By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBOX SERIES X OFFICIAL SPEC - Indeed it's 12 Teraflop of Navi 2 with Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing and VRS , how much will it cost ? EDIT : Add Digital Foundry analysis

Tagged games:

How much do you think it will cost in USD

more then 600 USD 7 11.29%

600 USD 16 25.81%

550 USD 8 12.90%

500 USD 31 50.00%

450 USD 0 0%

400 USD 0 0%

Total:62
EricHiggin said:
Nu-13 said:

Disagree completely.

Who the hell said that? Certainly not me. I already said I expect a $499 price tag on both ps5 and xsx. With ps5 at a small loss (up to $25) and xsx at a moderate/somewhat big loss (up to $75). And I also said that the mass market won't like that price.

I said that, and I'm just making a point in general, based off of your point.

What I'm saying is people won't be really happy unless PS and MS go out of their way to heavily subsidize the hardware, which would be asking a lot of them. They won't be super happy with a $499 price, but they also wouldn't be happy if the consoles were $399 but were only worth $399 period. You wouldn't be getting all that much more than an XB1X in that case, and who wants that for a next gen console late 2020?

The only part where I slightly disagree is the price, where as I think if both are $499, or one being even more than that, people won't be as negative as they would otherwise. That's not to say they will happily accept it all of the sudden, but they won't be as upset. Now if both consoles are over $499, then people will be angry regardless.

Please present evidence for your statement. Consumers don't care about the insides of machines and they are the ones who decide what it's worth. $399 is already on the high end of what's acceptable for a video game system, $499 is too much. The mass market doesn't care how much of a profit or loss is made on each unit. Mark my words, ps5 and xsx sales will get slow starting january 2021 if they are priced at $499.

Around the Network
Keiji said:

I don't pay for a console at a higher price than 399€.

Why though? Given it's a system you're more than likely to keep for a minimum of 5 years and have hours upon hours of enjoyment from, as far as entertainment goes... It's one of the more affordable options out there. Especially compared to the likes of Netflix, going to the cinema... etc.

You don't feel compelled to upgrade it every 2 years like a PC either, though that's more for moderate to heavy enthusiasts.

Nu-13 said:
EricHiggin said:

I said that, and I'm just making a point in general, based off of your point.

What I'm saying is people won't be really happy unless PS and MS go out of their way to heavily subsidize the hardware, which would be asking a lot of them. They won't be super happy with a $499 price, but they also wouldn't be happy if the consoles were $399 but were only worth $399 period. You wouldn't be getting all that much more than an XB1X in that case, and who wants that for a next gen console late 2020?

The only part where I slightly disagree is the price, where as I think if both are $499, or one being even more than that, people won't be as negative as they would otherwise. That's not to say they will happily accept it all of the sudden, but they won't be as upset. Now if both consoles are over $499, then people will be angry regardless.

Please present evidence for your statement. Consumers don't care about the insides of machines and they are the ones who decide what it's worth. $399 is already on the high end of what's acceptable for a video game system, $499 is too much. The mass market doesn't care how much of a profit or loss is made on each unit. Mark my words, ps5 and xsx sales will get slow starting january 2021 if they are priced at $499.

Well where was your evidence? You can't provide anything more sound than mine, so we're both just giving our opinion.

"Consumers don't care about the insides of machines"? You're telling me if PS5 is just a reskinned Pro that costs $399, that people will be ok with that, just because of the price? Then why would SNY or MS bother making newer more capable hardware?

Consumers are part of the formula, but if what they are willing to pay isn't enough, the product fails and/or ceases to exist. Either that or they have to wait for prices to fall. That's how it works.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 25 February 2020

EricHiggin said:
Nu-13 said:

Well where was your evidence? You can't provide anything more sound than mine, so we're both just giving our opinion.

"Consumers don't care about the insides of machines"? You're telling me if PS5 is just a reskinned Pro that costs $399, that people will be ok with that, just because of the price? Then why would SNY or MS bother making newer more capable hardware?

Consumers are part of the formula, but if what they are willing to pay isn't enough, the product fails and/or ceases to exist. Either that or they have to wait for prices to fall. That's how it works.

Hystorical data says hello.

I'm ignoring the pointless example that followed. But do remember that one of the most successful consoles ever was a reskinned gamecube.

Nu-13 said:
EricHiggin said:

I'm ignoring the pointless example that followed. But do remember that one of the most successful consoles ever was a reskinned gamecube.

Inflation, progress, advancement, economic stability, are all pleased to me you. Where's worldwide recession?

Reskinned GCN? Exact same internals? Same stock peripherals? No new gimmicks? Same consumer audience?

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:
EricHiggin said:

Historical data based on what? The fact that the PS2/Wii/X360/DS/3DS was the most underpowered system and sold best? That was true once, but ever since then we need more and more power to get slightly better visuals, and let's face it, 500$ today is not 500$ in 2012. I think people will be fine to pay that premium at launch Also, they will have way more room to maneuver with the pricing, down the line.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I hear it's 47 Bibleflitsens! Also, with the ray shade x splicing, I am sure we'll see some beautiful games. This is also the first home console with graphical monolomy features which will push the limits to over 430 Yutaglops.

I'd say 700 USD at least, though it is worth 1300.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ironmanDX said:
Keiji said:

I don't pay for a console at a higher price than 399€.

Why though? Given it's a system you're more than likely to keep for a minimum of 5 years and have hours upon hours of enjoyment from, as far as entertainment goes... It's one of the more affordable options out there. Especially compared to the likes of Netflix, going to the cinema... etc.

You don't feel compelled to upgrade it every 2 years like a PC either, though that's more for moderate to heavy enthusiasts.

I have a great PC yes but that's the last time. Next PC I will buy will be when mine won't work anymore. And the next one will be a very cheap one.

hunter_alien said:
Nu-13 said:

Historical data based on what? The fact that the PS2/Wii/X360/DS/3DS was the most underpowered system and sold best? That was true once, but ever since then we need more and more power to get slightly better visuals, and let's face it, 500$ today is not 500$ in 2012. I think people will be fine to pay that premium at launch Also, they will have way more room to maneuver with the pricing, down the line.

The fact that expensive consoles sold poorly.

Nu-13 said:
hunter_alien said:

The fact that expensive consoles sold poorly.

Define expensive. The PS3 did mighty well, and the base price (499$) today would be 650$ if you take into account inflation. Look, I'm not saying that I or most consumers don't want a cheap product, but considering this gen, I would be more than OK to pay for the extra oomph, and I bet most Sony/MS fans would be willing to do the same, so they can have a competent system 5-6 years down the line.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!