By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

Jumpin said:

What..... the..... actual..... fuck?????

This guy is senile.

jason1637 said:

Trunp doesn't know how to take responsibility for his failures. When he loses in November he will probably blame everyone but himself. 

There seems to be some confusion. Once you remember that Trump cares more about the preservation of Confederate STATUES than he does about the preservation of HUMAN LIFE, all becomes clear here, I think. The man is simply a full 10 narcissist. He has no soul. That is why his perspective on...things...is so divorced from yours and mind. We have souls. We care whether people live or die. Most people do. All Trump cares about is whether people are praising him or not. Everything he does, thinks, and says is to get praise, not to solve problems or answer queries truthfully or even coherently. Remember that and you'll understand everything Trump says.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 15 July 2020

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
newwil7l said:
Trump is backpedaling on the virus, polls look grimmer by the day, enthusiasm for Trump which was Trump's strongest selling point is waning. I thought he couldn't reach a new low after June but I was wrong. A lot can still change from now to November but I don't see him being able to get out of this hole.

I'm not sure what you mean by backpedaling on the virus.  He seems to be running into the breach to me.  Sad part is that he actually was doing a very good job through May (no matter the narrative).  The country beat back the virus pretty well and, the New York cluster aside, most states got off relatively light because they shut down early.

Then the riots happened and the media decided the virus didn't matter for a few weeks.  Instead of Trump chastising them and reminding them of the dangers he accepted their judgement.  This did two things.  First, it took the rioters and protesters off the hook.  If Trump had stayed on message, right now he could be blaming them for the re-emergence of the virus.  Second, when the media inevitably got their amnesia and decided that the virus threat again, it allowed them to blame Trump, who had stopped taking the threat seriously and, by then, deserved ownership for it.

Sadly, the reason that Trump was good those first two months was out of self-interest.  He was being judged on his performance, so he performed well.  As best he was able, he was Santa Claus to the states, he was listening to the experts, and he did have his eye on the long term.  The split with the riots let Trump think that the virus was something that was politicized.  He then believed that it was in his self-interest to take a side and somehow personalize the issue.

In any case, the bottom might well be about to fall out on him.  Would be nice if he could somehow be persuaded to drop out before the Republican convention about 40 days from now, but I doubt it.

This seems to be a very interesting interpretation of trumps performance.  Especially since trump politicized it almost from the start.  Trump definitely didn’t listen to experts for two months, he was done with that after a couple of weeks.  Trump was pushing for states to reopen almost immediately against the advice of his experts.  Trump chose early on that he valued the economy over public health.  The virus never really got under control in most states, it plateaued.  There definitely wasn’t a time the media wasn’t talking about Covid either... You give him far too many breaks and excuses in the name of being fair.  

EnricoPallazzo said:
sethnintendo said:

Ah yea changing plate might be wise move.  I had a neighbor riding with me about 6 months back or so and I got behind a car with California plates.  It got him pissed off instant he saw it because he is die hard republican and views almost everyone from Cali as liberal or democrat.  Let's just say I don't talk to him anymore right now after he was defending confederate flag and statues on July 4th.

I just want to leave Austin area because too many people from everywhere have moved here.  Doesn't help when Austin would make it on best place to live or move to list in past decade or two.  Austin used to be under 500k population around 2000...  I don't even want to know what it is now.  I think I'm done with this state myself anyways.  Once this shit dies down and if I'm still alive I'll look for a new job in different state less populated.  For now I'll stick with my current job here.

So to answer your question yes some Texas cities see huge increase from other states.  Austin has always been more liberal than rest of state.  Basically here in Texas you have Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio and Houston.   All other cities/towns are mainly shit.  Heck I don't even like the other major cities because too many damn people.

Man, dont do it. Dont stop talking to people or cutting relations with them because of political/religious or whatever reasons. We are already too divided and its just getting worse. I have friends that are literally communists and even a few anarchists, and being a religious person I even have friends that basically hate religions. Never ceased my relationships with none of them because of it. We just dont talk about it and instead focus on things we enjoy.

What happened in my country since 2013 is just sad, even people inside families dont talk to each other any more and even some cases of parents vs sons/daughters.

I respect your decision but really, it just makes things worse. 

