By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will prevail? Xbox Power or Playstation Speed?

Tagged games:

Pick your side!

XBOX 27 31.03%

PLAYSTATION 50 57.47%

Master Race 10 11.49%

Total:87
shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

So you got your understanding wrong, yes XSX will be more powerful. But the higher clock benefits more than the higher CU count (look DF analysis), surely it won't cover the difference of CUs that large (36 vs 52 or something like that). PS5 won't have problem with temperature, it will work the same on the fridge or hot cabinet. The fluctuation on the frequency will be small percentage to up to 10% saving on power consumption, because power will be constant (as will be heat generation on the unit) so when you get near the limit on CPU it may drop the GPU a little.

Proper reveal haven't occured yet if we look at the number of people reacting and hyping to both. But yes I do expect formal reveal and 1st party games for Xbox to be much better this time around.

Must be a benefit of the newer RDNA 2 architecture then. I remember older DF videos where they compared overclocked GPU's with the next GPU tier up with stock clock rates, and even though flops wise the overclocked GPU was a match for the larger GPU with slower clocks, the larger slower GPU was faster in real game performance. 

Well they didn't choose real world performance and since Sony choose the route of higher frequency sure they will say it is the better one, to be sure we will need to wait. But on the conference he explained why the higher frequency even if getting same tflop would give a better performance across the board. DF didn't seem to disagree and were very pleased and surprised by how high they gone.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
I doubt many will be switching systems next gen. I think Sony has a $399 price in mind for PS5, repeating the successful model of the PS4. My guess is that the XSX is going to be $499-$549. EU and Japan will still be Sony's to lose, while US and UK will be probably be a close battle. In the end, it will come down to what it always does, games, games, and more games.

Hahaha mate, go learn about tech before commenting, 400dollars? Did you even see the new SSD and audio chip? Those things are expensive, minimum of minum 450dollars if sony will take a loss, if they don't want a loss then 500dollars. Xbox will be minimum 550dollars, and that already a huge loss, it has vapor cooling, 12tf graphics, great processor, great ram, ssd, the module design, etc

(Lockhart - $299)
PS5 - $499
XBSX - $599

I can't see PS5 being any less than $449 with a sub, so I'd guess they stick with $499 and try and make Lockhart or last gen look extremely inferior. I think PS5 ends up 2:1 against both XB consoles. If by chance Lockhart doesn't show up, then 3:1 if not worse.

If both consoles end up $399 and $499 somehow, I will be stunned.

in 2014 around the release of ps4 you could actually build a pc comarable to the ps4 für 400€. for somehow comparable speccs to the ps5, you would need around 900€ no way it will be 400€ I think even 500€ is too low. unless amd release much more powerful and cheap gpus next year.

victor83fernandes said:
thismeintiel said:
I doubt many will be switching systems next gen. I think Sony has a $399 price in mind for PS5, repeating the successful model of the PS4. My guess is that the XSX is going to be $499-$549. EU and Japan will still be Sony's to lose, while US and UK will be probably be a close battle. In the end, it will come down to what it always does, games, games, and more games.

Hahaha mate, go learn about tech before commenting, 400dollars? Did you even see the new SSD and audio chip? Those things are expensive, minimum of minum 450dollars if sony will take a loss, if they don't want a loss then 500dollars. Xbox will be minimum 550dollars, and that already a huge loss, it has vapor cooling, 12tf graphics, great processor, great ram, ssd, the module design, etc

How about we try not to be dickish?  No one said anything about them breaking even at $399.  Of course they would be taking a $50+ loss, but that is still something Sony would be fine with doing.

EricHiggin said:

(Lockhart - $299)
PS5 - $499
XBSX - $599

I can't see PS5 being any less than $449 with a sub, so I'd guess they stick with $499 and try and make Lockhart or last gen look extremely inferior. I think PS5 ends up 2:1 against both XB consoles. If by chance Lockhart doesn't show up, then 3:1 if not worse.

