By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Super Mario Maker 2 level sharing thread

Tagged games:

Mandalore76 said:
Zero_Revolution said:

Thanks so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed that one. I played through a few of your levels as well, your NES recreations are pretty cool. The G.I. Joe level took me more tries than I'd like to admit though lol, but it was satisfying to complete once I did. The only weird bit in any of the ones I played was the end of the SMB2 level, since the boss fight doesn't allow you to pick up the projectiles like Birdo in the original game, although I understand there aren't a lot of great alternatives. Very cool levels though.

Awesome, thanks!  Yeah, the G.I.Joe course is definitely a battle.  There's a lift on the recreation level near the Archery range.  It goes off screen just as you are entering that level of the Pit.  But if you wait for it to come back, it allows you to bypass the most enemy infested level of the Pit.  Now you know.  And knowing is half the battle.  lol

I agree on the ending of the Super Mario Bros 2 course.  I actually originally planned to put a Bullet Bill behind Birdo (Wendy) so that you could redirect the bullets at her like tossing the eggs.  Unfortunately, the bullets don't do damage to enemies, so I scrapped that idea and left it as a regular Koopaling boss battle.  Ironically, there were some other ideas that I didn't think of incorporating into the course until after uploading (like Sub-space).  I also realized I cut a chunk out of the vine climb to Birdo at the end of the course due to the vertical limitations of the horizontal main scroll.  So, I spent a lot of time last night working on a Deluxe Version of my SMB2USA course.  I was going to upload it today, but I'm glad I read your comment first.  Because, it reminded me to tweak the Birdo boss battle.  I added 2 pipes right before Birdo's platform.  1 pipe spawns dry bones to throw, and the other spawns SMB2 Mushrooms to help keep your Super Mario 2 form during the battle.  I hope you check it out and let me know what you think of the improvements.

I did use the lift a few times but kept making bad timing jumping on it. I figured I should just go through the enemies instead haha.

Those seem like some good changes, and I will definitely check out the new version next time I get on the game!

Around the Network
Zero_Revolution said:
I'll definitely have to check out the levels in this thread now that I'm back into playing the game again. Once I do I will certainly give my thoughts!

I have some levels of my own uploaded as well that are mainly one-offs. (although I'm looking to make a full super world) I'm no level designer but I'm pretty happy with them and would appreciate some feedback! I have ten uploaded but a couple of my favorites:

Soda Pop Pipes: 6KY-GMQ-SCG
Perilous Cave of Wonders: NJ0-35D-H3G
Poki Poki Panic: 7G4-YHC-DPF
Chaotic Neon Madness: 91T-9BG-YQF
Space Zone Neo: MH0-C5P-CVG

I have others with weirdly more likes on my profile if you want to check them out too lol.

I played Soda Pop Pipes last night.  That was a really fun and creative level.  Nice 10 Coin placement too, by the way.  After completing it, I ended up playing it some more until I set the World Record on it.

Mandalore76 said:
Zero_Revolution said:
I'll definitely have to check out the levels in this thread now that I'm back into playing the game again. Once I do I will certainly give my thoughts!

I have some levels of my own uploaded as well that are mainly one-offs. (although I'm looking to make a full super world) I'm no level designer but I'm pretty happy with them and would appreciate some feedback! I have ten uploaded but a couple of my favorites:

I have others with weirdly more likes on my profile if you want to check them out too lol.

I played Soda Pop Pipes last night.  That was a really fun and creative level.  Nice 10 Coin placement too, by the way.  After completing it, I ended up playing it some more until I set the World Record on it.

Thanks! That's a level idea I had for the longest time and only recently was able to create with the SMB2 mushroom. Even then not exactly how I wanted it but still was excited to make it. So I'm very happy to get positive feedback on it haha. 

Also, I played the updated SMB2 1-1 course earlier. It seems you made a lot more changes than I expected, but it definitely made it feel a bit closer to the original (in addition to some twists) and the "Birdo" fight was a lot of fun.

New course uploaded this weekend and updated to OP:

Super Mario Bros. (Glitched!)

Course ID: KV3-682-72G

Description: Imagine pulling out a classic cartridge of the original Super Mario Bros. and popping it into your NES for some good old retro platforming nostalgia. But, no matter how many times you pull the cart in and out of the system and blow into it, you can't seem to get it to work properly. Disaster has struck as garbage pixels infest your screen. The Glitch Gremlin has arrived, and he has "sh*t all over your game" with his glitches. Still, you are determined to power through and enjoy your favorite game in spite of the Glitch Gremlins efforts.

Zero_Revolution said:

I just played Chaotic Neon Madness on my lunch break.  Took me several attempts, but I made it through.  Looking at the World Record being about 20 seconds better than my time, the Timer is pretty generous (which I greatly appreciate!).  A good speedrun level overall.  I really like the use of the POW blocks to give those sections that "shimmering" effect.  I was happy to leave a Like and Stamp Comment on it.

