By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Now could be an awesome service if it wasn't for Sony.

0D0 said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Wow, what a dumb response.

PS Now is technically a great a service, it takes time and money to create that.

Sony putting more old 1st party PS4 could probably happen instantly. The problem is no desire to do that.

Hence, time isn't the issue. I think their strategy of holding back 1st party content is bad strategy in regard to growing the service. I'm reluctant to recommend the service for that very reason.

Wow, what an idiotic reply, Mr Puggly.

Desire doesn't drive business decisions. Even if it was just about desiring to do so, they would still have to wait some time before all other profit options dry. Adding any PS4 1st party game to PS Now would be a mistake. They would have lost those sales for no reason other than desire.

Hence, desire isn't the issue. It's business. It's profit. PS Now is a way to streaming a good collection of games that, after reasonable time though those years, have grown. There might be a time in the future where Sony will be profiting from PS5 games and PS Now might get those PS4 titles. PS Now so far is a sort of a "virtual console" and I believe it's one of its purposes. GamePass is a different thing. GamesPass is not only about streaming, it's more a kinda glorified sales deal from a console that hasn't been benefiting very well from its regular game sales.

Good, you gave up on the time argument because it was objectively ignorant. Time is clearly not the issue, the issue is Sony.

Now we agree.

A lot of the titles I am suggesting have been dirt cheap from discounts or given away on PS+. I am not necessarily suggesting PS Now get titles that still sell well or are relatively new. Although, content like that would bring in subscribers.

PS Now is not a free service. Therefore if people subscribe to play 1st party content then 1st party software is still generating revenue.

I think the your Gamepass and Xbox One comments at the end are irrelevant but I will entertain it. Gamepass in theory can fund games with millions of subscribers so its not just a "sales deal." Gamepass with enough subscribers can be a great source of revenue meanwhile games still sell on their own.

Lastly, Xbox One software sales have appeared to be doing well and I imagine the added PC support has helped greatly. So MS games can be profitable even if competitors are having more success.

Not everything Sony has done succeeded either. They had flops, studios have been closed or sold. Yet even their failures aren't found on PS Now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
0D0 said:

Wow, what an idiotic reply, Mr Puggly.

Desire doesn't drive business decisions. Even if it was just about desiring to do so, they would still have to wait some time before all other profit options dry. Adding any PS4 1st party game to PS Now would be a mistake. They would have lost those sales for no reason other than desire.

Hence, desire isn't the issue. It's business. It's profit. PS Now is a way to streaming a good collection of games that, after reasonable time though those years, have grown. There might be a time in the future where Sony will be profiting from PS5 games and PS Now might get those PS4 titles. PS Now so far is a sort of a "virtual console" and I believe it's one of its purposes. GamePass is a different thing. GamesPass is not only about streaming, it's more a kinda glorified sales deal from a console that hasn't been benefiting very well from its regular game sales.

Good, you gave up on the time argument because it was objectively ignorant. Time is clearly not the issue, the issue is Sony.

Now we agree.

A lot of the titles I am suggesting have been dirt cheap from discounts or given away on PS+. I am not necessarily suggesting PS Now get titles that still sell well or are relatively new. Although, content like that would bring in subscribers.

PS Now is not a free service. Therefore if people subscribe to play 1st party content then 1st party software is still generating revenue.

I think the your Gamepass and Xbox One comments at the end are irrelevant but I will entertain it. Gamepass in theory can fund games with millions of subscribers so its not just a "sales deal." Gamepass with enough subscribers can be a great source of revenue meanwhile games still sell on their own.

Lastly, Xbox One software sales have appeared to be doing well and I imagine the added PC support has helped greatly. So MS games can be profitable even if competitors are having more success.

Not everything Sony has done succeeded either. They had flops, studios have been closed or sold. Yet even their failures aren't found on PS Now.

Good that you gave up on Sony's desire argument, because that was objectively stupid. Desire is clearly not the issue, actually there's no issues. Sony doesn't have to just copy Gamepass, which is a bad idea for the reasons I and many others have posted before.

I'll not repeat myself on adding 1st party titles to PS Now. I've already talked about that as well as many others before, so we don't want to get boringly repetitive here.

