By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 1 or 2?

I choose...

Bayonetta 1 10 28.57%

Bayonetta 2 25 71.43%

Total:35
Chazore said:
d21lewis said:

Prior to Bayonetta 1, I actually HATED how the game was looking. Even made a thread because I was so put off by it. Then the reviews came flowing in and it was all positive so I bought it. Loved it. One of my all time favorites.

Since then I've bought it physically on Xbox 360, physically on Wii U (admittedly with Bayo 2), digitally on Xbox One, digitally (again, with Bayo 2 but there was the option of just buying one) for the Switch. Again, love the game. I just like B2 better.

Truth be told, I was originally put off Bayo 1, thanks to it's god awful PS3 port at the time. It wasn't until my PS3 broke down, that I bought a 360 and purchased bayo 1 for it, and ended up having a much better time with it. Nabbed it on PC a couple years ago and I've had even better times with it since. I'm just glad the bad port on PS3 didn't entirely put me off the game in general.

Yeah Bayonetta 1 on PS3 is a legendarily bad port, even all these years later. Thankfully every other version of it is pretty good.

I remember being disappointed to hear it didn't sell well back in the day; I wonder how many sales it lost due to the PS3 port sucking so hard, or whether it was just too out there stylistically to be a hit with the mainstream.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Yeah Bayonetta 1 on PS3 is a legendarily bad port, even all these years later. Thankfully every other version of it is pretty good.

I remember being disappointed to hear it didn't sell well back in the day; I wonder how many sales it lost due to the PS3 port sucking so hard, or whether it was just too out there stylistically to be a hit with the mainstream.

I cannot remember too well from back then, but wasn't the PS3 not leading in general sales compared to the 360 at that time?. I do know that near the end of that generation, the PS3 had picked up it's sales, but I wasn't sure what it's state was like, back when Bayo 1 was released. The bad port I imagine, would have definitely lead to a loss in sales on the PS3 side at that time. Also not forgetting that back then, devs hardly went back to patch games like Bayo, to further improve performance, like this gen, where we see some devs going back with improved perf patches, both on base systems and refresh ones. 

I feel like the 360 version sold more at the time, but I haven't checked on last gen sales data for a very long time. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
curl-6 said:

I cannot remember too well from back then, but wasn't the PS3 not leading in general sales compared to the 360 at that time?. I do know that near the end of that generation, the PS3 had picked up it's sales, but I wasn't sure what it's state was like, back when Bayo 1 was released. The bad port I imagine, would have definitely lead to a loss in sales on the PS3 side at that time. Also not forgetting that back then, devs hardly went back to patch games like Bayo, to further improve performance, like this gen, where we see some devs going back with improved perf patches, both on base systems and refresh ones. 

I feel like the 360 version sold more at the time, but I haven't checked on last gen sales data for a very long time. 

VGChartz has the PS3 version ahead of the far superior 360 version in lifetime sales sadly, so a lot of folks ended up with the gimped version of the game.

curl-6 said:

VGChartz has the PS3 version ahead of the far superior 360 version in lifetime sales sadly, so a lot of folks ended up with the gimped version of the game.

That's unfortunate. I wasn't within the minority at that time then. I feel like that port could have been done justice, if only the devs had gone back to patch the game, or work closer with Sony, to sort out the difficulties in utilising their CELL CPU (that was honestly a bane for most devs at that time, apart from 1st party, who worked closely with Sony). I also feel like last gen could have done with cutting costs to patch said games (that's the perk of making games on PC, you don't have to pay to update your games on other OS's). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

CGI-Quality said:

The devs actually did go back and patch the PS3 port, so it wasn't as bad as some would have you believe. It never ended up being as good as the 360 build, but it saw tremendous progress through multiple patches.

Did DF ever go back to reviewing it after the patches were released?.

I don't really remember anything about it getting patched, and never really saw YT coverage of the patched gameplay, so I wouldn't know how far it came. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

They patched the framerate issues (for the most part) and attempted to fix the load times (this is where the 360 really shined). Development started in Jan 2007 and the 360 was the base platform, so it was no surprise that, despite the patches, they were never really able to iron out every serious problem. And this was with Sony themselves creating and releasing the patch, not SEGA or Platinum.

Damn, so Sony were practically on their own with that one. But then again, they knew CELL better than P* did.

IIRC, part of the problem was that as Bayonetta was Platinum's first HD game, they chose 360 as the lead platform due to it being easier to develop for, and as a result the game focused on a lot on things that the 360 was just plain better at than the PS3, like throwing around a huge amount of alpha transparencies at once. 

As a result, its core technical makeup was such that while the PS3 port certainly could've been a lot better than it was, there was really no way to get it on par with the 360 version as it favoured the architecture of Microsoft's box so heavily.