By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Poll: Which is worst, Losing exclusive GTA IV or MH3/DQ10

Superstitions are never founded properly, theres always a fallacy.

Sure the N64 failed in comparison to the SNES which didn't do as well as the NES but wait SNES still had the most sold after the NES.

It's not a curse persay it's more of a trend. Once the Wii's passion dies down and developers have come to their own conclusion about its potential (and publishers) then they will release standarized Wii stuff with small progressions in each installment.

At this point it's the manufacuters issue to license probations or something to keep the fresh games coming. As long as the developers are having fun then the game will probably be fun.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network
Ajax said:
Played out

we know those figures
but the point is, if the PS3 fails in Japan this year,
it's developer support will crumble and it will be over for the PS3

that's why losing DQ and MH going to the Wii is more dangerous than sharing GTAIV with the 360, cause a consoles condition in Japan is more important for it's third party releases, and there by console sales on the long run

The PS3 is not losing developer support in Japan. Excluding Nintendo's 1st party games, it still has all the biggest Japanese-developed franchises. RE5, MGS4, GT5 and FF13 are all much more important WW than either MH3 or DQ10, and three of those titles are PS3 exclusive, 2 of them 3rd party, and none of them are on the Wii!!!

Unless all of those titles bomb, Japanese developers are not going to abandon the PS3. Anyone wanna bet that FF13 will bomb?

I'm not going to comment further, as it feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Let me just say that I appreciate the fact the PS3 has had a dearth of titles targeted towards the Japanese market, but the importance of DQ10 and especially MH3 is being massively overstated.

(NB/ I edited my earlier post to make my point even clearer.) 

Played_Out said:
I swear VGchartz is getting more ridiculous than ever.

The OP makes an absolutely absurd suggestion that losing MH3 and DQ10 is worse than losing GTA exclusivity and most people seem to agree with him?!?

According to VGchartz data, the entire MH and DQ franchises combined have sold little more than San Andreas alone!

Even if Sony had lost FF13 exclusivity as well, it would be nowhere near as important as GTA4, and FF13 is much more important than DQ10 and MH3 combined.

To put it in perspective, gaining exclusivity for the GTA series would have sold more additional PS3s in NA/Others than the Wii has sold units in Japan.

To put it another way: if Sony had announced GTA exclusivity early on in this generation, the 360 would probably have been discontinued by now. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration... but only a bit.

Played_out

Look man, I am just saying that with the loss of "timed" exclusive of GTA IV (because the best they could have hope for was a later port to the X360) was not as bad as losing big franchises all together.  

Sony knew that as long as the game was still coming day and date of that of the X360, it wasn't  the biggest lost.  They knew Take Two was in trouble finacially and could have came and helped them but choose not to.   By doing that, Microsoft came with the cash to bring the game to the X360.  I am pretty sure with Metal Gear and Final Fantasy, it came down to "bros before hoes" sitution and they "supported" their homeland brothers Konami and Square Enix vs Take Two and Rockstar.  

But they worried about Microsoft and their money bags that they forget to watch out for Nintendo and mario money, hence losing MH and DQ series.  

And yes I know, DQ10 has not been officially anounced for any system yet so I am guilty of posting FUD.  But even so, with the development time going to DS DQ9, how long do you think you wil see a DQ10 on a home console?  And at that point in time, what console would you want to put it on? 

I'm just saying...

Japan is the smallest market. who cares?

worry about NA and EU, which is what GTA4, Haze, KZ2, etc are doing.

tombi123 said:
No way. Losing GTA4 exclusivity is way worse than losing DQX and MH3. GTA:SA sold 18M last generation. DQVIII sold about 4M worldwide. MH does crap on consoles.

Again, I understand the sells of GTA series have done exceptionally well.  But like others said on here, even at 40% of GTA IV could equal to possible to 7.2 million, WW.  Still a huge number and most of that will be with a westeren audience and fans of western games in Asia.  But DQ sales have been the strongest in Japan in that almost 5 million sold (3/4 of the sells in Japan).  As for MH series, in the past on consoles, it hasn't sold very well.  But with the surge in PSP market, that is at least a 2 mil fan base in the game.  I mean if you can get close to 1.5 million people to pick up a remake of a game that is already sell well on the platform, then know those are fans of the series and will want to play the next interation of the series.  But now that is only on the Wii...  

