By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Vodacixi said:
Immersiveunreality said:

What they do is not resetting,they use the same chronology and they build upon it and make a few tweaks,a reboot completely deletes the path of the original chronology and makes a new.

By definition this is a remake, but you just seem to pick up whatever suits your opinion.

They have reseted the timeline and the original course of events in the first act of the Final Fantasy VII Remake project. Whathever happens from here on out, it will be completely different from the original game.

It's like Terminator Genisys. It starts with the same story as The Terminator from 1984, they even shot some scenes 1:1... Until time travel and paralel universes kick in the first act of the movie. Then the second and third act are completely different from The Terminator... Because the story has been restarted. Rings a bell?

This is the exact same situation we are dealing with in FF VII Remake. The chronology, the plot, the course of events (future and past), who lives and dies... Everything has been reset. Final Fantasy VII as we know it has been rebooted. It's not a remake. It's a reboot.

Now you'll say: "But you don't know how the future parts will be. Maybe the story will still be close enough to the original game". And to that I say that, taking the spoilers into account, it's impossible that the story of the future parts of FF VII Remake will be consistent with the original chronology and plot. Because, again, the plot has been rebooted. They can't go back anymore. The future of FF VII story is uncertain and impossible to predict. Because it will be completely new. And I haven't heard of any remake in which you go almost blind even if you played the original. Reboots behave like that.

Square Enix lied about what they tried to sell. Some are upset about not getting what was promised. Some like what they got and don't care about the lie. But however each one of us take this situation, a lie is still a lie.

That is a flaw in your thinking,everything has not been reset but only adjusted as it greatly uses the same main storypaths of the original and reboots that on themselves are also remakes which is also a flaw in your logic do not do that.

But still by default this is a remake,as a reboot is a remake but it is not even the reboot you are thinking about cause you calculate some new elements in it a bit too weighty.

Come one do you think they lied with intent to consumers over something so obvious about a product that they consider one to bring people back to the franchise?

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
Every reimagining is a remake but not every remake is a reimagining. "Remake" just sounds nicer and is easier to market than "Reimagining".

I don't necessarily like how Square is handling the story, but they're not misleading anyone; reimaginings are technically remakes by default.

Indeed, the term remake is a wide umbrella that envelopes many other terms that mean the same thing with mild tweaks.

Immersiveunreality said:
Vodacixi said:

They have reseted the timeline and the original course of events in the first act of the Final Fantasy VII Remake project. Whathever happens from here on out, it will be completely different from the original game.

It's like Terminator Genisys. It starts with the same story as The Terminator from 1984, they even shot some scenes 1:1... Until time travel and paralel universes kick in the first act of the movie. Then the second and third act are completely different from The Terminator... Because the story has been restarted. Rings a bell?

This is the exact same situation we are dealing with in FF VII Remake. The chronology, the plot, the course of events (future and past), who lives and dies... Everything has been reset. Final Fantasy VII as we know it has been rebooted. It's not a remake. It's a reboot.

Now you'll say: "But you don't know how the future parts will be. Maybe the story will still be close enough to the original game". And to that I say that, taking the spoilers into account, it's impossible that the story of the future parts of FF VII Remake will be consistent with the original chronology and plot. Because, again, the plot has been rebooted. They can't go back anymore. The future of FF VII story is uncertain and impossible to predict. Because it will be completely new. And I haven't heard of any remake in which you go almost blind even if you played the original. Reboots behave like that.

Square Enix lied about what they tried to sell. Some are upset about not getting what was promised. Some like what they got and don't care about the lie. But however each one of us take this situation, a lie is still a lie.

That is a flaw in your thinking,everything has not been reset but only adjusted as it greatly uses the same main storypaths of the original and reboots that on themselves are also remakes which is also a flaw in your logic do not do that.

But still by default this is a remake,as a reboot is a remake but it is not even the reboot you are thinking about cause you calculate some new elements in it a bit too weighty.

