and their responses were like shocking lol. Like what the hell were the writers thinking then lol. Oh and hopefully ff7 remake is great, cause ff15 was a letdown. The game ended when to me, it felt like i was only a third of the way through, and i'm like, that's it??" .. 

DonFerrari said:
Immersiveunreality said:

That is a flaw in your thinking,everything has not been reset but only adjusted as it greatly uses the same main storypaths of the original and reboots that on themselves are also remakes which is also a flaw in your logic do not do that.

But still by default this is a remake,as a reboot is a remake but it is not even the reboot you are thinking about cause you calculate some new elements in it a bit too weighty.

Come one do you think they lied with intent to consumers over something so obvious about a product that they consider one to bring people back to the franchise?

Not to forget that this is at least a trilogy and a company that want to stay on the market so lying and deceiving customers isn't how they would plan to make this a success.

But will it really be a trilogy? Sorry I dont know if they stated it at some point. The fact they didnt advertise it as pt1 or something like that makes me wonder if it is set in stone that square will deliver the rest of the game, whatever thay rest may be. What if it does not sell as expected? Im curious, lets see what is going to happen.

EnricoPallazzo said:
DonFerrari said:

Not to forget that this is at least a trilogy and a company that want to stay on the market so lying and deceiving customers isn't how they would plan to make this a success.

But will it really be a trilogy? Sorry I dont know if they stated it at some point. The fact they didnt advertise it as pt1 or something like that makes me wonder if it is set in stone that square will deliver the rest of the game, whatever thay rest may be. What if it does not sell as expected? Im curious, lets see what is going to happen.

They advertised it as covering the Midgar part of the story. It’s even written on the game’s back cover.

And Square-Enix has confirmed they are already working on the second part.

Only buyers can rate.

I looked at other games, and even Doom Eternal was 4.5 stars.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 12 April 2020

Hynad said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

They advertised it as covering the Midgar part of the story. It’s even written on the game’s back cover.

And Square-Enix has confirmed they are already working on the second part.

Thank you. I didnt know. I get the feeling the next game won't be FF7 Remake part two, but instead like FF7 (insert title here) because the remake part is only pt1 I thin, since the next parts will probably have a very different plot. So in this sens,e the only portion that was "remade" was the Midgar portion.