I think that your Sony failings comments at the end are irrelevant but I will entertain it. Microsoft failure in building up 1st party content as well as drive overall sales, brought them to option of just sort of their "give away" content strategy. I've talked about that before on this thread so you can just scroll up a bit and read. The failures of Microsoft this generation are relevant for the context of what I'm talking. Past Sony failures aren't.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Now we agree.

Good that you gave up on Sony's desire argument, because that was objectively stupid. Desire is clearly not the issue, actually there's no issues. Sony doesn't have to just copy Gamepass, which is a bad idea for the reasons I and many others have posted before.

I'll not repeat myself on adding 1st party titles to PS Now. I've already talked about that as well as many others before, so we don't want to get boringly repetitive here.

I think that your Sony failings comments at the end are irrelevant but I will entertain it. Microsoft failure in building up 1st party content as well as drive overall sales, brought them to option of just sort of their "give away" content strategy. I've talked about that before on this thread so you can just scroll up a bit and read. The failures of Microsoft this generation are relevant for the context of what I'm talking. Past Sony failures aren't.

Hehe, you're surly and making no sense. I think this is what bias creates.

Who said Sony should copy Gamepass? Adding 1st party content isn't copying, its expected. Copying MS would be PS Now adding games at launch. You aren't the first to make that assumption because I can't force you guys to read before responding.

Right, we agree Sony is the problem for lack of 1st party PS4 games on PS Now. Therefore my original point stands.

Your last paragraph is a tangent and not reality. Gamepass is a subscription service, I am not sure why people think its just free.

I think its funny people think Sony content on a Sony subscription service is a bad idea. Especially the old stuff that doesen't rank in PS Store's "Top Games." Which is many 1st party PS4 games given the gen is literally ending soon.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
COKTOE said:

I missed the point? You're not serious, right? To reiterate, GTA V is still topping physical and digital sales charts almost 7 years after it's release. There's nothing to be curious about. It undoubtedly makes more sense to continue selling it separately.

I have no use for it personally, but the PS4 content on Now IS good. It's a good value proposition. Feel free to complile and post the list of games missing from Now. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling any such list will look inconsequential when weighted against the overall available library. 

There is no mystery as to why Sony is taking the stance they are with Now. Of COURSE they're taking a slightly different approach. PS to Xbox is not a 1:1 comparison. The point of entry has been different for a long time. With Xbox....Just nonstop console sales, and free game bundles. Almost all gen. I can't recall anything like it in the history of gaming, aside from short spells with companies that have given up, and are having "going out of business" liquidations. Now Gamepass. I mean, for sure, if you're in the market for Xbox, it's been pretty swell to buy into it for the past 5 or so years.

As for Horizon: Zero Dawn.... A game that is already one of the biggest selling exclusives, also given away with PS+ subs, available for dirt cheap at retail and the PS Store, and coming to PC next summer. Don't get attached! If you don't already have it, you might not get to play it after it disappears from Now and a comet wipes out civilization. I'll take your word for it that it's leaving Now next month. I would hazard a guess that it's absence will have little-to-no negative impact.

And doesn't Xbox cap the Gamepass library and rotate games in and out every month or so? I swear I see articles about games entering and disappearing from Gamepass. Better fucking buckle down and finish MGS V and Forza 5 before they're gone, and you have to choose between buying them for the price of a happy meal, or never playing them again, just like PS Now subscribers with Horizon, right?

I'm gonna keep this simple. I said PS Now is an impressive service for the price. But I think everybody in this thread would also agree it should have more 1st party PS4 content given it does push PS4 games and its run by Sony. Nobody expects day one stuff, but games that are 3+ years old won't have a negative impact on PS4, especially with the successor around the corner.

In the near future we're probably gonna see many PS5 games on PS Now, perhaps that's when Uncharted 4 will finally be added.

You've just made a compelling argument why Horizon:ZD really should stay on PS Now. It's notable title for the service and many already own it. Also, if Sony is allowing it on PC, what's the benefit of removing it from PS Now? People might subscribe to PS Now instead? God forbid!

Again, I said there is an expectation for 3rd party content to come and go. Something like Forza leaving would be a licensing issue. We won't have to see any Gran Turismo or MLB The Show games leave PS Now because they aren't there. Your examples are ignorant when compared to a 1st party game like Horizon:ZD being removed.

