By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

Dulfite said:
Due to voter turnout in urban areas probably being lower than normal (which will hurt democrats a lot) I think the polls aren't really reflective of who will actually vote come election day. Some states have implemented widespread absentee ballots but those aren't swing states for the most part so even if there isn't a drop off in those states it won't impact the electoral college much if at all. Not to mention just because there is absentee voting options doesn't mean people will be aware of it or use it even if they are. Biden being grounded in the basement during covid 19 hasn't helped energize his base either. Democrats win by energy and die by apathy, whereas Republicans are more stable and consistent with voting. Low voter turnout favors Republicans generally (Clinton 2016 vs. Obama 2008/2012 is a joke).

All comes down to the rust belt states, Arizona, North Carolina, and Florida.

Older people tend to vote Republican and they are the ones who vote the most.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
Dulfite said:
Due to voter turnout in urban areas probably being lower than normal (which will hurt democrats a lot) I think the polls aren't really reflective of who will actually vote come election day. Some states have implemented widespread absentee ballots but those aren't swing states for the most part so even if there isn't a drop off in those states it won't impact the electoral college much if at all. Not to mention just because there is absentee voting options doesn't mean people will be aware of it or use it even if they are. Biden being grounded in the basement during covid 19 hasn't helped energize his base either. Democrats win by energy and die by apathy, whereas Republicans are more stable and consistent with voting. Low voter turnout favors Republicans generally (Clinton 2016 vs. Obama 2008/2012 is a joke).

All comes down to the rust belt states, Arizona, North Carolina, and Florida.

I think the oldest groups have Biden leading right now in polls?

Last edited by Dulfite - on 10 June 2020

I don't mind Trump too much, but I don't want him to win again. He really brings out the worst in people.

Even if Biden wins. It‘s worthless, unless the Dems win the Senate.
The Republicans will block everything in Senate.

Snoopy said:

I like Donald Trump way more than that China loving son of a bitch Joe Biden. Seriously, after all the shit China has put everyone through (not just talking about corona virus) why do we even mess with them. 

Edit: Just to make it clear, I hate the Chinese government and not the people (for most part). 

You sure you haven't inverted the names there? Just look how often Trump praised China and it's leader Xi Jinping:

Over Coronavirus: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/21/politics/trump-china-praise-coronavirus-timeline/index.html

Praising China and opening the door for them to intervene in Hong Kong's Protests: https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-08-15/trump-praises-chinese-leader-not-hong-kong-protesters

Praising Xi Jinping while in the midst of a trade war with him: https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/trump-praises-chinese-leader-amid-escalating-trade-war/1565379

Congratulating for the PRC's 70th Birthday: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/01/republicans-trump-china-anniversary-015290

Saying Xi had helped the US more than any other Chinese President (which would naturally include any pre-PRC presidents): https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-xi-jinping-helped-the-us-more-than-any-predecessors-2018-4?IR=T

Trump praises China, says trades very fairly with the US, and blames the US for it's trade deficit: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/09/donald-trump-china-act-faster-north-korea-threat

These are just a few I found with less than 2 minutes of googling. So, let's see what to find on Biden's behalf:

Checking upon Biden, I could see that he's one of the 90 Senators who signed the Taiwan Relations Act of 1979 to keep unofficial ties to the Taiwanese Government after the official ones ended. This was meant to keep China in check. But what taints his vest is that he opened commercial relations with China around the turn of millennium. But that wasn't meant as a gift to China and more like a honey trap. Or, in his own words, "The more they [meaning China] have to lose, the more they are likely to begin to accommodate international norms". So in other words, he was betting on the idea that richer Chinese people wouldn't want an exploitative government anymore and it would force China to follow international rules in terms of trade. As we know today, that didn't quite work out as intended to say the least.

The other thing that I could find was his support for the one china policy. But this wasn't in support of the PRC, but to avoid Taiwan declaring independence and risking getting drawn into a potentially very devastating war with China.

I do agree if anybody says that those were very misguided things he did. But at no point did he ever praise China - at least I couldn't find any within 15 minutes of googling.

So, who's really a china-loving son of a bitch here?

