By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 1 or 2?

I choose...

Bayonetta 1 10 28.57%

Bayonetta 2 25 71.43%

Total:35

Bayo 1 has better combat system with it being more intricate and balance but as a game to play through Bayo 2 is better as it fixes a number of questionable design choices in the first game, as a high level player the are examples of issues in both games.

The are certain things combat in Bayo 2 doesn't allow due to changes in the combat because of the focus of WT as a central mechanic but as a game it's better by far as it has better structure, mission types removes QTEs, gets rid of stage hazards (burning ground etc...) and reduces the number of horrid on rail missions. An example of what I mean is the After Burner stage in Bayo 1 it is a long winded on rails slog that you always have to playthrough to get to one of the best boss fights in the game the two sections should have just been made two separate missions as if you're going for pure platinum runs you really see the flaws in the game's structure especially with the unpredictability of boss fights. Bayo 1 has some of the best bosses but what holds them back is BS like mid battle QTEs that are instant death and this again is present in the said mission because you can be in the midst of a combo and set up then the QTE comes and in the original versions of B1 they were more random in the buttons to be pressed and this could mean that in split seconds a platinum or pure platinum run of a mission would die and the whole mission would have to be done again which is why the mentioned mission is the perfect example of the flaws in the game. Compare this to DMC games where the battle is just you, your skill and the boss with no interruptions.

On the flipside B2's changes in combat are what are the main issues for it the reliance on WT as a central focal point puts restrictions on combat for example in B2 you cannot launch mid to larger enemies into the air with out it anymore and various mechanics were nerfed with no balance applied to them such as the parry and weave attacks. In B1 when you perfect parried you activated extended WT while in B2 the game where WT is central you get no such reward in combat for perfect parries making it pointless even having them. In B1 weave attacks were powerful in not just damage output but in staggering, launching and disrupting enemies but in B2 they don't do any of that due to being nerfed and WT being required to to stagger, launch or disrupt mid to large enemies yet in the game they still consume the same large amount of magic as they did in the first which makes them pointless and just pushes the player to only use climax with their magic instead. Another issue is due to WT being made more central to combat some enemies are only really vulnerable when it's active even if you activate climax they can still parry or evade your attacks no matter your skill which forces the player to use certain approaches in battles were such enemies are present.

Between the two due to the flaws they're about even overall but if you're looking for high level combat B1 is better if you're looking for an action game to play through B2 is better.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Chrkeller said:

His argument makes as much sense as claiming not to buy God of War because the ps4 Pro is weak hardware (compared to the X) and holds the game back.  His post was clearly a jab at a specific console, hence my troll comment.  And I suspect if ps4 exclusives were being bashed because of Pro hardware limitations, those posts would be modded rather quickly.    

Aside from the obvious posted above, there are many additional flaws with his argument.  The easiest is pointing out Bayo 2 isn't exclusive to a portable system.  It was originally a Wii U game, which clearly isn't a portable system.  So he doesn't even have his facts correct.  I would also add Bayo 2 was funded by Nintendo and wouldn't even exist if it weren't for said funding.    

Cool, keep the hostility down next time and just attack the argument. 

Eh this is a constant thing to do the last 6 years over Bayo 2 exclusive on Nintendo platforms. They don't get nor believe without Nintendo Bayo 2 would not have happened so for years and it's done with the intent to get on people's nerves and attacks the hardware or the exclusivity to get attention. I ignored his initial comment but providing a little background to the intent. No worries I heed your comments. I'm not going to engage in it.

Last edited by Leynos - on 02 April 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Bayonetta 2.

Has a better variety of weapons, doesn't have as many insta death QTE events, has an at least moderately coherent story, and I think the new power up mechanic works well for the game. It also seems to be far more forgiving in terms of the rankings they give out, which is good for my fragile self esteem.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Finale said:
1 because it has mechanics that are more balanced around themselves. Bayo 2 problem is that combat suffer a bit for spectacle, it has some really annoying design decisions. The ones who stick out to me more are enemies that can either insta dodge or insta block an attack, which makes the combat feels less like a dance(as it did in the first game) and more like a wait-to-attack game, as many others out there. Not to say its super shallow or anything, some enemy behaviours are still promoting interesting gameplay decisions(tho most of those came back from the first game), but it is dissapointing to me.

If your thing is spectacle, style and more fun lore from the bayo universe you probably will like bayo 2 more i feel. But what is special about bayo was how it handled fights with charm and competence, so i'm more of a 1 guy.

Thank you for your analytical contribution, Egoraptor. 

Sem problemas.

Both are great, but I think the first one edges out the second one. Mostly because of the final boss.

Around the Network

1 wins just from the space harrier throwback.

Not sure if it's a checkmate since Space Harrier came first in the early arcade and Sega Master System says and kind of was one of the founders of that type of on rails shooter. 

Either way, Space Harrier and Lylat Wars bring back fond memories of growing up. 