Around the Network

I finished Super Mario Bros. 3 7-6 WKV-1DJ-PHG and 7-7 1VY-988-Y3G.  They are both weird because Nintendo didn't give you the tools in Super Mario Maker 2 too even recreate their own game accurately. 

Just shows you how much freedom Nintendo would give there developers in making a new 2d side scrolling game when they had more freedom back then then we do now. 

Mandalore76 said:
Zero_Revolution said:

I just played Chaotic Neon Madness on my lunch break.  Took me several attempts, but I made it through.  Looking at the World Record being about 20 seconds better than my time, the Timer is pretty generous (which I greatly appreciate!).  A good speedrun level overall.  I really like the use of the POW blocks to give those sections that "shimmering" effect.  I was happy to leave a Like and Stamp Comment on it.

I tried to use anything I could to make it look like bright neon colors or flashing signs haha. Thanks for the like and the feedback!

I generally think the SMB 1-1 alterations have been kinda overdone at this point in the game, but your glitched one was too funny so I enjoyed it. Also genius placement of the sound/visual effects when the first thing starts to go wrong in the course (the goomba coming out of the fire flower box) Gave it a like. :)

Shadownin64 said:

I finished Super Mario Bros. 3 7-6 WKV-1DJ-PHG and 7-7 1VY-988-Y3G.  They are both weird because Nintendo didn't give you the tools in Super Mario Maker 2 too even recreate their own game accurately. 

Just shows you how much freedom Nintendo would give there developers in making a new 2d side scrolling game when they had more freedom back then then we do now. 

I forgot to mention I did actually start playing through the super world you had set up with these since I was fortunate to have someone to play with, but he midway through stopped so I haven't finished the levels yet. Some of them are perfect recreations, but obviously there's things that just aren't really possible with the tools provided. I do think you did a great job with what you could do though, and retooling the levels that wouldn't work the same way to make them just as fun and challenging. (One I specifically remember was the world 1 level with the moving platforms, I like that you added the coin requirement to rebalance it without the moving platforms) 

I definitely have to finish playing them soon.

Zero_Revolution said:
Mandalore76 said:

I tried to use anything I could to make it look like bright neon colors or flashing signs haha. Thanks for the like and the feedback!

I generally think the SMB 1-1 alterations have been kinda overdone at this point in the game, but your glitched one was too funny so I enjoyed it. Also genius placement of the sound/visual effects when the first thing starts to go wrong in the course (the goomba coming out of the fire flower box) Gave it a like. :)

Shadownin64 said:

I forgot to mention I did actually start playing through the super world you had set up with these since I was fortunate to have someone to play with, but he midway through stopped so I haven't finished the levels yet. Some of them are perfect recreations, but obviously there's things that just aren't really possible with the tools provided. I do think you did a great job with what you could do though, and retooling the levels that wouldn't work the same way to make them just as fun and challenging. (One I specifically remember was the world 1 level with the moving platforms, I like that you added the coin requirement to rebalance it without the moving platforms) 

I definitely have to finish playing them soon.

Yes, I do agree that SMB 1-1 has indeed been done to death.  I just wanted to spam that sound effect and spread garbage tiles across the screen in the most recognizable level possible.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Shadownin64 said:

I don't think it was Nintendo's intent to include every tool required for exact recreations of their already published games for every game mode included.  But, I do agree with Zero_Revolution that you have done a great job with what you had to work with.  I finished the 2nd World recently and plan to continue, and am leaving Likes on all courses which I hadn't done so already as individual courses prior to the World Mode update.

Somebody brought to my attention that I miss typed the Course ID for my recreation of Downland.  I have corrected it on both the OP and Screenshots posts.

Downland (TRS-80 CoCo2)
Course ID: YDQ-723-X5G

While on the subject of Dowland, I edited all of the Downland screenshots into a "Map" with each Chamber's connection points lined up alongside a vintage map of the original Downland from CoCopedia ( http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Map_of_Downland ).

Adding screenshots for Dragon Fire Returns.

Dragon Fire Returns
Course ID: 5CG-BTY-R1H
Description: The King's Treasure has been stolen by an Evil Dragon. It is up to the daring Prince to reclaim it. Enter 3 strongholds protected by the Dragon and his Hatchlings.  The difficulty in the original Dragon Fire increased after every other Drawbridge + Treasure Vault completion by adding a new hazard to the Drawbridge section.  For spatial concerns, I have added the hazards to the 2nd and 3rd Drawbridges, and made each Treasure Vault more difficult to complete by putting the treasures in more difficult locations.

EDIT - Just realized I already uploaded these screenshots on 3/31/20!  So, as a bonus, here's some comparison screenshots of the Dragon Fire I played on my TRS-80 Color Computer 2 in my youth:

*For info on the original game and tons of other TRS-80 Color Computer games, http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/coco_game_list.html#dgames is a terrific source.

Last edited by Mandalore76 - on 13 May 2020