Snoopy said:

That's true. But they are also by far the most affected by the coronavirus, so their numbers could be diminished by the outbreak - potentially even by a lot if this health crisis goes on.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 June 2020

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Snoopy said:

I like Donald Trump way more than that China loving son of a bitch Joe Biden. Seriously, after all the shit China has put everyone through (not just talking about corona virus) why do we even mess with them. 

Edit: Just to make it clear, I hate the Chinese government and not the people (for most part). 

You sure you haven't inverted the names there? Just look how often Trump praised China and it's leader Xi Jinping:

Over Coronavirus: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/21/politics/trump-china-praise-coronavirus-timeline/index.html

Praising China and opening the door for them to intervene in Hong Kong's Protests: https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-08-15/trump-praises-chinese-leader-not-hong-kong-protesters

Praising Xi Jinping while in the midst of a trade war with him: https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/trump-praises-chinese-leader-amid-escalating-trade-war/1565379

Congratulating for the PRC's 70th Birthday: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/01/republicans-trump-china-anniversary-015290

Saying Xi had helped the US more than any other Chinese President (which would naturally include any pre-PRC presidents): https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-xi-jinping-helped-the-us-more-than-any-predecessors-2018-4?IR=T

Trump praises China, says trades very fairly with the US, and blames the US for it's trade deficit: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/09/donald-trump-china-act-faster-north-korea-threat

These are just a few I found with less than 2 minutes of googling. So, let's see what to find on Biden's behalf:

Checking upon Biden, I could see that he's one of the 90 Senators who signed the Taiwan Relations Act of 1979 to keep unofficial ties to the Taiwanese Government after the official ones ended. This was meant to keep China in check. But what taints his vest is that he opened commercial relations with China around the turn of millennium. But that wasn't meant as a gift to China and more like a honey trap. Or, in his own words, "The more they [meaning China] have to lose, the more they are likely to begin to accommodate international norms". So in other words, he was betting on the idea that richer Chinese people wouldn't want an exploitative government anymore and it would force China to follow international rules in terms of trade. As we know today, that didn't quite work out as intended to say the least.

The other thing that I could find was his support for the one china policy. But this wasn't in support of the PRC, but to avoid Taiwan declaring independence and risking getting drawn into a potentially very devastating war with China.

I do agree if anybody says that those were very misguided things he did. But at no point did he ever praise China - at least I couldn't find any within 15 minutes of googling.

So, who's really a china-loving son of a bitch here?

Snoopy said:

That's true. But they are also by far the most affected by the coronavirus, so their numbers could be diminished by the outbreak - potentially even by a lot if this health crisis goes on.

Nope, Joe Biden actually sold out to China, whereas Trump is trying to make deals that benefit us more. He has the right to blame USA for creating a deficit with China and making them what they are due to our shitty past Presidents/politicians. Also, the areas that are going to be affected the most are cities/urban by the corona virus not the rural areas. This will lead to more Republican voters which will help Donald to secure a victory. Most of the old people that died were probably in a city such as New York so there was a good chance they were Democrats or in an area that was a lost cause for Republicans.

In short, the Corona virus will probably prevent people in cities that usually support Democrats from voting with the combination of Joe Biden just not being appealing or entertaining.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 10 June 2020

Is it just me or is anybody else annoyed with how Biden is going about selecting his VP? He is setting these parameters that have nothing to do with the job. First he said he was going to only select a female, now rumors are that race is also a factor with everything going on. So basically he is being prejudicial based on gender and race.

Now, I certainly have nothing against a female black VP choice. In fact, I find it kind of exciting honestly. However, it is a big gig especially with how old Biden is. I would hate to end up with somebody less qualified because he limited the search for superficial reasons.

My guess is it ends up being Harris. Which is fine. However, there are more exciting prospects out there I think. I would have liked to see Corey Booker as VP... but oh wells...

gergroy said:
Is it just me or is anybody else annoyed with how Biden is going about selecting his VP? He is setting these parameters that have nothing to do with the job. First he said he was going to only select a female, now rumors are that race is also a factor with everything going on. So basically he is being prejudicial based on gender and race.

Now, I certainly have nothing against a female black VP choice. In fact, I find it kind of exciting honestly. However, it is a big gig especially with how old Biden is. I would hate to end up with somebody less qualified because he limited the search for superficial reasons.