CGI-Quality said:
Chrkeller said:

I'll remember that.  When there is a thread about a ps4 exclusive, I'll comment about how weak the hardware is and how it hurts the game.  Friendly bet says I get attacked and the mods blame me.  This place is beyond biased.  But hey, like most I am spending less and less time here.  So by all means, keep up the "good" work.  

Yeah, well, we can discuss your issues with VGC elsewhere. In the mean time, respect the simple rule of attack the post and not the poster. 

Oh, and for the record, someone wanting a game on PC because they'd prefer it having the best possible output versus console(s) is a legit desire. I'm not frayed by your opinion on that (which was also legit), merely the way you handled it. 

^^^

This is legit what I was trying to say.

I played the first one on PS3, had a horrible experience. Played it on 360, had a solid experience. Played it on PC years later, had the best possible experience for myself.

All I wanted was to be able to play Bayo 2, to the best of it's ability, on more capable hw. We've seen this happen with emu's before, but that's not me being a fanboy or anything, that's a legit fact, based on what we see via the emulators, on higher end hw. Again, to anyone getting fussy over me pointing that out, don't, it's just pointless and stems from personal warring (which there is no need of).

Also, I did mention of myself owning a Switch. I have games for it and play it on a daily basis, just as much as I do my PC, but I saw how Bayo 2 looked and performed, as well as it's initial asking price and that completely put me off wanting to buy it entirely. I know it would be easily playable on my rig, and that's the place where I'd want to play it (I could technically just resort to emu'ing it, but I don't really feel that sort of urge, to go out of my way).

There's absolutely nothing trollish about making my own personal opinion, on a thread that was asking me about Bayo 1-2.

You know what's really biased?. A few in this thread upvoting the fake call-out of a person who thinks I'm a troll, who already have it out for me, and also making passive-aggressive comments on wanting to "add me to the list of butthurt" (I'm not stupid).

Edit: Also, I had no such "ill intent", and I diligaf at the "it wouldn't be made possible without Nintendo" excuse either. That's more a card to use for passive-aggressive jabbing and a defensive measure, to which there is no need for such a thing.  

Last edited by Chazore - on 02 April 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yeah, well, we can discuss your issues with VGC elsewhere. In the mean time, respect the simple rule of attack the post and not the poster. 

Oh, and for the record, someone wanting a game on PC because they'd prefer it having the best possible output versus console(s) is a legit desire. I'm not frayed by your opinion on that (which was also legit), merely the way you handled it. 

^^^

I played the first one on PS3, had a horrible experience. Played it on 360, had a solid experience. Played it on PC years later, had the best possible experience for myself.

All I wanted was to be able to play Bayo 2, to the best of it's ability, on more capable hw. We've seen this happen with emu's before, but that's not me being a fanboy or anything, that's a legit fact, based on what we see via the emulators, on higher end hw. Again, to anyone getting fussy over me pointing that out, don't, it's just pointless and stems from personal warring (which there is no need of).

Also, I did mention of myself owning a Switch. I have games for it and play it on a daily basis, just as much as I do my PC, but I saw how Bayo 2 looked and performed, as well as it's initial asking price and that completely put me off wanting to buy it entirely. I know it would be easily playable on my rig, and that's the place where I'd want to play it (I could technically just resort to emu'ing it, but I don't really feel that sort of urge, to go out of my way).

There's absolutely nothing trollish about making my own personal opinion, on a thread that was asking me about Bayo 1-2.

You know what's really biased?. A few in this thread upvoting the fake call-out of a person who thinks I'm a troll, who already have it out for me, and also making passive-aggressive comments on wanting to "add me to the list of butthurt" (I'm not stupid).

Edit: Also, I had no such "ill intent", and I diligaf at the "it wouldn't be made possible without Nintendo" excuse either. That's more a card to use for passive-aggressive jabbing and a defensive measure, to which there is no need for such a thing.  

I find this position a curious one.

You say you own a Switch and play it on a daily basis.

But if you care so strongly about graphical performance and want only the best in that regard, why buy or play on a Switch in the first place, or any console for that matter? Why not just play everything on PC at maxed settings?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 April 2020

Chazore said:

^^^

The problem with your argument here is that the topic was never about the direction your post took things it was comparing the two games to each other I play most games on PC for best output as well but nothing about what was asked and secondly B2 was made for Wii U as a lead platform not NS which is a more powerful platform and a hybrid. Lastly output doesn't factor in as much with exclusives because the title is optimized for the one platform through and through for it hence why the game still runs smoothly CGI's post doesn't really clear your post because that context doesn't apply here as you're going by the angle of being made for more powerful hardware equals better with this part "because I know that game can do better, than being shackled to lesser hw" when the are examples of that not really being the case such as BOTW's lead platform was Wii U and the was and still is no open world game on more powerful hardware that can do all the things it allows in one single package the in fact isn't a single game period.

If it was about output as CGI said you'd simply play it on a PC emulator after all you legally own the game so that's allowed which calls the post into question as anyway you look at it it just comes across as a pointless bash so I can see why your post was seen as such.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 02 April 2020