Your response is a bunch of nonsense. Your wit doesn't hide your lack of valid arguments.

It's not a bunch of nonsense. I've outlined why the inclusion of HZD in the PS Now lineup is not only relatively inconsequential to the service, but is likely still seen as a title that can generate solid revenue outside of a subscription model as a valid reason for it's exclusion. Also, do you get why GTA V isn't on PS Now, or are you still curious? Because I can put on a completely witless puppet show if you still need an explanation.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 31 March 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:

It's not a bunch of nonsense. I've outlined why the inclusion of HZD in the PS Now lineup is not only relatively inconsequential to the service, but is likely still seen as a title that can generate solid revenue outside of a subscription model as a valid reason for it's exclusion. Also, do you get why GTA V isn't on PS Now, or are you still curious? Because I can put on a completely witless puppet show if you still need an explanation.

Uh huh... GTAV wasn't expected to stay long term, it was very short actually. Older 1st party games though? My expectations are different.

They are about to give away Uncharted 4 to many millions on PS+, but PS Now isn't worthy? I don't get the logic. I even argue maybe PS Now users should have access to content only on PS4. Which is how Gravity Rush 2 seems to be handled.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 01 April 2020

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
COKTOE said:

Uh huh... GTAV wasn't expected to stay long term, it was very short actually. Older 1st party games though? My expectations are different.

They are about to give away Uncharted 4 to many millions on PS+, but PS Now isn't worthy? I don't get the logic. I even argue maybe PS Now users should have access to content only on PS4. Which is how Gravity Rush 2 seems to be handled.

I can certainly appreciate your expectations as a customer not being fulfilled, but HDZ and Uncharted 4 are:

A - Beyond critical mass in terms of market saturation, rendering them unimportant as drivers for the PS Now service.. And,

B -  Even without raw data of recent sales numbers, a reasonable supposition can be made that these titles are almost certainly still seen by Sony as more viable money makers existing in the realm of budget titles. Uncharted 4, and even more so, HDZ are almost constantly on offer for dirt cheap in various sales. Without looking at recent sales for the purposes of verification, I believe Horizon was sold at the $10 mark at least twice in the last 6 months. Too lazy to look, but fairly confident this was the price point during recent sales.  

Again. This game, which is 3 years old, has sold very well, was also a PS+ game, and is available for $20 at a PREMIUM price, often for half of that, is not going to drive sales for PS Now. At All.

It's the same basic, although not identical at all principle, the scum at Activision applied when they released Modern Warfare 2: Remastered a few days ago. They did so without multiplayer, so they would not spread themselves too thin, and fragment the COD MP player base among the existing Warzone and mainline series players.

Uncharted 4 being offered next month on PS+ only further detracts from it's relevance on PS Now. Of course, it will eventually come to pass that Sony goes, more or less, "all in" on PS Now, but not for while, as the overall shakeup to the market will have to be substantial. As it gains importance, PS Now will likely, eventually, engulf and become one with PS+. Even now they cannibalize each other.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Perhaps it’s a very simple reason: PS Now is available on PC.

Unlike MS who just wants you playing their games, Sony is still very much traditional and guards their 1st party behind their console paywall. If too many become available, those with gaming PCs have little reason to buy a PS...just sub in and out to play their exclusives. Which Sony doesn’t want. Not enough money going their way.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Only reason you see xbox games on gamepass is that the market share has been lost and has zero signs of coming back Inc game pass Inc the X console it's not made a difference.

I hope Sony don't start giving their games on other systems etc

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

After a couple of trials, I've taken a leap and bought a monthly pass just for the MGS HD Collection. For a streamed PS3 game, it runs quite impressively most of the time when it's not lagging or stuttering. But so far, my playthroughs of Peace Walker haven't been marred with major persistent issues.

The lack of emulation for streamed PS3 games definitely bogs down the service a bit, as there are many, many seventh gen games I would love to revisit without any kind of latency. They also need to address the application and the amount of software innit if they want to push this service as a major player for the PS5.

PS Now is incredibly underveloped. The are no PS1 games... why? PS2 SONY's crown jewel, is nonexistent; buch of crap. PS3, the most developed catalog, is missing a crap load of games especially from Japanese developers (I dont recall anything from SE on PS Now). Even at 10 bucks a month its a hard recommend.