By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake can't be GOTY

Is FF VII Remake a complete game and can be nominated as GOTY?

Yes, it's a complete game 36 54.55%

No, it's just an episode 21 31.82%

Something in between 9 13.64%

Total:66
Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

Then that changed. It was accepted a post to go off-topic, but when it became derailing thread usually a warning would be issued and next a proihibition to keep that off-topic discussion. Anyway, since you cleared that you think it being a remake doesn't invalidate it being able to compete for GOTY and that you are just discussing if one should call it an episode or not then there is no point in targeting it.

But do you acknowledge that in the gaming market episode is used to describe games like Life is strange (1h episodes that don't really have begining, start, end) and not for a full game that will need sequels to finish the story?

1) It changed in the last two days?

I guess you didn't understood. It changed from since I have seem mods warning about off-topic and derailing. But I already said there is no point in keeping at it

2) You aren't a mod, so I'll kindly ask you stop telling me what I can and cannot do.

Have I said you can or cannot? I asked you to address the OP, and you did. It was a command it was a request.

3) This thread is LITERALLY about if FFVII is episodic, so I am not off topic to begin with.

Nope, read title and OP. It is about it not being allowed to be GOTY, and one of the reasons is it being episodic.

4) As mentioned NUMEROUS times I haven't played games people are mentioning, thus I cannot comment.

Doesn't matter if you have played or not. It is still how the industry do. Several telltale games are episodic (I believe there are over 10 or 20 released), and that is the standard that is being used to call a game episodic, you can either purchase each of the episodes or the "whole game", but they are quite fast and really dependant on one another, in a way that you don't really get a satisfactory experience with playing just one of them. Sure a multi-release, part, sequel, trilogy, etc you don't get the full experience and you may be a little lost if you just read/watch/play one in the middle, but they are done in a way that you have a fulfilling experience and is reasonably understanding what happened in that volume.

So FFXII-2 and Lightning Returns aren't considered episodes, they are considered sequels. That is the distinction we are making, not because we hate the episode word, it is just that in the context of games it is considered something else.

5) I have played Xenosage, that episodic rpg that was released on the ps2.  FFVII seems very similar in concept.  In fact the verbiage of episodes is on the cover.

Yes and some of the star wars games had "episode" on the cover. That still doesn't change the fact that calling a game episodic is a standard used for something else. It isn't a matter of your experiences or how you fell about episode, it is a matter of how it is normally called. Also you example of Xenosaga on PS2 is what? 15 years old? We are talking about how it is considered now and that episodic is being used as an attack against the title. Or have you seem anyone that say it isn't an episode denying that the game will have sequels to end the story?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:

1) It changed in the last two days?

I guess you didn't understood. It changed from since I have seem mods warning about off-topic and derailing. But I already said there is no point in keeping at it

2) You aren't a mod, so I'll kindly ask you stop telling me what I can and cannot do.

Have I said you can or cannot? I asked you to address the OP, and you did. It was a command it was a request.

3) This thread is LITERALLY about if FFVII is episodic, so I am not off topic to begin with.

Nope, read title and OP. It is about it not being allowed to be GOTY, and one of the reasons is it being episodic.

4) As mentioned NUMEROUS times I haven't played games people are mentioning, thus I cannot comment.

Doesn't matter if you have played or not. It is still how the industry do. Several telltale games are episodic (I believe there are over 10 or 20 released), and that is the standard that is being used to call a game episodic, you can either purchase each of the episodes or the "whole game", but they are quite fast and really dependant on one another, in a way that you don't really get a satisfactory experience with playing just one of them. Sure a multi-release, part, sequel, trilogy, etc you don't get the full experience and you may be a little lost if you just read/watch/play one in the middle, but they are done in a way that you have a fulfilling experience and is reasonably understanding what happened in that volume.

So FFXII-2 and Lightning Returns aren't considered episodes, they are considered sequels. That is the distinction we are making, not because we hate the episode word, it is just that in the context of games it is considered something else.

5) I have played Xenosage, that episodic rpg that was released on the ps2.  FFVII seems very similar in concept.  In fact the verbiage of episodes is on the cover.

Yes and some of the star wars games had "episode" on the cover. That still doesn't change the fact that calling a game episodic is a standard used for something else. It isn't a matter of your experiences or how you fell about episode, it is a matter of how it is normally called. Also you example of Xenosaga on PS2 is what? 15 years old? We are talking about how it is considered now and that episodic is being used as an attack against the title. Or have you seem anyone that say it isn't an episode denying that the game will have sequels to end the story?

I don't understand your argument, FFVIIR is a REMAKE of the original game, each episode cost $60 with only 20 hours or a bit more for the main story. All other examples are not remake of the original game, not even comparable.

Chrkeller said:

I haven't missed any points. You are acting like your opinion is fact. It isn't.

FFVII has a full story with red, yuffie, cid and cait. And Vincent. Their stories are not in episode 1 being the full story has been segmented. Sorry Jack, want to talk facts, there you have it.

I'm off to play Ori.

But you can't dictate to developers and us what a full game is,if they put enough content and work in it to be a full game then it is.

The point you are missing is that this remake does not have to be a one to one traditional copy of the old game and it surely does not need the full story to be satisfactory and worth it's money.

So the original story has been segmented but you ignore that it is also being fleshed out by alot so if this is a negative or not comes down to personal bias.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 05 April 2020

I am currently playing the game, have it on dicsc, and it doesn't say anywhere that is is episodic! It does say however it's a standalone game in the FF7-project.

Not that I care much for 'game of the year' results, since it is something personal. This game however, and I am only 12 hours in, is definitely something I have been craving for since something that feels like forever. There has not been a game made in the past decade that I know of that comes close to giving me the enjoyment I am having now with FF7 Remake.

I have wondered where it all went wrong with XIII and XV in the meantime...

I still can't believe that people, at this point, are still comparing FF VII remake with games from Telltales games.

Around the Network

Half Life Alyx might have something to say about GotY

I finally have got my copy. YEAH

I'll be starting my gameplay this evening.

Having said that: yeah, imo, it could be nominated, yes. It's still a full new game. Remake or episodic. I count a remade game as a new game and the fact that it's a part of the whole story doesn't matter to me if it gets nominated to any sort of award or not.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

FFVIIR is a good game, with a botched story (But I am an original fan) however its 87 Meta rating and the even lower 8 costumer rating will keep it from winning the award. It is a good game, palling in comparison to the Witcher 3 and Even Horizon Zero Dawn. This year we might still get the Last of Us 2, from what I have seen and NDs reputation, that seems to be the game that will win the award.

This is as much a 'full game' as Mass Effect 1. Your logic is pretty flawed.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

It’s my game of the year