By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Now could be an awesome service if it wasn't for Sony.

Skeeuk said:
Only reason you see xbox games on gamepass is that the market share has been lost and has zero signs of coming back Inc game pass Inc the X console it's not made a difference.

I hope Sony don't start giving their games on other systems etc

I'm not really looking to make this a console war debate, just pointing out what PS Now does well and where it fails.

The thing is PS Now has does have some 1st party PS4 games. The problem is they curated old crap as opposed to good old stuff. Hence, I get not offering the latest on PS Now. But there are plenty of notable old 1st party games that could be on PS Now with no impact on hardware sales.

Forget about Xbox. Lets look at PS Now on its own. Its run by Sony, it uses the Playstation name, it has tons of PS4 games, but not many 1st party PS4 games. As we all know Sony is prolific when it comes to that. So hey, maybe add more old 1st party PS4 games?

On a side note, I hope you didn't hear Sony is "giving away" Horizon Zero Dawn. When Sony makes deals with 3rd parties they gladly share games with PC, yet these same games still thrive on PS4. Could it be the PC audience isn't the same audience?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Uh huh... GTAV wasn't expected to stay long term, it was very short actually. Older 1st party games though? My expectations are different.

They are about to give away Uncharted 4 to many millions on PS+, but PS Now isn't worthy? I don't get the logic. I even argue maybe PS Now users should have access to content only on PS4. Which is how Gravity Rush 2 seems to be handled.

I can certainly appreciate your expectations as a customer not being fulfilled, but HDZ and Uncharted 4 are:

A - Beyond critical mass in terms of market saturation, rendering them unimportant as drivers for the PS Now service.. And,

B -  Even without raw data of recent sales numbers, a reasonable supposition can be made that these titles are almost certainly still seen by Sony as more viable money makers existing in the realm of budget titles. Uncharted 4, and even more so, HDZ are almost constantly on offer for dirt cheap in various sales. Without looking at recent sales for the purposes of verification, I believe Horizon was sold at the $10 mark at least twice in the last 6 months. Too lazy to look, but fairly confident this was the price point during recent sales.  

Again. This game, which is 3 years old, has sold very well, was also a PS+ game, and is available for $20 at a PREMIUM price, often for half of that, is not going to drive sales for PS Now. At All.

It's the same basic, although not identical at all principle, the scum at Activision applied when they released Modern Warfare 2: Remastered a few days ago. They did so without multiplayer, so they would not spread themselves too thin, and fragment the COD MP player base among the existing Warzone and mainline series players.

Uncharted 4 being offered next month on PS+ only further detracts from it's relevance on PS Now. Of course, it will eventually come to pass that Sony goes, more or less, "all in" on PS Now, but not for while, as the overall shakeup to the market will have to be substantial. As it gains importance, PS Now will likely, eventually, engulf and become one with PS+. Even now they cannibalize each other.

Forget about Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn, in this thread I've named a bunch of old 1st party games they could add. Hence, they could add significantly more 1st party content without even touching the heavy hitters.

However, if they did add a few heavy hitters even if they're old, the service would be more respected. That's objective. Sony instead opted for Knack and Killzone because they are junk.

For only the campaign, I think Modern Warfare 2 Remastered is very reasonable at $20. I read multiplayer is being worked on, but I don't know what that actually means. In my opinion they should do a Halo:MCC approach by putting all the muliplayer in one package, but maybe its too late to consider that.

I believe PS Now and PS+ will always be kept separate. Its just hard to imagine PS Now becoming really popular with its current direction.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Xxain said:
PS Now is incredibly underveloped. The are no PS1 games... why? PS2 SONY's crown jewel, is nonexistent; buch of crap. PS3, the most developed catalog, is missing a crap load of games especially from Japanese developers (I dont recall anything from SE on PS Now). Even at 10 bucks a month its a hard recommend.

It seems to me the best solution is just letting people buy games and use them on PS Now. Given the service can't offer everything.

I own PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games digitally. An ideal scenario is I would be able to access them again via PS Now or some sort of BC emulation on PS5.

Maybe that sounds crazy, but this is kinda what MS is doing already. So its certainly not impossible.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Xxain said:
PS Now is incredibly underveloped. The are no PS1 games... why? PS2 SONY's crown jewel, is nonexistent; buch of crap. PS3, the most developed catalog, is missing a crap load of games especially from Japanese developers (I dont recall anything from SE on PS Now). Even at 10 bucks a month its a hard recommend.