Well, we already know Japan gives them a 8M-9M advantage.  EU should go big in Sony's favor, as usual.  NA and the UK, I can see it being pretty damn close.  Unless the launch prices are something like $399 vs $599.  In that case, MS can brag about power all they want, it won't help them.  Of course, you also have the fact that Sony will still have games that you can't get anywhere else. 

As for realistic prices, I could definitely see Sony taking a $50-$100 hit to land at a $399 price point.  This will be a very important gen for them, and PS is one of the largest pillars for the company.  They need it to succeed.  Definitely can't see them going above $449.  MS, on the other hand, are going to sell this thing as close to cost as possible.  That's why I can see it going for anywhere from $499-$599, depending on how much it sctually costs to make.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
victor83fernandes said:

How about we try not to be dickish?  No one said anything about them breaking even at $399.  Of course they would be taking a $50+ loss, but that is still something Sony would be fine with doing.

EricHiggin said:

(Lockhart - $299)
PS5 - $499
XBSX - $599

Well, we already know Japan gives them a 8M-9M advantage.  EU should go big in Sony's favor, as usual.  NA and the UK, I can see it being pretty damn close.  Unless the launch prices are something like $399 vs $599.  In that case, MS can brag about power all they want, it won't help them.  Of course, you also have the fact that Sony will still have games that you can't get anywhere else. 

As for realistic prices, I could definitely see Sony taking a $50-$100 hit to land at a $399 price point.  This will be a very important gen for them, and PS is one of the largest pillars for the company.  They need it to succeed.  Definitely can't see them going above $449.  MS, on the other hand, are going to sell this thing as close to cost as possible.  That's why I can see it going for anywhere from $499-$599, depending on how much it sctually costs to make.

Sony certainly plan on undercut MS on the higher spec consoles, that is the reason they didn't set the price. The cost is on refining calculation, the retail price already have the range they can tolerate, now they just want to be more certain of how much cheaper they can and will sell.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

My SSD's, and eventually my NVME.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

thismeintiel said:
EricHiggin said:

(Lockhart - $299)
PS5 - $499
XBSX - $599

I didn't mean $499 would be without a sub. I should have been more clear. I think even $499 would require a reasonable sub. $449 would require SNY to get more generous then they have been. Maybe they would, maybe not, but $399 seems crazy to me right now.

If MS can, and does decide to make XBSX $50 more than PS5 no matter what, then SNY might as well set their price at $499. Above that already get's MS into minor trouble. At $399 that could mean a $449 XBSX, and who wouldn't pay that much for it? $549 though? Also, if Lockhart exists, and is less than $399, then a $499 PS5 makes Lockhart look really weak and questionable to those who can afford to wait to save up for a PS5 (or buy a PS4 or Pro instead).

DonFerrari said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony certainly plan on undercut MS on the higher spec consoles, that is the reason they didn't set the price. The cost is on refining calculation, the retail price already have the range they can tolerate, now they just want to be more certain of how much cheaper they can and will sell.

Also depends on if Lockhart exists. SNY being put in the middle would make their pricing strategy that much more crucial. They are really going to want to know how much both XBSX and Lockhart cost before they put a price on PS5.

Chazore said:

My SSD's, and eventually my NVME.

NVME?

And that's Numbah 5 I believe?

It feels like this thread is designed to create a false equivalence? The Xbox is clearly a significantly more powerful machine.

We'll have to wait for some real world examples, but the Xbox is clearly targeting delivering extraordinary graphics with very, very small load times and rapid fast travel.

If MS can load games in 4 seconds, it is going to be irrelevant if Sony can load them in 2 seconds. This will only matter if there is some sort of major loading differential. Other than that, every comparison video online is just going to have better looking games on Xbox.

Now that is unlikely to shift the sales battle on its own due to Sony's enormous incumbent advantage, but lets not try and tear down MS for those things it has clearly committed to doing better.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS