By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

Has there ever been so much naked, brazen fearmongering on such a large scale since the Red Scare?

https://youtu.be/k56COCVg2DI

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

Has there ever been so much naked, brazen fearmongering on such a large scale since the Red Scare?

Wow, just wow!

Not even sure the Red Scare did ever reach that high in blatant fearmongering - it was just much more effective.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
TallSilhouette said:

Wow, just wow!

Not even sure the Red Scare did ever reach that high in blatant fearmongering - it was just much more effective.

Its 7 minutes of like a 10 hour convention. The DNC was way worse with the doom and gloom.

JWeinCom said:

If Trump loses, especially if he loses big, I think the Republicans are going to turn on him savagely.

If Trumpism can't win the election, then the republican party is in deep trouble. Particularly with the shifting demographics in the southwest. If Texas and Arizona continue shifting in the direction they've been going, then the party is in an existential crisis. If Trump's 2016 performance in the rust belt was an anomaly (which seems like it may be the case) and Texas can't be relied on, then the party has no path to success on a national level.

In that event, they would desperately need to pivot to the center. And Trump would be an obstacle. I don't believe the republicans would want Trump to run in 2024. If he were in the primary though, he would drag the whole field to the right. If he loses, he might run anyway, which would all but ensure a democratic victory. 

Even if he stayed out of the races, he's such a polarizing figure that he would be an anchor around the party's neck. If the 2024 candidate (let's say someone like Marco Rubio) tried to distance themselves from him, he'd lash out. And Trump would effectively serve as a boogeyman for the Democrats if Trump was a vocal supporter for the next candidate. And, honestly, if Trump loses, would it surprise you if he blamed everyone but himself, including the republican party in general? 

That puts the party in an odd position. They need to appeal to Trump voters, but Trump's support would galvanize Democrats and possibly repel moderates. Then, what can the party do?

The only thing they could do is try their best to completely destroy him. Spend the first two years of the Biden presidency completely dismantling him, scapegoat him, blame him for the party's performance (although maybe that's not quite scapegoating), and effectively beat him into silence. Do everything they can to make sure he's out of the public eye by the next election, and try to "rebrand" the party in 2024.

Calling it now, if Biden wins with something like 315 or more, then Biden will be #3 on the republican hit list. #2 will be Kamala Harris. #1 will be Donald Trump.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Will they, though? Or will they just blame the economy/Coronavirus/mail-in voting/whatever instead? I'm fairly sure it's the latter, blaming something else for their failure like they always do.

And it wouldn't be the first time, either. They didn't change course after Obama crushed McCain in 2008. In fact, they doubled down on their core tenants and pushed them further to the right.

I'm also fairly sure that in 2024 either Ivanka, Jared Kushner or Trump Jr. will run for office. How they will fare is another question, though.

Donald Trump Jr. will almost certainly run for the presidency in 2024. His chances of securing the Republican nomination, however, will be determined by the outcome of this election. Should his father be defeated, that one unforgivable sin will likely be passed onto the son in the minds of most Republican partisans.

Nikki Haley is widely seen as another plausible 2024 Republican candidate (she's obviously setting herself up for a presidential run). She is a Reaganist neoconservative ideologically, not a true Trump-like ethno-national isolationist. Her viability depends on the ability of the Reaganist wing of the Republican Party to stage a comeback between now and then...which I think depends on whether Trump wins or loses this election. What someone like Haley offers her party is the chance to possibly win back some of that suburban support that Trump's election has subsequently cost them. That needs to be seen as a necessity for the GOP for her to be viable in her party's primaries. She seems to be betting that that's exactly what the situation will be in 2024...and I think she's probably right.

KLXVER said:
EnricoPallazzo said:
So Nanci said she thinks there should be any debate between trump and biden. I wonder why. I have been saying this for a while I have serious doubts there will be debates, which would be shameful.

You really wonder why? Trump would destroy the poor man. 

As others have pointed out already, Biden remains firmly committed to debating President Trump.