My guess is it ends up being Harris. Which is fine. However, there are more exciting prospects out there I think. I would have liked to see Corey Booker as VP... but oh wells...

Well, a VP actually has no real job except being there to replace the President should he be incapacitated in any way and to be the tiebreaker for the Senate.

Hence why in the past the position was often used to kick some people upstairs they wanted to shut up and out for 4-8 years. Of course, this tactic has the drawback that if the president dies, then the troublemaker becomes the president. This tactic however has backfired so often that it's not used for this purpose anymore. For instance, Theodore Roosevelt was hated by it's party and thus chosen to be the running mate of William McKinley to lock him out, but then became President after after McKinley got assassinated.

As such, choosing a VP these days is mostly to find somebody with enough appeal to voters which don't necessarily vote for the presidential candidate. In Biden's case, a progressive black women would be the choice to garner more votes of people of color, of women and of progressives. Trump did the same, he choose Pence to garner the votes of the religious right (and religious people in general) instead.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
gergroy said:

Well, a VP actually has no real job except being there to replace the President should he be incapacitated in any way and to be the tiebreaker for the Senate.

Hence why in the past the position was often used to kick some people upstairs they wanted to shut up and out for 4-8 years. Of course, this tactic has the drawback that if the president dies, then the troublemaker becomes the president. This tactic however has backfired so often that it's not used for this purpose anymore. For instance, Theodore Roosevelt was hated by it's party and thus chosen to be the running mate of William McKinley to lock him out, but then became President after after McKinley got assassinated.

As such, choosing a VP these days is mostly to find somebody with enough appeal to voters which don't necessarily vote for the presidential candidate. In Biden's case, a progressive black women would be the choice to garner more votes of people of color, of women and of progressives. Trump did the same, he choose Pence to garner the votes of the religious right (and religious people in general) instead.

Yeah, I get that it is pretty much all about the optics these days... I just kinda feel like that with Biden’s age it should be taken a bit more seriously.  He should have started from a wide pool of candidates and vetted it down from there.  If it still ended up being black women, great.  I would have at least known he took a look at others.  I just don’t like the fact that he limited his pool of candidates from the start...and those limits were fairly superficial...

While it would be exciting have a black female as a VP candidate, I know from experience that those basic characteristics fade quickly.  I remember thinking it was pretty cool when McCain chose Palin, a female to be his vp.  That feeling quickly faded when we started learning about her.  Palin would have been a trainwreck.  Glad she never got close to the presidency.  

If I was an American I would be voting for Trump. I am not saying that Trump is anywhere near perfect, but at least he is his own man and he is making an effort to help improve people's lives in America. It is so obvious that the left has become co-opted by the foreign Chinese communist party and multinational corporate interests who are trying to bring Americans under their control like they have done for all the poor slaves living in China. The left used to be about resisting corporate tyranny but now they are the biggest pushers of the mainstream corporate media, the big tech giants, the mandatory vaccines from big pharma, 5G from big telecom, genetic modification of food and the elimination of ranchers in favor of chemical-laden artificial meat poison. The left used to be about fighting for the free expression of knowledge and encouraging intellectual discourse and now we see modern day book burning with online censorship of conservatives and we see raging mindless mobs ripping down statues of historical figures whose reasons for remembrance they don't have the slightest clue about. When we turn on the mainstream media the only thing we hear now is that skin color is the most important thing about you and that if you have lots of skin pigment then you should be raging mad against those with no skin pigment. Gone are the days of Martin Luther King Jr. when it was the content of our character that mattered to the left and not some superficial garbage like the color of a person's skin.

I look at the left today and I all see a raging cult that is unable to see how they have been taken as slaves and are being lead around on a leash by a bunch of billionaires and the Chinese Communist Party with agitprop that is designed to create instability that is only meant to destroy the US as an economic power and turn it into another one of the world's many basket case tyrannies. I believe that Americans are realizing this though and that you are not going to let yourself be controlled by these puppets who claim to lead the left. Your are not going to let yourself be conquered by a dictatorship nightmare like China. When Biden tells you that you aren't black if you don't vote for him, I say that you should give him the finger and walk away.