By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Badass Men/Boys in Gaming?

No questions about this, after 30 years of gaming, definitely Nathan Drake, in fact I cant remember a more charismatic and badass character in videogames ever. It will actually be next to impossible to come up in the future with someone better. He has the perfect personality and lines and just enough of a sense of humour to not be too much or too little. He even surpasses Lara croft as a charismatic character. More so after getting married and having a daughter and we get to know his family life, and we get to play with his daughter and learn more about him from other peoples perspective.

The big advantage of Nathan is the 3 main games came on the ps3 (same console) so gamers had the chance of getting to know him from the beginning (unlike for example Kratos or Geralt which you need to purchase a previous console to get to know them)

Also if you own a ps4 you can play all 4 Uncharted games, and they made sure of releasing the trilogy BEFORE uncharted 4, so people who didn't know the series, got the chance to get to know the character before the 4th game.

If you chose a character like Kratos and Geralt, and you only have a PS4 then you cant get to know them. Only a little part.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 12 March 2020

Around the Network
only777 said:
V-r0cK said:

Kratos. (ends thread)

This is the correct comment.

Kratos is not just the most badass man in gaming, he is the most badass character in gaming period.  No man, woman, child nor beast is more badass than the God of War himself.

I disagree, he's badass yes, but what about personality and charisma and goodness of the heart? Those are also badass traits. He's angry and a good fighter, but has a very dull personality, next to no sense of humour, with that said I love all god of war series. its just he is underdeveloped as a character.

Jaicee said:
KLAMarine said:

"because he's just a badass who happens to be a man, instead of the other way around"

>I'm struggling to understand the difference.

For clarity's sake, there is no difference. With that particular quotation, I was poking fun at JRPGfan's nonsensical response in the "Most Badass Women/Girls in Gaming" because he couldn't bring himself to contribute thereto in good faith or allow International Women's Day to pass without a contrived swipe at the feminist movement, or at whatever it is he thinks it stands for anyway.

I role-reversed his comments, along with those of some other contributors (and the original premise of the thread) that I felt struck an especially hammy or flawed chord at times to highlight the fact that nobody talks this way about boys or men, or male fiction characters either.

My goal in starting this thread was to make the point that, in a more egalitarian world, these types of special days and commemorations because wouldn't be necessary in the first place because we as a society and world would appreciate and acknowledge the contributions of women thereto as much and as often as those of men. But we're not there yet. That was really all. ...Well that and to have a little fun in the process at other people's expense.

I see... Be careful though, there is always the danger people will misunderstand you or misinterpret you and perceive it as an attack.

Kratos. Kills gods across mythologies for breakfast. Has limitless strength and stamina, is a good father, teacher and a great handyman since he can craft shit with his bare hands.

KLAMarine said:
Jaicee said:

For clarity's sake, there is no difference. With that particular quotation, I was poking fun at JRPGfan's nonsensical response in the "Most Badass Women/Girls in Gaming" because he couldn't bring himself to contribute thereto in good faith or allow International Women's Day to pass without a contrived swipe at the feminist movement, or at whatever it is he thinks it stands for anyway.

I role-reversed his comments, along with those of some other contributors (and the original premise of the thread) that I felt struck an especially hammy or flawed chord at times to highlight the fact that nobody talks this way about boys or men, or male fiction characters either.

My goal in starting this thread was to make the point that, in a more egalitarian world, these types of special days and commemorations because wouldn't be necessary in the first place because we as a society and world would appreciate and acknowledge the contributions of women thereto as much and as often as those of men. But we're not there yet. That was really all. ...Well that and to have a little fun in the process at other people's expense.

I see... Be careful though, there is always the danger people will misunderstand you or misinterpret you and perceive it as an attack.

Even now he/she continues with it.
Even admitting theres malicious intent behinde it.

Why is it okay for people to make threads, pokeing fun at people? isnt that just allowing bullying?

You piled on the "fun" earlier... and now its "people will misunderstand you".
(the problem is obviously me right? and not the one that made a thread with malicous intent? ei. lets not blame the bully).

Your downplaying it, because you agree with Jaicee.

Jaicee doesnt even even believe I've read the full OP.... suggesting I re-read it.
Yet how many others clearly didnt either, or choose to make joke male "badass" references instead, and I'm the only one she called out for "to re-read it"?