I equate MH popularity to that of Killzone.  People were lukewarm to the console versions but was hot for the PSP version, which now people are hot for the game on the console again. 

I'm just saying...

Around the Network

GTA4 . The game beeing exclusively made for the PS3 IMO could have pushed the PS3 to an allready even level with the 360 . MH3 is big , but I never expect it selling or pushing hardware as much as the PS version would do , and even though DQ is huge in Japan ( arguably the biggest ) its far from being a console seller in Others or US . Also , later in the PS3s lifespam we might actually see DQ series moving back on Sonys home console ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

coolestguyever said:

Japan is also the home of some of the biggest franchises and developers around.  You know Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Metriod, Grand Turismo, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, Campcom, Konami, Sega, Square Enix, Atlus, Namco Bandai, and those are just to name a few.  

But I see, those don't envolve shooting people in the face per say.  Believe it or not, the whole world is not into shooters.  A lesson even Microsoft has even picked up on. 

I'm just saying...

RPGJock said:
tombi123 said:
No way. Losing GTA4 exclusivity is way worse than losing DQX and MH3. GTA:SA sold 18M last generation. DQVIII sold about 4M worldwide. MH does crap on consoles.

Again, I understand the sells of GTA series have done exceptionally well.  But like others said on here, even at 40% of GTA IV could equal to possible to 7.2 million, WW.  Still a huge number and most of that will be with a westeren audience and fans of western games in Asia.  But DQ sales have been the strongest in Japan in that almost 5 million sold (3/4 of the sells in Japan).  As for MH series, in the past on consoles, it hasn't sold very well.  But with the surge in PSP market, that is at least a 2 mil fan base in the game.  I mean if you can get close to 1.5 million people to pick up a remake of a game that is already sell well on the platform, then know those are fans of the series and will want to play the next interation of the series.  But now that is only on the Wii...  

I equate MH popularity to that of Killzone.  People were lukewarm to the console versions but was hot for the PSP version, which now people are hot for the game on the console again. 

If 40% of GTA4 sales are on the PS3, then the PS3 has lost 60% of GTA4 sales to the 360, which it wouldn't have done if GTA4 was PS3 exclusive. 60% is 10.8M. That is a hell of a lot. No game sells close to GTA in the western market apart from Gran Turismo. GTA and GT are different genres, so they appeal to different people. 

Loosing DQX is definitely a big blow to the PS3. But because FF sells almost as much in Japan it isn't so bad. Also DQ and FF are in the same genre, unlike GTA and GT. Also JRPG fans are mostly hardcore gamers, so anybody who would have bought a PS3 for DQX, will buy a PS3 for FFXIII anyway.

RPGJock said:
coolestguyever said:

Japan is also the home of some of the biggest franchises and developers around. You know Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Metriod, Grand Turismo, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, Campcom, Konami, Sega, Square Enix, Atlus, Namco Bandai, and those are just to name a few.

But I see, those don't envolve shooting people in the face per say. Believe it or not, the whole world is not into shooters. A lesson even Microsoft has even picked up on.

They picked up on it better than anyone else this generation.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Dodece said:
Japan constitutes sixteen percent of the global console gaming market thus far this generation. The concern with this market is disproportional to its value. Grand Theft Auto no longer being launch day exclusive has far greater impact then losing two titles that while beloved in Japan are irrelevant everywhere else.

Financially for Sony losing Grand Theft Auto exclusivity was a far heavier blow for them. For consumers who already own their console the other is a heavier blow, but if given the choice Sony would probably tell you that they would much rather have an exclusive Grand Theft Auto title rather then those two games. Were the title exclusive it would generate greater sales in the other two markets, and that it turn would help them get more titles made for their console in Japan thanks largely to export potential.

Do japanese game developers, publishers and console producers also measure 16% of global console gaming market?

There you go.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.