By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 1 or 2?

I choose...

Bayonetta 1 10 28.57%

Bayonetta 2 25 71.43%

Total:35

Bayonetta 2, because the first game has Route 666

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

I feel like the non-combat sections in the second game were better than the first as well.
Both games shine like diamonds when in combat, but the first game occasionally became a slight slog outside of it, something I never found to be a problem in the sequel.
Bayonetta herself is more compelling as a character in the second game as well I find, as she's no longer playing the somewhat overdone amnesiac role but knows who she is and has more confidence and conviction as a result.

curl-6 said:
I feel like the non-combat sections in the second game were better than the first as well.
Both games shine like diamonds when in combat, but the first game occasionally became a slight slog outside of it, something I never found to be a problem in the sequel.
Bayonetta herself is more compelling as a character in the second game as well I find, as she's no longer playing the somewhat overdone amnesiac role but knows who she is and has more confidence and conviction as a result.

That's a very good point. She feels much more confident and self-aware in the 2nd game and is much more enjoyable to play in my opinion.

curl-6 said:

I'm assuming you mean stuff such as the Bike segment when you refer to "outside combat" stuff? 

Because if so, I remember 1 being way worse in that regard. However, my memory is a little fuzzy since it's been almost 6 years since I played the games. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

I'm assuming you mean stuff such as the Bike segment when you refer to "outside combat" stuff? 

Because if so, I remember 1 being way worse in that regard. However, my memory is a little fuzzy since it's been almost 6 years since I played the games. 

Well that too but I was thinking more of the sections between fights in regular levels.

Around the Network

As odd as it sounds and having a different director. Bayo 2 feels more to me like a DMC successor than Bayo 1 did. Something about the pacing. Atmosphere and areas. Not to mention the placement of challenge areas. That felt more so funny enough after DMC5 launched even tho DMC5 is 4 years newer. Half the game takes place in an area that looks very similar to Hell in Bayo 2. Tho I admit the DMC series didn't feel like what we have now until DMC3.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I feel like 1's having any of it's pros or even elements it brings to the table completely swept away, with it's shortcomings brought up front and center, here.

Thought I don't think there's much point in trying to convince others differently, because it's obvious which game was chosen via the voting poll, the upvotes to certain posters and the general echo chamber-like feel to the discussion.

I'll always find Bayonetta as a character being confident in general, sassy at times and sarcy at others, even in 1 she had said traits .

Last edited by Chazore - on 07 April 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

I feel like 1's having any of it's pros or even elements it brings to the table completely swept away, with it's shortcomings brought up front and center, here.

Thought I don't think there's much point in trying to convince others differently, because it's obvious which game was chosen via the voting poll, the upvotes to certain posters and the general echo chamber-like feel to the discussion.

I'll always find Bayonetta as a character being confident in general, sassy at times and sarcy at others, even in 1 she had said traits .

I did preface in my post on the last page that I think Bayonetta 1 is "amazing", that it is one of my favourite games of the 7th generation, and that I had my doubts Bayo 2 could live up to it, specifically because I didn't want to come across as trashing it. I freaking love the first game.

And yeah, she was already sassy, confident, and badass, hence why she immediately became one of my favourite characters in gaming. I just felt that in the second game knowing who she was seemed to give her even more conviction.

Chazore said:

Prior to Bayonetta 1, I actually HATED how the game was looking. Even made a thread because I was so put off by it. Then the reviews came flowing in and it was all positive so I bought it. Loved it. One of my all time favorites.

Since then I've bought it physically on Xbox 360, physically on Wii U (admittedly with Bayo 2), digitally on Xbox One, digitally (again, with Bayo 2 but there was the option of just buying one) for the Switch. Again, love the game. I just like B2 better.

d21lewis said:

Prior to Bayonetta 1, I actually HATED how the game was looking. Even made a thread because I was so put off by it. Then the reviews came flowing in and it was all positive so I bought it. Loved it. One of my all time favorites.

Since then I've bought it physically on Xbox 360, physically on Wii U (admittedly with Bayo 2), digitally on Xbox One, digitally (again, with Bayo 2 but there was the option of just buying one) for the Switch. Again, love the game. I just like B2 better.

Truth be told, I was originally put off Bayo 1, thanks to it's god awful PS3 port at the time. It wasn't until my PS3 broke down, that I bought a 360 and purchased bayo 1 for it, and ended up having a much better time with it. Nabbed it on PC a couple years ago and I've had even better times with it since. I'm just glad the bad port on PS3 didn't entirely put me off the game in general.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"