Yes Jaicee, I read the entire OP before posting in this thread.
I havnt made any comments, that would suggest otherwise have I? so why even bring that up?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 12 March 2020

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
JRPGfan said:

King Dedede is a penguin no? not really a "man". Its a animal character.

Though it could be argued its male, and thus kinda fitting into thread.

That said this entire thread by OP is like a personal attack on me, to make fun of a comment I made in another thread.
I feel like it should be locked or edited, and OP should get a temp ban for it.

KLAMarine should also get a warning for pileing on.

Since when was VGCharts a place where you where allowed to make threads to make fun of others in?

If one cannot take a little malicious humor, then I should just be permabanned now because it's part of my DNA! I wasn't seriously intending to wound your spirit, dude. If I did, I'm sorry. As you might have noticed in my selections on that thread, I happen to agree with your choice of Ellie.

Also, there was a larger point to this thread that I think you'll notice if you re-read the OP fully.

I said the same about "Rouge the Bat and Blaze the Cat (Sonic the Hedgehog franchise)" in the women/girls badass thread.

These arnt even human characters.
Why wouldnt I say the same, when in a thread about Men/boys, being badass?

I think their bad exsamples.

The people saying Kratos are right of course... assuming they're talking about Aurion.

(Just saw this thread right after setting my avatar. It must have been destined)

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

JRPGfan said:
KLAMarine said:

Even now he/she continues with it.
Even admitting theres malicious intent behinde it.

Why is it okay for people to make threads, pokeing fun at people? isnt that just allowing bullying?

You piled on the "fun" earlier... and now its "people will misunderstand you".
(the problem is obviously me right? and not the one that made a thread with malicous intent? ei. lets not blame the bully).

Your downplaying it, because you agree with Jaicee.

Jaicee doesnt even even believe I've read the full OP.... suggesting I re-read it.
Yet how many others clearly didnt either, or choose to make joke male "badass" references instead, and I'm the only one she called out for "to re-read it"?

Yes Jaicee, I read the entire OP before posting in this thread.
I havnt made any comments, that would suggest otherwise have I? so why even bring that up?

1st bolded: No that is just how you interpret her information ,i do not see where she admitted that.(''malicious intent'' is not the same as "little malicious humor'')

2st bolded: Mildly poking fun without offensive intent is far from bullying and her intent was more about her opinion on the irony of these kinda threads.

Joel from The Last of Us because he shows real bravery: He's scared but overcomes his fear and that's quite badass. Kratos because he won't just accept his faith and let the gods mess with him. Solid Snake because of pretty much everything. Link for being so stoic he literally won't say a word.

I think this is a genuinely good thread idea by the way, just like the badass women thread.

RJTM1991 said:
Jaicee said:

In other words, there's a certain sadness to International Women's Day...which is that it has to exist in the first place. It's existence reflects the sheer lack of confidence that women have in ourselves overall. Maybe if society acknowledged the contributions of women to this world as worthwhile in the everyday, like it does those of men, we wouldn't need to have a special day. That is all.

Lack of confidence? Are you kidding? Women are, and always have been, incredible. As soon as people realize that sexuality, skin colour and gender don't mean shit, the better. History is dotted with female warriors and leaders. Even during wars, they may not have been on the front lines, but they were behind the scenes. Making ammunition, keeping families, and essentially, countries running. 

There's a 71 year-old woman who goes to the jiu-jitsu dojo I train at. World class. A champion. Brown belt. She could utterly destroy me in a fight. The strongest person I know is a woman, and she doesn't expect a round of applause for having bobs and vagene. I think people need to realize that sexuality, race, and gender don't define you as a person. It's what you do with your life that makes you who you are. It's how you see things, react to things. Your personality is what makes you, you.

Also, Women's Day shouldn't exist. Neither should Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Gay Pride, or any "day" that Twitter comes up with. You should celebrate love all the time, not just when megabucks corporations can make money off it.

Excellent post, especially the bolded part. Thank you! (However, there certainly are stages and situations in life where being male or female has a significant impact, but that's a topic for another day).

In regards to the OP: Just because we don't necessarily need to worship women, why shouldn't we do it anyway? If we feel like worshipping badass women, then we'll do it.

And I find nothing wrong with either this thread about badass males or the other about badass females. We are all fans, after all, so we might as well talk about the things we love. So, here are my picks:

I considered Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil 4 and Basch von Ronsenburg from Final Fantasy XII, but they're too much hero rather than badass.