Yea I get your point it's just sometimes we start talking politics and religion then all hell breaks lose.  I keep reminding myself not to bring it up but with shit going down these days I sometimes slip.

We actually talked a little today. Usually shit hits the fan and we don't talk for week or two then eventually we start talking again.  We helped each other multiple times on different projects for each other houses and help each other more than most neighbors.   Heck I even mow and trim his front yard sometimes just for the hell of it. 

They always say don't talk about religion or politics with family members but apparently perhaps with everyone for me.  The nation is too polarized now and I don't see it getting much better even replacing trump.  The system needs to change and the first thing that needs changed is winner takes all.  The parties in power don't want to see that happen. 

Is there anyway that citizens can just vote on a referendum to change to proportional representation or a better way of counting votes because the politicians will never do it themselves?  Question for anyone to answer

Ka-pi96 said:
sethnintendo said:

Is there anyway that citizens can just vote on a referendum to change to proportional representation or a better way of counting votes because the politicians will never do it themselves?  Question for anyone to answer

The citizens of Catalonia tried voting on a referendum themselves that politicians didn't want. It didn't go so well. I'd hope the US government wouldn't be so heavy handed in their dealing of it, but with the reputation of the US police being what it is... don't hold your breath!

Although even if they did allow it, it wouldn't hold any legal weight or actually change anything so... eh.

Plus proportional representation isn't really possible for the presidential election. There's only 1 president. You can't have them be 40% democrat, 30% republican and so on

It would be more or less possible if the different secretaries would be appointed proportionally to the votes for their party.

Ka-pi96 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It would be more or less possible if the different secretaries would be appointed proportionally to the votes for their party.

Still it would surely be better to just have the senate use proportional representation instead.

Personally, my ideal system for the presidential election would be to just have it as a winner takes all election, although based on voter preference (ie. if nobody gets 50% then the weakest candidate is removed and their votes are changed to those people's 2nd choice until there's a winner). And also for it not to have any party system. So you vote for the individual candidate, rather than the party. That would allow multiple candidates from the same party to run, without harming each other too much and also give independents a chance to win. While their power would still be limited by the make-up of the senate.

I was mainly referring to proportional representation for the House and Senate races.  I'd prefer popular vote for president but if electoral college still has to exist then have the electoral votes for each state given based on the percentage of votes each candidate gets. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Still it would surely be better to just have the senate use proportional representation instead.

Personally, my ideal system for the presidential election would be to just have it as a winner takes all election, although based on voter preference (ie. if nobody gets 50% then the weakest candidate is removed and their votes are changed to those people's 2nd choice until there's a winner). And also for it not to have any party system. So you vote for the individual candidate, rather than the party. That would allow multiple candidates from the same party to run, without harming each other too much and also give independents a chance to win. While their power would still be limited by the make-up of the senate.

How about the House of Representatives instead? I mean, the number of representatives comes close to the number of electoral votes in the US, especially if you were to remove the +2 votes per state rule, as you would end up with 438 votes against 435 members of the house, the 3 extra being from DC.

So instead of voting for your house representative and separately to a person who's supposed to vote for the candidate you're supporting for the presidency, why not combine both into one?

So about 5 days ago, Kanye West is dropping out, now I'm reading he had some kind of rally on Sunday? I'm curious, was there any leadupto the rally today, or was it somehow sprung almost out of nowhere?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
So about 5 days ago, Kanye West is dropping out, now I'm reading he had some kind of rally on Sunday? I'm curious, was there any leadupto the rally today, or was it somehow sprung almost out of nowhere?

It was apparently a campaign launch rally. It was a sight to behold for sure. He stepped onto the stage wearing a bulletproof vest and with "2020" shaved into his head. He had to yell over the audience, and was frequently drowned out, because he didn't have microphone.

Thematically, he talked a lot about God and abortion and how famed abolitionist Harriet Tubman was secretly pro-slavery apparently and about the terms of his deal with Adidas and stuff like that. At one point he proposed that women should be paid $1 million each to have babies.

He's already missed deadlines to qualify for ballot access in several states.

I've been told he's a genius.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 20 July 2020

COKTOE said:

He never dropped, that was fake news. But his campaign is very roughly put together.  Hopefully he can be more organized because he brought up a lot of good points during his rally.

Trump had a Fox interview yesterday and he refused to acknowledge that he would accept the November results if he lost.