It seems to me the best solution is just letting people buy games and use them on PS Now. Given the service can't offer everything.

I own PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games digitally. An ideal scenario is I would be able to access them again via PS Now or some sort of BC emulation on PS5.

Maybe that sounds crazy, but this is kinda what MS is doing already. So its certainly not impossible.

What makes the situation more annoying is that the PS3/PSP have access to PS Store that has very good collection of PS1 games! What has been preventing them from just moving that PS Now? PS Now should be set up as a "Legacy Service": PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP and PS Vita, while keeping the current generation off (PS5 wont be on PS Now for example).

I believe remasters are the reason they're not doing it, but if they make the remaster that much better than it wont matter. 

The funny part is imagining that if PSNow wasn't owned by Sony it would have more Sony owned content. How does the Xcloud and Stadia fare on Sony games?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
Only reason you see xbox games on gamepass is that the market share has been lost and has zero signs of coming back Inc game pass Inc the X console it's not made a difference.

That’s right...MSs loss is my gain as a consumer. You prefer to give more money? Lol that’s a first. I saved hundreds playing GP last year...and who in their right mind wouldn’t like day 1 1st party content instead of shelling out $60x whatever you buying that year? Zero signs of coming back? Lol looks like someone missed what MS been doing the last couple years, especially with how their next gen is shaping up.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Xxain said:

Wait really? Thought the whole draw, due to lack of PS4 exclusives was the back catalog of PS1-Ps3. And you saying PS1-ps2 is not even a thing? If this is true I honestly don’t feel PSNow deserves the subs they have, it really seems like a afterthought compared to GP.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Skeeuk said:

That’s right...MSs loss is my gain as a consumer. You prefer to give more money? Lol that’s a first. I saved hundreds playing GP last year...and who in their right mind wouldn’t like day 1 1st party content instead of shelling out $60x whatever you buying that year? Zero signs of coming back? Lol looks like someone missed what MS been doing the last couple years, especially with how their next gen is shaping up.

sales2099 said:
Xxain said:

Wait really? Thought the whole draw, due to lack of PS4 exclusives was the back catalog of PS1-Ps3. And you saying PS1-ps2 is not even a thing? If this is true I honestly don’t feel PSNow deserves the subs they have, it really seems like a afterthought compared to GP.

Do you care to explain how a service that is like over 5 years, perhaps 10 years if we count since Gaikai purchase would be an afterthough compare to a service that is under one year old? Also sure I preffer to pay less than pay more, but we also know that quality have a cost and if the quality of the games Sony release would decrease because they would have less budget available since they would be selling for like 10 instead of 60 I wouldn't be happy with the end result since it is better to pay more for something good than to pay cheap for shit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
The funny part is imagining that if PSNow wasn't owned by Sony it would have more Sony owned content. How does the Xcloud and Stadia fare on Sony games?

I think you clarified Sony's strategy. The competitors aren't putting up any notable Sony 1st party games of this gen (not even old stuff), therefore Sony shouldn't either... even on their own service. Its an interesting strategy, I can't think of any other company doing that. I mean Disney+ has tons of Disney content, even new stuff. Sony though, "let them have Knack."

Recently Completed

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

sales2099 said:

Do you care to explain how a service that is like over 5 years, perhaps 10 years if we count since Gaikai purchase would be an afterthough compare to a service that is under one year old? Also sure I preffer to pay less than pay more, but we also know that quality have a cost and if the quality of the games Sony release would decrease because they would have less budget available since they would be selling for like 10 instead of 60 I wouldn't be happy with the end result since it is better to pay more for something good than to pay cheap for shit.

You said it not me. PS Now is a far older service and yet GP (2 years btw) has a more robust service to its gamers. The only real benefit PSNow offers is streaming. But you know that wasn’t what I was referring to. It’s the inclusion of all first party content instead of giving old scraps and making it available day 1. Like I said before, Xbox’s loss this gen is my gain and compared to GP, except in streaming, the competition does look like a afterthought. It would be wrong if you to assume all games going forward are somehow cheaping out because they are made for the service. Sure smaller games like Bleeding Edge were made for it, but I have seen no evidence of Forza Horizon 4 or Gears 5 being less then full content games. Yet they were both added day 1. It’s not like we can’t buy physical anymore, it’s a option and it’s not like every XB user has GP. Last edited by sales2099 - on 05 April 2020