That said, Nancy Pelosi's stance here is one I find troubling in that the corresponding mentality has become almost symptomatic of being a contemporary American liberal or progressive. The Republicans just spent the whole week lambasting cancel culture. The Speaker of the House of Representatives played right into that narrative about how the left is today by suggesting that Trump "should not be legitimized" by a debate. Too many on the left today seem to believe that that's how things should be; that one shouldn't try to win the argument (about anything), but instead shut down debate. If Joe Biden were to go along with that way of thinking and refuse to debate President Trump, the message the public would get from that is that Biden cannot win the political argument, and THAT would tend to sink his campaign! Pelosi is not doing him or their party any favors by joining in the left's smug, puritanical culture of cancellation. This shit should stop.

Fortunately, Biden seems to be confident in his ability to win the proverbial battle of ideas. And as well he should be considering how out of touch not only with the public's priorities, but also with reality Trump and the Republicans just showed themselves to be this week. The Democratic convention, and Biden's acceptance speech, focused mainly on the coronavirus pandemic. The Republican convention instead brushed off the main concern on the minds of voters to instead prioritize white identity politics. (Er I mean "law and order", sorry, because no one believes in following the law more than President Trump!) I mean both parties talked about race relations, but where race was an issue discussed in the Democratic convention, it was the main issue spoken of in the GOP convention. One of these parties is clearly more obsessed with people's race than the other. Anyway, the contest of ideas here should be an easy one for Biden to win regardless of speech problems. I'm glad he's not shying away from the opportunity because I for one want to see it!

Last edited by Jaicee - on 29 August 2020

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Will they, though? Or will they just blame the economy/Coronavirus/mail-in voting/whatever instead? I'm fairly sure it's the latter, blaming something else for their failure like they always do.

And it wouldn't be the first time, either. They didn't change course after Obama crushed McCain in 2008. In fact, they doubled down on their core tenants and pushed them further to the right.

I'm also fairly sure that in 2024 either Ivanka, Jared Kushner or Trump Jr. will run for office. How they will fare is another question, though.

Donald Trump Jr. will almost certainly run for the presidency in 2024. His chances of securing the Republican nomination, however, will be determined by the outcome of this election. Should his father be defeated, that one unforgivable sin will likely be passed onto the son in the minds of most Republican partisans.

Nikki Haley is widely seen as another plausible 2024 Republican candidate (she's obviously setting herself up for a presidential run). She is a Reaganist neoconservative ideologically, not a true Trump-like ethno-national isolationist. Her viability depends on the ability of the Reaganist wing of the Republican Party to stage a comeback between now and then...which I think depends on whether Trump wins or loses this election. What someone like Haley offers her party is the chance to possibly win back some of that suburban support that Trump's election has subsequently cost them. That needs to be seen as a necessity for the GOP for her to be viable in her party's primaries. She seems to be betting that that's exactly what the situation will be in 2024...and I think she's probably right.

Ivanka looked like she's much more interested and invested into it, and even Jared Kushner seemed more interested into politics. Hence why I also stated them as potential choices.

How they will fare against the aforementioned Nikki Haley needs to be seen. Nikki could potentially unite both Reaganists and Trumpists, something I don't think either one of the Trump clan can do. On the other hand, this might become a drawback, as she could be seen as a compromiser with her hands in too many cakes.

America missed out on Yang big time. Yesterday Elon Musk unveiled tech that could automate complex jobs likes surgeons. If these complex jobs can be automated then we're in big trouble.

jason1637 said:
America missed out on Yang big time. Yesterday Elon Musk unveiled tech that could automate complex jobs likes surgeons. If these complex jobs can be automated then we're in big trouble.

Really looking forward to Neuralink. Stentrode is another promising minimally invasive subcranial BCI that also recently received breakthrough designation from the FDA. 

TallSilhouette said:
jason1637 said:

Really looking forward to Neuralink. Stentrode is another promising minimally invasive subcranial BCI that also recently received breakthrough designation from the FDA. 

Yeah this stuff will definitely help many people but also put a lot of people out of work.

Moren said:
Biden immediately said he disagreed with Pelosi and that he'd debate.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/us/elections/pelosi-says-biden-should-not-debate-trump-biden-disagrees.html

People can keep up bringing the stupid senility claims, even though there's been overwhelming proof it is nonsense. It just lowers the bar for Biden to perform well in the debate.

If Biden is indeed Senile... He still has more intellectual fortitude and ethics than Trump, which just says allot about how incompetent and childish Trump truly is.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--