By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will prevail? Xbox Power or Playstation Speed?

Tagged games:

Pick your side!

XBOX 27 31.03%

PLAYSTATION 50 57.47%

Master Race 10 11.49%

Total:87
Kyuu said:
Sony is going to initially struggle in conveying to the average consumer what makes their SSD solution special; what it'll mean to level design, and how big of an advantage it likely is. But the average consumer may inevitably understand as the exclusives start dropping and the word spreads.

Assuming Sony will be able to deliver on their promise in concerns to the advanced boost mode, the GPU TFLOPS gap between PS5 and XSX should be more marginal than PS4 vs X1 or PS4P vs X1X. To top it off, the much higher frequency on PS4 apparently means that it'll handle certain tasks better. PS4/X1X never had a SERIOUS advantage over X1/PS4P in the first place, and yet the gap this time around is much smaller. To reiterate though, it'll all depend on whether or not the variable clockrates work as efficiently as Sony claims.

As for SSD, Sony didn't just accidentally trip over and took the wrong route; they know exactly what they're doing and why they sacrificed a bit of power for this. As far as level design, I feel that PS5 will most likely have an enormous advantage that can potentially entice quite a few third parties to start making exclusives for it. MS is also aware of the significance of a standard super fast SSD but decided to capitalize on TFLOPS hype instead, which could manifest as a slightly higher resolution and little else, honestly.

Kyuu-chan!

MS also didn't blindly choose the design they did, both the XBX and XSX are work of a very commited team that knows really well what they are doing.

Even if Sony deliberatedly choose that route they were outplayed by MS in a lot of ways this time.

Sony went on about the new experience (how much of that SSD, Audio system and Controller feedback can infuence games) but MS has played really well the evolution card.

Also Sony tasking AMD with PS4 BC and MS working themselves on full BC... yeah, Sony should learn from that.

Poor PS3 deserved to have its library available for more people...

Around the Network
tripenfall said:
BraLoD said:

Next gen is sounding a lot like SNES vs Mega Drive to me.

One side has the power, the other has the speed.

Will XSX arm muscle beat up Sony?

Or will PS5 leg speed run rounds around Microsoft?

Will you Play With Power? Or will you be Blasting throught your games?

What will be games be focused on? What future we are entering into?

And most importantly, are you going to LoD next gen?

Let the war begin!

Well when you put it like that - what won the power vs speed battle in the 16 BIT era? Yep, power it was.....

It did!

Not only because of the power tho, they had the games too.

As much as I love Sega (specially Sonic 2/Streets of Rage 2 from that era, ffs, how amazing those games are!) the SNES library was overall leaps and bounds ahead of the Mega Drive.

KrspaceT said:
victor83fernandes said:

None, as always with all generations, exclusive games will dictate the outcome, of which xbox will have no exclusives for 2 years. So there's really no competition there.

I still will choose xbox if ps5 doesn't have vapor cooling and replaceable/upgradeable graphics card

PS - Just read that ps5 is not actually 10 tf, that's only overclocked sometimes, not at all times like 12tf on xbox. More and more Im leaning towards xbox.

The exclusives make the system (or launcher) in the end. Power is a fantasy. 

Third parties will have some influence too though: if developers lean more towards one style over another that would have an affect farther down the line. 

Power is not a fantasy.

Power makes new things possible.

Design may also make that possible, and simply more power doesn't automatically makes things better, but power is no fantasy, power makes difference.

That doesn't mean the Switch can't have great games because its much weaker than the competition, but having more power would make it no harm, and make possible for more things to be done there.

Power is not the most important thing, that's for sure, but power matters.

I love my 8bit games, but I'm also glad I can experience games like Horizon Zero Dawn, that's for sure.

BraLoD said:

Sony went on about the new experience (how much of that SSD, Audio system and Controller feedback can infuence games) but MS has played really well the evolution card.

Microsoft invested allot in the SSD, Audio as well, they didn't invest in the SSD as-much, but they did implement compression/decompression on a separate functional unit, but their audio is top notch and both console manufacturers impressed me on that front.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Xbox extra power leads to resolution and frame rate bumps but the bump is not nearly enough to make noticeable differences afaik. SSD speed is game changing. Both Xbox and PS5 have game changing SSD but PS5's is on another level.