Come one do you think they lied with intent to consumers over something so obvious about a product that they consider one to bring people back to the franchise?

Not to forget that this is at least a trilogy and a company that want to stay on the market so lying and deceiving customers isn't how they would plan to make this a success.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Immersiveunreality said:
Vodacixi said:

No, that's just not the case.  A reboot is not necessarily a remake.  A reboot restarts a franchise.  A remake is a new version of a particular game.  A game can be a reboot without being a remake or vice versa.

For example, Tomb Raider 2013 is a reboot.  It is intended to serve as a starting point for a new version of the Tomb Raider franchise.  Yet it has never been referred to as a remake, because it is not a remake.  It is not using any specific Tomb Raider game as its base, it is telling a completely original story, and its gameplay/visuals/environments/settings etc. are not from any particular game.  If Tomb Raider is a remake of a past game, what is it a remake of?

DonFerrari said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Not to forget that this is at least a trilogy and a company that want to stay on the market so lying and deceiving customers isn't how they would plan to make this a success.

Yeah... because developers have never misled consumers before... :-/  Inconceivable.

Is it weird that I am more open to this game now that I know they "might" take it in a different direction?  I mean, I doubt I will play it until the second installment is released, but I will be more at peace if it goes in a radically new direction.  I probably won't play it if the story stays 95% the same but with extra details and a few tweaks to the main plot.

To me, what infuriated me the most was the thought that a new and inferior "definitive edition" was going to replace the original game.  If they go in a radically new direction, then it won't be seen as a replacement of the original.  I remember when Donkey Kong Country was originally released, I was kind of pissed, but eventually I realized the game in no way replaces the arcade original.  In fact it kind of winks and pays homage to the original Donkey Kong.  On the other hand I really hate it whenever someone says Zero Mission is better than the original Metroid.  I feel the original is better, but the two games are just similar enough that people see Zero Mission as replacing the O.G. Metroid.

Basically, if the story for this FF7 Remake trilogy goes in a radically new direction, then I'll see it as paying homage to the original game.  But if it ends up being fairly similar then this game will be seen as a replacement of the original and that will piss me off.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Is it weird that I am more open to this game now that I know they "might" take it in a different direction?  I mean, I doubt I will play it until the second installment is released, but I will be more at peace if it goes in a radically new direction.  I probably won't play it if the story stays 95% the same but with extra details and a few tweaks to the main plot.

To me, what infuriated me the most was the thought that a new and inferior "definitive edition" was going to replace the original game.  If they go in a radically new direction, then it won't be seen as a replacement of the original.  I remember when Donkey Kong Country was originally released, I was kind of pissed, but eventually I realized the game in no way replaces the arcade original.  In fact it kind of winks and pays homage to the original Donkey Kong.  On the other hand I really hate it whenever someone says Zero Mission is better than the original Metroid.  I feel the original is better, but the two games are just similar enough that people see Zero Mission as replacing the O.G. Metroid.

Basically, if the story for this FF7 Remake trilogy goes in a radically new direction, then I'll see it as paying homage to the original game.  But if it ends up being fairly similar then this game will be seen as a replacement of the original and that will piss me off.

That is a different but valid way to look at it. For me as long as the content is good I even think changing some points is good. Like Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya) For me there is only the original manga and anime adaptation+OVAs, with the new one and that "live action" being alternative realities that I watched purely for the entertainment. If it was the same story, chapter count and graphics I would also really like it, but mostly it would be pointless because even though the animation is simple it is pleasing enough to see. FFVII case though I can't really look and like the original look (FFIX I can though).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Not really weird.  Different people like different things. 

I already put 6 hours in and I am loving it so far. After FF 15 and KH3 I was sceptical about the Remake, but it is great. I am loving every bit of it.

It's so good, loving every second thus far!

Game is not perfect but still the first good mainline FF in like 15+ years. Made me forget shit games like FF 13 AND 15 exist.