Will the PS5 SSD show big gameplay changes from the XBX's? This is a question that can only be answered once we see the games.

Last edited by src - on 19 March 2020

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
starcraft said:
It feels like this thread is designed to create a false equivalence? The Xbox is clearly a significantly more powerful machine.

We'll have to wait for some real world examples, but the Xbox is clearly targeting delivering extraordinary graphics with very, very small load times and rapid fast travel.

If MS can load games in 4 seconds, it is going to be irrelevant if Sony can load them in 2 seconds. This will only matter if there is some sort of major loading differential. Other than that, every comparison video online is just going to have better looking games on Xbox.

Now that is unlikely to shift the sales battle on its own due to Sony's enormous incumbent advantage, but lets not try and tear down MS for those things it has clearly committed to doing better.

What am I tearing down from MS?

False equivalence? From what? Where is it?

The only comparision I made was with SNES and MD, don't you know the SNES was stronger than the MD?

I even specially focused on saying MS has the power on its side. It's in the title as well.

Sony speed advantage is also much more than just loading a game faster, even if I never went into that, but I won't suggest you are trying to downplay it... it's rude, you know.

You can take it any way you want, I highlighted both systems advantages and asked which system will end up in the lead. 

If you want a fully focused XB thread where XB power is the only thing we are allowed to talk about, the button to create threads is right there waiting for ya.

Tearing down MS was likely a little strong, apologies.

The thread title, and statements like 'one has the power, the other has the speed', give the impression that both consoles have some sort of equal pro and con over each other. On specs alone, it is clear that is not the case. Even on stated specs the Xbox has a clear advantage. And that doesn't account for the fact that the PS5's specs are not definitive, clock speeds on both the CPU and GPU will be allowed to fall even further than their maximum state.

On the other hand, you have speed. I really like the sound of what Sony is attempting to do with the PS5's SSD. And yet, at this stage, we have no evidence that they'll be able to deliver anything in terms of gameplay that the Xbox can't. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

The PS5 will have a lot going for it. Brand name, a very strong first party line-up, and quite likely price. Specs just aren't going to be one of those things.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Pemalite said:

starcraft said:

I read that as well, and agree that it is interesting. But again this thread likely overstates the distinction. It wouldn't be enough that Sony can do that. It would have to be the case the the MS console cannot do that. I consider it unlikely that that will be the case, as MS was surely mindful of this in designing its console with two different types of RAM.

Add to that, even in the worst case where the PS5 can somehow achieve this and the Xbox can not, it would be limited to a few very advanced PS5 games, and even then whats rendered on screen would look worse than the most advanced Xbox games - try marketing that!

The Xbox Series X only uses one type of Ram (GDDR6) and only has a single RAM pool.

The difference is due to the mis-matched memory module capacity, the memory addresses of which are exposed in software for developers to leverage.

Memory transactions work in parallel... So if you have a 2GB chip and a 1GB chip... The memory transaction will be twice as fast for the first 2GB, after that... It can only make memory transactions to the last 1Gb of the 2GB chip, halving the speed. (This is the dumb-down explanation anyway.)

Appreciate the clarification, thanks.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I think a 100% difference in throughput will provide a greater benefit to game design than a ~20% difference in horsepower. That said, most people will probably be more interested in the resolutions and frame rates of multiplatform faceoffs than load times or draw distances. Where the extra throughput will really shine is in the exclusives made specifically for it.

src said:

Xbox extra power leads to resolution and frame rate bumps but the bump is not nearly enough to make noticeable differences afaik. SSD speed is game changing. Both Xbox and PS5 have game changing SSD but PS5's is on another level.

Will the PS5 SSD show big gameplay changes from the XBX's? This is a question that can only be answered once we see the games.

We will never be sure since multiplats will need to work on both systems and exclusives we won't know if that is decision of devs, capability of them or really the SSD difference.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Let's all just take a moment to appreciate that we're not getting systems that are gimped before they even hit the market, like we did last time around. We're gonna see some REALLY gorgeous games next gen.